Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

5 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Yes Sandy, the first edition of Pedigree Unknown is one of my favourite books (there's one in my book case right now) and I remember Drabble as a frequent visitor to the family home when he was researching it. Unfortunately, each subsequent edition held less and less attraction for me, as he gradually changed his attitude towards traditional "Black Country ways" (as they became less and less fashionable, they also became less "market friendly") and they were gradually dropped from his book. To me, the more recent editions are a mere shadow of the original.

That first edition also contains some pictures of these same dogs, unfortunately at some point Phil offended them and as a result was "advised" not to use their photos any more and he of course respected their wishes.

Y.I.S. - Barrie

I have the same book on my shelf ?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I reckon you could write an interesting book Barrie, great post??

I'm not sure just how advisable that would be, sadly we live in an entirely different and far less tolerant world today.

I think some memories are probably best left untold, or at best occasionally shared amongst close friends over a pint. Without some of those other "special memories", it would make for a pretty boring book in the end and one which would never do justice to some very capable and knowledgeable "dog men" who were very much part of my growing up. That sort of thing has happened a bit too much in the past and albeit well intentioned, on occasions has also come back to bite us.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
50 minutes ago, Barrie said:

I'm not sure just how advisable that would be, we live in an entirely different and far less tolerant world today.

I think some memories are probably best left untold, or at best occasionally shared amongst close friends over a pint. It would make for a pretty boring book in the end and one which would never do justice to some very capable and knowledgeable "dog men" who were very much part of my growing up. That sort of thing has happened a bit too much in the past and albeit well intentioned, on occasions has also come back to bite us.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

Bollox to um Barrie tell it how it is 

Was I mean ✋

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Barrie said:

I'm not sure just how advisable that would be, sadly we live in an entirely different and far less tolerant world today.

I think some memories are probably best left untold, or at best occasionally shared amongst close friends over a pint. Without some of those other "special memories", it would make for a pretty boring book in the end and one which would never do justice to some very capable and knowledgeable "dog men" who were very much part of my growing up. That sort of thing has happened a bit too much in the past and albeit well intentioned, on occasions has also come back to bite us.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

I think you’re far too reserved in that reply Barrie, exactly what you’re saying shouldn’t be told, is exactly what needs to be told in this day and age. Our proud history as working dog men is slowly disappearing with each generation, and unless it’s written down in black and white then it’s lost. 

Get that pen to paper mate??

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I think you’re far too reserved in that reply Barrie, exactly what you’re saying shouldn’t be told, is exactly what needs to be told in this day and age. Our proud history as working dog men is slowly disappearing with each generation, and unless it’s written down in black and white then it’s lost. 

Wi ya on that ?

15 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Our proud history as working dog men is slowly disappearing with each generation, and unless it’s written down in black and white then it’s lost. 

R.H. I agree entirely and if there was anything at all in this world that would influence me in that direction it would be just that. At 74 I’m very conscious of the fact that mine is probably the last generation that will have known the likes of “Old Jack” at a truly personal level, and that only one generation on the same will apply to the likes of his son Joe (one of my absolute life time heros as I was growing up) and my father who led me down the path to where I am today (and to whom I have a lot to be grateful for).

But over the recent past, I’ve also spent far too much time in front of Government Inquiries and similar, where I’ve had to dispel and repair some of the crap which has been written in the past, typically by those who were simply massaging their own over inflated egos. Believe me it’s never been an easy task.

My father spent his 21st birthday in a German prisoner of war camp and along with countless others saw and endured things which we couldn’t even imagine, or relate to today. They did it so that future generations could live their lives as they chose. I may be naïve and possibly a little bit selfish too, but I’d like to think I honour his life and his/their sacrifices much better by using what limited time and energy I have left to do what I do now, rather than spending it committing my memories to paper and running the risk of making the same mistake as others have done in the past.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

P.S. I think we all have a right to get annoyed at what politicians have done to our way of life, but I can't imagine how this old boy must have felt ☹️

LIBERTY.JPG.090f3f5feec52e55f0c7f35a8acffc12.JPG

Edited by Barrie
To add selfishness and limited time
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Barrie said:

R.H. I agree entirely and if there was anything at all in this world that would influence me in that direction it would be just that. At 74 I’m very conscious of the fact that mine is probably the last generation that will have known the likes of “Old Jack” at a truly personal level, and that only one generation on the same will apply to the likes of his son Joe (one of my absolute life time heros as I was growing up) and my father who led me down the path to where I am today (and to whom I have a lot to be grateful for).

But over the recent past, I’ve also spent far too much time in front Government Inquiries and similar, where I’ve had to dispel and repair some of the crap which has been written in the past, typically by those who were simply massaging their own over inflated egos. Believe me it’s never been an easy task.

My father spent his 21st birthday in a German prisoner of war camp and along with countless others saw and endured things which we couldn’t even imagine, or relate to today. They did it so that future generations could live their lives as they chose. I may be naïve, but I’d like to think I honour his life and his/their sacrifices much better by doing what I do now, rather than committing my memories to paper and running the risk of making the same mistake as others have done in the past.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

P.S. I think we all have a right to get annoyed at what politicians have done to our way of life, but I can't imagine how this old boy must have felt ☹️

LIBERTY.JPG.090f3f5feec52e55f0c7f35a8acffc12.JPG

Hats off to you sir

On 24/08/2019 at 17:55, Phil Lloyd said:

I think sometimes, you have to bite the bullet and tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing,.. but the truth...?

Only when the evidence his.compelling and even then there could plea bargain. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to own a Donkey, an entire jack,it killed all my sheep on a small paddock, injured two of my dogs and ended up killing the neighbours bull terrier.My mate who rode rodeo bulls wouldn't get on it.A bloke bought it off me and castrated it and it ended up giving rides to kids at shows and never had a problem with it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2019 at 10:54, Barrie said:

Yes Sandy, the first edition of Pedigree Unknown is one of my favourite books (there's one in my book case right now) and I remember Drabble as a frequent visitor to the family home when he was researching it. Unfortunately, each subsequent edition held less and less attraction for me, as he gradually changed his attitude towards traditional "Black Country ways" (as they became less and less fashionable, they also became less "market friendly") and they were gradually dropped from his book. To me, the more recent editions are a mere shadow of the original.

That first edition also contains some pictures of these same dogs, unfortunately at some point Phil offended them and as a result was "strongly advised" not to use their photos any more. He of course "respected" those "wishes" ?.

Y.I.S. - Barrie

Found the weight in post-2041-0-86247000-1437415078_thumb.jpg.a52ab4008ac07a4398d511ad94ee831c.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1