Patterdale keeps running off!

:doh::thumbs:

Nice one!

or I could take him to the pet shop and swap him for a hamster!? :hmm::doh:

dont believe my only options are to smack him or lock him up!

At least the dog is safe when kenneled untill you get the training sorted, If he is running away from the garden is there not a risk of him causing himself or others some harm otherwise?

MOLL.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest john2007oliver
So many people so many ideas, why do people always say "its the dog " F*ck that sh*ite people need to look at them self the dog is only as good as its handler i have two terriers, never on the lead,never run off,dont f*ckin yap all the time & do as they are told, i have never hit them or shouted at them one whistle & they are at my side & my method is Dont listen to the Sh*t that some(not all)people talk about on here, to many people get the dog thinking great i have a hunter but they know nothing about the bread, read up about the bread & how the bread should be trained before you get the dog. :wallbash::wallbash:

& thats the end of my rant :big_boss:

Thats some good advice, there are somethings that you cannot learn no matter how much you read, watch on a dvd or get told but simply come from the learning curve bonding with the dog. But at least if you do all that reading prior to getting the dog you know all the basics and what your letting yourself in for. I've never kept terriers so have never read too much into them but what i have read, i know there a handful so it will be a good few years before i go down that road, if i ever do 8)

Take this lads advice and do as much reading as possible. You said and ex-mil is going to give your dog some training. He will probably be "hard " on your dog but don't think "rrr hes treating my dog badly" Pay attention take his advice he will bring the best out of your dog

Good look with the little fella

John

• 3 weeks later...

LATEST UPDATE: TRAINING IS WORKING!

Ok went to see a Dog Trainer who works for Armed Forces training guard dogs and sniffer dogs etc...

We had him outdoors for over an hour and the little fecker was perfect, made me look like I had made it all up!

He had me calling him from various distances and he would occasionally distract the dog to see if he would still come back to me, which he did most of the time. Instead of treating him with snacks for recall he had me use a tug rope and when he came back I gave him loads of fuss and some rough play with the rope, the idea being if he see's a rabbit or squirrel etc and wants to go chase it the end result would be the same, in that he would end up shaking the shit out of the little critter if he successfully caught one, the only difference being that he has a higher success rate of getting this by coming to me for it, and he should soon start associating coming back as fun.

keeping him on a long lead when out though for the time being until im 100% confident he will come back everytime.

Still looking for somewhere we can go ratting also, as heard that this as the same effect for control and bond with the dog.

Guest ragumup
Some people make me laugh! A dog has a pack mentality. Just look at how an alpha male wolf controls it's pack. A few vocal warnings at first, then a bite to any one of them who steps out of line. I'm not advocating beating a dog, but there may come a time when vocal commands wont work, and the only thing that it will understand is a clout. You may only have to do it once, but it will work. I wish people wouldn't try to humanise animals, the relationship between man and dog is not equal, dogs don't understand being an equal, they only understand being dominant or being dominated. It's up to you which way round it is.

Those last three lines dead on :thumbs: