Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

16 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

The few non peds(grews) I’ve saw graft an we grew up with them an called them top a the ground dogs as they jus skimmed over the wettest a plough where the heavier collie crosses we had at same time sank an made a meal of it, anyways them grews, couldn’t hack the work load, fine for a bit here an there but seemed to lose condition, a bit like some the 3/4 greys we had, work them hard an they looked shabby an lost a yard in pace, full whippets seemed to be ready to go again after a night next to cooker or fire ? don’t know what it is about them wee dogs but if they land ain’t too rough on them then they pretty much condition themselves an keep it, an can keep at it( as long as you don’t treat em like lurchers ?)

One of the reasons I reckon a lot of miners kept these small pure whippets back in the day an easey dog to live with and could always guarantee a rabbit for the pot and a bit of sport racing on a Sunday morning behind the miners welfare. Remember an older mate picking a whippet pup up from a miner at one of these meets for ten bob back in the mid 70s that turned out to be the best ten bob ever spent.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

One of the reasons I reckon a lot of miners kept these small pure whippets back in the day an easey dog to live with and could always guarantee a rabbit for the pot and a bit of sport racing on a Sunday morning behind the miners welfare. Remember an older mate picking a whippet pup up from a miner at one of these meets for ten bob back in the mid 70s that turned out to be the best ten bob ever spent.

The pure whippets were few and far between mostly all xs bred but a whippet that conforms to a whippets a whippekc I would consider were thin on the ground in the miners and industry workers households  best I seen was a fiver around that time he was around a quarter kc bred the rest of him non ped but a whippet all said and DONE ATB BILL

7 minutes ago, two crows said:

ya cant beat a bit of old puss poached or otherwise lol.

Bit like women  and fishing if it’s too easy it’s no big shake if it’s a long chase   Or harder to catch it’s more desirable and  a better sense of achievement   ?

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1