Tips And Advice Welcomed Greatfuly

hi all, I hve a young lurcher (11 months) and a young terrier (10 months) both are coming on quite well, except that when the lurcher catches a rabbit the terrier chases him about preventing his retrieve! Any tips or advice to help stop him doing this would be greatfuly received they are my first dogs so any advice in general would be great

Thanks

Dan

E collar will do it don't like em but in that situation where raising your voice or showing displeasure will effect the retrieve a little correction on an e collar will stop the terrier pup in its tracks and shouldn't effect the lurcher and the terrier pup should associate the correction with approaching the lurcher when Its retrieving

I've got the same problem mate, I would like to get it fixed, Krawdan seems to have his behaving themselves.

Only sorted one way at the moment - if the terrier catches, the lurcher - for the most part - doesn't interfere. But if the lurcher catches and the terrier sees it, she does interfere. I'm working on it and hopefully will solve it but I'm definitely not there yet.

• Like 1

The problem there is you got to young dogs I think if either one of them was a seasoned dog it wouldn't happen both dogs want to get in on action and to dominate all to please you try and get Lurcher to you if terrier as catched and vice versa it's hard at first with pups. Some terriers won't retreive thinking Lurcher is going to take rabbit of them then you got to get in bramble to get it not good lol atb Flacko

• Like 1

I brought my Lurcher on bringing stuff back, before she went out with terrs,let her find her way like that,so if anything bolted she could pick up with terrs worrying, maybe hold your pup back while terrier works,let stuff get on open ground,

As Flacko has said the issue really is 2 young dogs being brought on together. Think it will be difficult one to manage unless it can get a really good leave command to taught to the terrier. But terriers like being in on the action, bit of patience and plenty of training sure it can be sorted. I would say it needs sorted soon though, as it's only a matter of time before the retrieve goes Totally to pot and it may well end up in a situation where the dogs guard their catch/ run off with it especially as they hit adulthood. My old mans lurcher is similar to be fair, worked alot with terriers and nowadays he will retrieve but guards his catch pretty fiercely from the terriers, terriers have learnt if they dont catch it they leave, but in truth they have learned the hard way from a pasting by the lurcher, thankfully he is top dog so no major issue but with a more dominant terrier it could be a serious problem. Take the same lurcher out on the lamp (no terriers) perfect retriever atb

• Like 4

Thanks lads I'll take that on board and yea I never expected to end up with 2 pups won't be trying it again lol was gifted the terrier by a mate after I already had the lurcher on his own the lurcher is still retrieving so I hope I can stop the terrier before that goes to pot

Thanks again atb

Dan

I borrowed an e collar off a mate tried it tonight works a treat meant I could bring the terrier to heel after the lurcher had made his catch hopefully he'll pick it up quickly so I won't need the collar too long thanks for the advice

Atb dan

• Like 2