Can A Terrier Be Any Good If Its Not Line Family Or Inter Bred

Dilydog what do you think would happen if u put one of glyns dogs on one of your bitches and she had 8 pups how many do you think would make good terriers cause that would be just worker to worker then would it

im sure there'd be some excellent workers in there, but whether they would pass that on i don't know.

people line breed for number of reasons size, temperament, working style, nose, coat etc etc - it being "a good worker" is a given - thats the minimum it has to be.

the line breeding hopefully fixes the features you want.

Glyn and DD have obviously had a lot of good terriers, but i'm sure there will be subtle little differences in what they want from the perfect terrier.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is unfortunate we can't discuss the full working abilities of individual Terriers and what they have done, prior to being considered worthy of breeding from. Even taking the Ancestry into the equat

Gus and Sid, Gus is the smaller cobby one. He's by Sid and out of Treacle, Treacle is Floyd x Reeces Roxy, all original blood.

Nope, sorry FD she was totally unrelated and breeding unknown ! :-) When you come across an animal that impresses you so much you've got to try and bring it in. The pups from that litter are still

Posted Images

Yes mate he did me proud I can't deny it, the litter out of Jess was excellent. I've got a good picture or two of him but I won't put them up because I didn't take them and it's not my dog.

From what I've seen from this NS line, I don't think there is one out there that could come close to them for real heavy digging, they just crave work, an scary how much drive they've got. But there seems to to come a lot of bollox, politics and cringy ass licking that comes with it IMO.
  • Like 1

Foxbolter "who knows" they'd either be middle of the roads or a pile of shite or the next great thing. Like I said before, I've only got one lifetime and I haven't got all the answers "never work with animals or kids" they'll always make you look a fool.

• Like 1

I've seen nothing to equal them. I've seen/dug to 3 that were sons and daughters of DD's 'Jim' and the prey drive and sticking ability is first rate.

And Lew I think if it wasn't for the 'bollocks, politics and arse licking' as you put it, then I don't think the line would be what it is. It's only what it is because the lads that have had that blood have worked it hard, kept it tight and not just dished it out willy nilly. And not fell into the money trap like all the 'well known' old boys.

• Like 2

I think both lines of terrier would both have good noses its a must and work drive and good coats in both lines even though one line rough the other smooth there wont be much in them and im only using glyns name as a example I just want to known how many pups in the litter of 8 when entered properly would be in the [BANNED TEXT] place at the end of a dig

I've seen nothing to equal them. I've seen/dug to 3 that were sons and daughters of DD's 'Jim' and the prey drive and sticking ability is first rate.

And Lew I think if it wasn't for the 'bollocks, politics and arse licking' as you put it, then I don't think the line would be what it is. It's only what it is because the lads that have had that blood have worked it hard, kept it tight and not just dished it out willy nilly. And not fell into the money trap like all the 'well known' old boys.

. Very true

HPR, Spook worked on day one, I wouldn't call it a dig because I could see his bollocks with a flashlight from the entrance. I had massive hopes for him and I've no doubt he would of been used on my bitches sooner or later. His second dig was his last, he struggled to get on for a while but when he did I picked him up out in the field at five foot. I blame myself for his loss, I didn't rush down because he was silent, I was being a big headed fool giving it "big bollocks" saying no rush with these dogs. When I finally dug him out he was wedged in tight as a drum still in grips with his game both long dead and cold. I can honestly say I very nearly packed it up there and then. Believe it or not while I was trying to revive him I had a text on my phone, when I gave him ip as lost I looked at the text and it was the lad with his sister asking if I wanted her back because he wasn't doing anything with her, what's the chances !

That bitch has done a ton of work ever since and she's the black bitch in one of the pictures. I hadn't got the heart to have her so i offered her to the lad I was on the dig with, she dropped 8 pups two days ago, she's down to 5 now but they're doing well. I'm training him up to be my replacement, f****r gets out more than me.

• Like 2

Your right about the political shit that goes with this terrier malarkey, I bite to easy myself so I'm not judging anyone.

Big heads and big egos lol, the bloods still here whether it's me or the next man we're all just polishing turds.

I was of the opinion when I was in the groove digging anything I came across that no generation before this one had any decent terriers and none of the fuckers could use a banjo like me "fool".

I had a day out with two old boys to dig a massive old place that I know where these old farts were in regular, I've always wanted a go at it because I've never had the chance before and it was really well known back in the day. Well in went my bitch and after ratching about for a while I got a mark of six foot, bonus I thinks. Well I can tell you this, after scratching the top off I struggled my bollocks off for the next few hours, the place was bell metal. I tried my fork, bar and graft all just scratched the surface. By the time I came off that place I had a new found respect for those "useless" old boys, it was lesson learned.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 1

I always knew he would do it you can never tell how good a dogs going to be.

but i had high hopes for him i was gutted when i heard. ive never seen a dog do what he did in

that pipe that day . mind you it cost me 200 in vet with his eye you couldnt tell it

had popped could you good eye vet him . the strenth in his jaw was incredible . the only dog

ive seen with a hold like that was jack. jim was a strong dog though wasnt he .

• Like 1

That didn't make me feel any better, I'm still loosing sleep about loosing him. If there is a God I'll have his twin in this litter. Thank you for the pictures, I never took any, I didn't expect to loose him.

• Like 1

To be honest i see your post and it broughtit all back up again i always liked mullet jim well all of them to be honest that ted was a belter too wasnt he any pics of him kicking about .so i thought f**k it climbed into loft and got old computer out wasnt sure if i had any on havent looked couldnt bare it ha ha. got some as a pup too i think a few days after i picked him up. Not sure if ill get back into them after he went we'll see ill see what pics ive got they wiped most of them. be nice if you could get somets close wouldnt it

The black bitch is out of Mullet, Spooks full sister, the dog we used on her was Sid, again out of Mullet, there's every chance the litter will be what we expect but then again nothings nailed on with terriers.