Ferreting Vest/waistcoat/ Net Carrier

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have something similar but mine is black patent leather...

I've just received this photo from torchie so I thought I'd add it to the post.

Torchie makes and sells harnesses like the one he's seen wearing.... He's currently working on a new batch that will be available over the summer.

Posted Images

I do have / wear a harness but I didn't get one off torchie, I had a leather one made for me some time ago.

I'm not exactly sure how much he charges for his as I've never asked,...... I'll enquire about the price & pm you.

• Like 1
Guest vin

Looks like a load of bondage gear that will maybe make your life a little bit easier....But to be totally honest I think the whole set up is a load of twaddle.

Too many straps and protruding items weighing me down and snagging on the hawthorns and brambles on the hedgerows where the nets are needed,I would be hung up on a barbed wire fence hanging by the straps.. its what i would call OTT.

I've seen a few lads use the old pinny-fore type bibs that attach to your belt or have a belt attached already...bit like market traders aprons but thick leather or canvas type stuff.

Mick Dad does the leather type belt pouches that look quite useful if you like that sort of thing... his number is on here and he,s at all the shows in the summer.

I prefer.. No Nets. . no bag., lol.

But when I do use nets..sod all that malarky..shoulder bag full of nets,drop it down on warren and chuck it about as i go along..easy and nothing to get caught up in the undergrowth etc etc.

Same here what's wrong with a game bag full of nets over the shoulder and just taking one out as you move over a burrow ,in cover I fill up my jacket and trouser pockets with nets and net away till I run out , or if I whistle and hold my arm up my son with throw nets in to me till I say stop , I'm looking for carrying less gear when I go ferreting no adding more

• Like 1

Harnesse's may not suit everyone, that I agree on but how can it be "a load of twaddle",...

What your looking at it 1 mans soloution to a problem he had & its served him well for many years..... As for the brambles, nets & barbed wire, torchie has spent decades ferreting on the dales so that isn't a problem he need be concerned about. If you watch the films or if you ever get to go ferreting with torchie you'll appreciate just how efficient a harness is in the right situation others have and have decided to try one themselves , nothing wrong in that.....

It's not adding any more gear either as your simply replacing the usual game bag......

He puts his harness on, gets his spade & lets the dog out... A system that for him,works perfectly.

I wear a harness on occasion, normally when going up to the dales or further afield to Scotland but I also use game bags..... I just select whatever's most suitable.

Atb

Guest vin

excactly...look at Torchie..he,s looks like he,s off to climb Mount Everest or something...those bags banging about on his hips and down to his knees...Add 20-30 rabbits to his load and he will be in trouble.

and on the land they are on...who the fekk needs nets when you got 2 dogs also.

Travel light when on foot is the only way as far as i'm concerned.. Just the weight of a couple of hobs in a box and a spade,dozen nets in the pockets and off you go.

Calm down vin,,lol

Each to his own ,,they look well made and handy ,,,,

Personly I prefer the bag,,,as I hate things banging round my hips and knees,,,,,,my bag has a short strap as does my ferret box,,,so there carried high on my back,,,,

Same with rabbits,,high on the shoulders,,,just make carrying weight easier..

As the years roll on I'm ditching more and more equiptemnt ,,,I realy only use a single carry box,,that can get a brace of ferts in,,,in my pocket a game carrier and a stanly knife,,,somtimes a pie,,,lol,,then the spade in hand and dog to catch ,,,simples

• Like 1

Anyway,..we have all enjoyed the excellant film clips of the lads in the Dales,..

I feel that they exhibit perfectly, the fact that you need to use methods that are proven for the areas you are working over... :yes:

All the best, and good hunting.. :victory:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2