Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Black neck said:

When did whippet s first make an appearance I'm assuming the were bred down from greyhounds dya know 

History not my best subject your best ask the audiance or phone a friend ? ?

Edited by green lurchers
14 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Black its fair ta say the peds were gotten from non peds  atb bill

Hey   History  ther black neck  Stan the man from Essex  o know it pains a few lol   was a breeder of many pure breds of animals  but best known for ped Whippets     It’s where the ped lagunas  came from  Essex ? up the road in Tiptree  early 1920s 30s  before that  fk knows lol  WbTm 

75351C50-7F61-4F25-AB48-BBAA3714B41F.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1

for Allstate that said kc stock ain't really been around that long in whippets history the kc were recognised has a whippet in 1891and coursing under rules in the sixties not far away now this his modern history of the whippet ,they have changed from the fifteenth century breeds been added has time has passed by perhaps the diversity of these breeds have stood the whippet in good stead things ain't changed the raw ingredients all be it modern are still there and being perpetuated in some lines like say the non peds ,these have illustrious pedigrees just not kc ,a whippet his a whippet when it conforms to type some just happen to be kc others not how do see the recent Derby winner non ped a whippet no more no less   We don't need ta get all hung yup on purity it's a weekness  allways will be in livestock like horse some perform better at there given vocation where by it be work race or show but like the horse off different types  the same can be said of whippets of different types they still whippets.type his the key ,and da what it's worth the modern kc working whippet his just starting ta get straightened out again from the overly massive sized breed that did not conform to a whippets standard over the last twenty yrs.atb bill

• Like 2
2 hours ago, billhardy said:

for Allstate that said kc stock ain't really been around that long in whippets history the kc were recognised has a whippet in 1891and coursing under rules in the sixties not far away now this his modern history of the whippet ,they have changed from the fifteenth century breeds been added has time has passed by perhaps the diversity of these breeds have stood the whippet in good stead things ain't changed the raw ingredients all be it modern are still there and being perpetuated in some lines like say the non peds ,these have illustrious pedigrees just not kc ,a whippet his a whippet when it conforms to type some just happen to be kc others not how do see the recent Derby winner non ped a whippet no more no less   We don't need ta get all hung yup on purity it's a weekness  allways will be in livestock like horse some perform better at there given vocation where by it be work race or show but like the horse off different types  the same can be said of whippets of different types they still whippets.type his the key ,and da what it's worth the modern kc working whippet his just starting ta get straightened out again from the overly massive sized breed that did not conform to a whippets standard over the last twenty yrs.atb bill

? .............. ? ............. ?

2 hours ago, billhardy said:

Cheers bill I knew you wunt let us down

• Haha 2

my little bitch peggy as posted befor was half whippet half coursing dog 22" she could strike the whippet pose and had bottomless stamina, good engine room, I often wondered how a litter from her back to a whippet would of turned out.

DSCF7940.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, two crows said:

my little bitch peggy as posted befor was half whippet half coursing dog 22" she could strike the whippet pose and had bottomless stamina, good engine room, I often wondered how a litter from her back to a whippet would of turned out.

DSCF7940.JPG

Back in the day of string racing heats xs heats smi finals and sweepstakes some days a good in could have five races in a afternoon stamina counts then if yas got a good un .its okay running them but winning them races one needs speed and stamina .atb bill

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, two crows said:

DSCF7940.JPG

6 minutes ago, two crows said:

DSCF7940.JPG

We had a male from Bilko he retained that roachey type backhoe was around twenty two thirty eight pound. He was kept fa work he tons in the tank plus speed he often killed threes and fours lots a the coursing lads used him fa stud ate bill

• Like 1