First Decoying Session Of 2015

Today was our first session on the pigeons. A couple of days ago I had seen a good number of pigeons feeding on some fresh drilling.

So we set up the fishing brolley hide at 9:30am and set out all the fud decoys. From our experiences last year we positioned ourselves with the light winds directly behind us and made a gap in the decoy pattern for incoming birds to land directly in front of us.

P1010063_zpsi4sufgkc.jpg

Also I set up a rest bar for us to steady our rifles on (will need to add some foam insulation plus camo tape for next time).

P1010062_zpszi9lwk9a.jpg

There were a total of three fields that the pigeons were using so a lot of the time we just had to watch from a distance as they fed in other areas. Overall we had some good consistent sport throughout the day and ended with nine plump woodies.

P1010064_zps5wc75ohy.jpg

The bar system worked a treat and the hide was so good that a couple of times pigeons landed within 10yds. Should of had at least another six or so but just need to practise some snap shooting techniques to get them as soon as they land. Mate with his HW100 pulled off a cracking headshot at 53yds with the pigeon dropping instantly.

Chris

• Like 4

Nice shooting. I have never tried decoying woodys, is it as simple as putting a few decoys out in a random pattern?

I've started decoying pigeons with the airgun since last summer when we started on a pea field. It has been a steep learning curve and I gained a lot of helpful advice from some guys off the airarms owners club website when I purchased my S410 last year. The key things I'm now starting to learn for success is create a good hide which stops you being lit up from behind (that's where the fishing brolly comes in useful), make sure you're comfortable (nice lightweight fishing chair) and have a secure support for the rifle so that it can be slid around (that horizontal bar system works a treat, far better than shooting sticks that we were using last year).

Placing the decoys with a gap where you have zeroed will help get the birds to land right where you can get them. Also you need to practise getting on aim quick and snap shooting them before they realise their new friends are a bit plastic (or foam in our case as the FUD decoys are absolutely brilliant and all the kit can be easily carried around).

Another trick is to shoot near a pylon as then you can have zero on the birds as they come in before dropping down to the pattern.

It is very addictive as long as you don't mind sitting in a hide all day, that's where good company comes in plus you can both have a selected kill area and not bother with taking turns. Overall I would say the most important thing is to be relaxed and comfortable and ready to take that shot by watching the birds coming in and preempting where they will land.

• Like 2

Sounds a great way of getting at the pigeoens,looks a good hide too,wouldn't mind spending a morning doing that when I can make the time,I'll probably rip off your whole approach and tell my shooting partner "I've had an idea..." Cheers!!

• Like 2

I don't brag. Chris has got it right. I have shot pigeon like this for a few years now every spring. I use plastic and flocked deeks out to fifty yards and always downwind where possible.

Two weeks ago I put the hide up the night afore, deeks out at first light on some sprouting wheat. Small groups of three and four, about twenty in total. It was the first outing for a new HW100 in .17.

Nice mornings bag of fifteen, just taking the odd few then letting it settle again. All head shots and the rifle is so quiet you don't really disturb them.

My best day ever with this method was 28 last year with a wee Ultra. As a method it is as good as any to fill a freezer. Ok you won't make much of a hole in numbers but it is good sport and not as noisy or expensive as cartridges.

• Like 2

Here`s a little tip i stumbled on when pigeon decoying from a good hide with an air rifle.

Put the radio on and leave it on ! :yes:

This method never stops the birds flighting in but stops them feeding and they stand where they land wondering "what is that noise" ? and gives you the perfect pigeon pose for a shot. Try it !

atb

• Like 1

Here`s a little tip i stumbled on when pigeon decoying from a good hide with an air rifle.

Put the radio on and leave it on ! :yes:

This method never stops the birds flighting in but stops them feeding and they stand where they land wondering "what is that noise" ? and gives you the perfect pigeon pose for a shot. Try it !

atb

Which channels best then? :hmm:

• Like 1

Billy Idol " It`s hot in the city tonight" seems to get `em going :tongue2:

Try the radio on you will see, i remember stumbling over this tip on the air rifle shooting dvd - Total Air Gun Hunting 2 where they sit under a sitty tree with the radio on and in a hide. So guess who had the radio on decoying pigeon :whistling: - they would land as normal but stand stock still with their head stretched upright, well i wasn`t complaining and always take the radio now .

atb

• Like 1