Patterdale keeps running off!

Got a 11mth old Patterdale, he is an awsome dog but obviously full of energy like any other patt.

He recalls in the home and garden (eventually), but over the last few weeks he has started running off at night through the woods behind the house, probably because of the squirrels/rabbits etc... and the little sh1te will not come back for love nor money or markies! well not until he is ready anyway. :wallbash:

I always use the comand 'here boy' to recall and treat and praise him when he returns, trouble is he aint really fussed with treats no matter what i give him, especially when there's vermin to chase. so how do establish that when i call i want him there imediately!? the same with when he runs off to play with otherdogs etc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear thats not good is it , you will have to think of another way of getting the dog to want to come back to you, if treats dont work any more there must be something the dog likes, with my dog i just changed my tone of voice when calling her to a higher pitched one, my husband wasnt keeen on squeeling at her outdoors but it worked for me :laugh::laugh:

Got a 11mth old Patterdale, he is an awsome dog but obviously full of energy like any other patt.

He recalls in the home and garden (eventually), but over the last few weeks he has started running off at night through the woods behind the house, probably because of the squirrels/rabbits etc... and the little sh1te will not come back for love nor money or markies! well not until he is ready anyway. :wallbash:

I always use the comand 'here boy' to recall and treat and praise him when he returns, trouble is he aint really fussed with treats no matter what i give him, especially when there's vermin to chase. so how do establish that when i call i want him there imediately!? the same with when he runs off to play with otherdogs etc.

your wording says alot.. EVENTUALLY ... make sure the little get comes back as soon as asked, no ifs no buts, give them a inch and they take a mile.. its all well and good treating him when he is good but he also needs scolded (not literaly) when he dos wrong ..ie ignore your recall...

but i must ask how is your dog able to run off at night, if mine try that the most they get is 8 feet then they run into 6ft of weld mesh,,, its called a kennel......... try keeping it secured in a run or the house

I never had the need to put him on the lead he would go out do the biz and then straight back until recently. I have him on a rope now at night when i let him out, but he cant get over to his usual spot for a crap now (because i aint walking through the brambles holding ta other end of the rope)

my goal is to have him recall instant, but having trouble getting there with him not being fussed over treats!

Guest john2007oliver

Hes a terrier and what do terriers like? A good old fight so when f**k the treats off all the will do is make him fat. Call him and when he comes back had a play fight with him. Its worth a try. My staff is a bit of a nusience at times if i get down to her height she steams in for a fight, i give her one and shes got what she wanted i got what i wanted. Might not work for you but worth a try remember its in terriers nature to run riot, and any dog would rather a big juicy rabbit than a little treat. Or you could get her a very long rope as she runs too far call her if she doesn't come back.. big yank. She might associated with wandering too far and ignoring you with getting choked out. Not very PC but thats the sort of stuff terrier types thrive off. Then again she might do what a terrier does best and do it own thing :toast:

Good luck bud

Hes a terrier and what do terriers like? A good old fight so when f**k the treats off all the will do is make him fat. Call him and when he comes back had a play fight with him. Its worth a try. My staff is a bit of a nusience at times if i get down to her height she steams in for a fight, i give her one and shes got what she wanted i got what i wanted. Might not work for you but worth a try remember its in terriers nature to run riot, and any dog would rather a big juicy rabbit than a little treat. Or you could get her a very long rope as she runs too far call her if she doesn't come back.. big yank. She might associated with wandering too far and ignoring you with getting choked out. Not very PC but thats the sort of stuff terrier types thrive off. Then again she might do what a terrier does best and do it own thing :toast:

Good luck bud

i like your idea the best..... that makes a lot of sense too. last night i got back a JRT i had given to friends three years ago. she has always been a bit shaky on the recall.. only comes back on her terms and loves to run with the pack.. but she does love a good scrap! since its been three years since i've seen her i've been reluctant to turn her loose yet.... last time i saw her it was the rear end view as she was speeding off to visit with some Golden Retrievers.... the new owners had to chase her down to bring her back..

right now anything is worth a try!!

If mine ignores me i change my voice from a nice "come on then dog" to a "RIGHT THATS IT COME ERE" then if i begin to walk towards him he comes running back full tilt!!! He knows through expirence that if i get to him before he gets to me its a slap for the little tyke!!

it works for me, but as already said its a terrier and with that said if my dog is on a sent he wont listen for nothing and is quite prepared to take a slap, its as if he loves it.

Hi............prize prick here :laugh: ................ask Harrycat if it worked.......you sound like you really want a cocker spaniel :thumbs:

yeah it probably has worked, but i wouldn't sacrifice the bond with my mutt or wouldn't have a dog to beat it!

the dog needs to know whos boss, but not fear its owner! i find spraying it in the face with water or a loud bang stops him from doing anything naughty, but not sure how hitting him for not coming back is gonna make him wanna come to me in the future! :hmm: