R.i.p "indie"

My son lost his second "HANCOCK" lurcher in 12 months yesterday, he's really had a tough time of it this last year, his first was just 12 months old when she was poisoned by some "sicko" lacing bread with slug pellets and ant powder in the local park and after buying another off "Hancock" (against my better judgement) he lost her yesterday, he had to take the tough decision to have her P.T.S or her front leg removed, he took the right one and she is no longer with us.

He bought her whilst still grieving over the first bitch and it was a bad time to rush out and try to replace "Mollie" but as all young men he could not be told,Hancock breeds pet lookalike lurchers these days from dogs that have not seen either a track or field in 25 years, although I went with him to pick a pup I still tried to talk him out of it all the way there, he picked his bitch from a large young greyhound bitch mated to one of his new stud dogs "Delboy", she was a nice looker that grew into a strong bitch and although coming ferreting with us 2 or 3 times a week had the uncanny knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, at 8 months she came with my bitch on the lamp and was given some very easy "green" squatters but still she made it look hard, he would take her running with him at least 4 nights a week putting the miles in to keep her fit but still she could not catch day or night, her turning or predicting a turn of a rabbit were none existent and just seemed to lack any fieldcraft at all, we must of bushed 100's of rabbits to her that she missed with ease but still my lad was determined to get her right, then yesterday morning she popped up a rabbit in a field and ran it full speed for 40yds where a plough had been left ready for today and yes the rabbit twisted through it leaving the dog to run into it flat out, she hit it full throttle without even seeing it,slicing her shoulder/ front leg, the blood was everywhere,we rushed her to my vets who tried hard, he stopped the bleeding, 2 x-rays later and a full check of the damage it was decided she would never run again and it was either removal or PTS, he made his own decision and we buried her alongside her half sister "Mollie".He is not going to buy another until the Autumn at the earliest even though I have been offered a pup from 2 very well bred litters on the ground at the moment, time is a great healer and whatever he decides I will be there to help him through it, WM

• Like 9

sad to hear that. young men form a much stronger bond with there animals. and it smarts when you lose a pal. at that age especially, and in such a harsh and sudden manner. leaves you in shock. he will be right enough with time. and get back on the horse when he is ready..

• Like 1

Sad news WM have you still got the Sid pup haven't seen anything about him of late atb matt

The simple answer to that one is NO, he was never going to match up to my old bitch I still have here,this is the problem once you,ve only ever kept fast running dogs, SID had thrown to the grandma which was saluki based and very one paced, my bitch is over 6 now but has blistering pace and stamina to spare,never carries a knock and has not had a day in sick bay in all that time even being worked everyday and on all kinds of both quarry and terrain,I am going to breed a litter out of her and my son along with a few of my near friends will get a pup,never seen her beat by anything, my only problem is finding a stud dog that's been worked as hard with the same durability, I hope your dads keeping well matt and I will probably see you at a show soon, WM

Sad news for the lad..

Its disheartening when they don't make the grade but to leave the earth from a vets, with a bill is even more of a gut wrencher..

Hope he has better luck next time..

Shame to hear about your sons loss mate 2 in a year is some bad luck,I've got a 3/4 bred bitch out of delboy but she is very switched on always seems to be in the right place hunts well and is very keen without being wreckless only big down point is natural stamina is crap but that's expected with her being a 3/4 bred I suppose. Just goes to show how much difference there can be in litters when your churning out lots of pups. Not knocking hancock but I wouldn't get another myself either

• Like 1