Can A Terrier Be Any Good If Its Not Line Family Or Inter Bred

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is unfortunate we can't discuss the full working abilities of individual Terriers and what they have done, prior to being considered worthy of breeding from. Even taking the Ancestry into the equat

Gus and Sid, Gus is the smaller cobby one. He's by Sid and out of Treacle, Treacle is Floyd x Reeces Roxy, all original blood.

Nope, sorry FD she was totally unrelated and breeding unknown ! :-) When you come across an animal that impresses you so much you've got to try and bring it in. The pups from that litter are still

Posted Images

Dd when you introduced The Jess bitch into your breeding programs, were you not concerned about possible defects,ie eyes,mouth, bone, was she a one of. I know you have said about her working capabilitys being exceptional but for to know absolutely nothing about this bitches background/breeding you were taking one mighty risk.

I have seen a few dogs in my time of working terriers that I held in high esteem but when unable to trace there full background I preferred not to use them or stuff out of them.

Added to say I am glad it all worked out for you and your yard of terriers are a credit to you.

Any defects should of shown in the first mating and there were none. I'm in no rush to charge ahead with generation after generation so unless i was producing them on a conveyor belt it shouldn't of been a problem.

If i'm in my forties which unfortunately i am, three more generations tops should see me done and retired. As long as i'm honest with myself i can't see a problem and if all else fails stop the family where it is and revert back to square one.

I still have square one here in my yard

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 5

If you don't try you will never know . I had a dog that I dug to all over the country proved him Sen time after time he was put to four different bitchs. The idea was to keep half brothers sisters and line these back to each other . He never produced anything really worth keeping. The only time it worked was an accidental mating to his sister . It was a lot of time wasted but I had to try because he was such a good dog. This is what it's all about dd took the chance on a trusted bitch and it payed off . So good on him but like he's said he could put two of these up and coming dogs together and it might not work . Some things click some things don't and that's the fun of it. And that's where you break through and think I created that . And that's the bug that gets hold of you .

• Like 1

I wouldn't know I don't go in for weighing a terrier, I'm old school, I still span mine.

I went to the vets once to have an operation on a bitch and I remember their weight being massively over what I thought. They're real heavy for the size of them, as NS used to say they're built like breeze blocks.

• Like 3

I had two but of very poor quality, I'm no David Bailey. I had a couple given to me by a terrier man from down south that dug with DF, I can't scan them and to be honest they're to "jam sandwich" for THL

Edited by dillydog

It is unfortunate we can't discuss the full working abilities of individual Terriers and what they have done, prior to being considered worthy of breeding from. Even taking the Ancestry into the equation, with my ethos of 'best to best within a tightly bred Family'. I, personally, have never had two at the same time I wanted to breed from. Not putting myself at risk was in the forefront of my mind. Family man, Mortgage, kids, Firearm Certificate, completely clean Police Record etc, all kept me keeping myself to myself and not getting about too much. Some I saw 'go' weren't, to put it mildly, what the owners said they were. This then limited my chances of finding a worthy, opposite sex, Terrier to use to get 'prospects'. I did take a few chances over the years and one or two were OK, but then the above came in to play again. Along with losses at their work and hopefuls 'jibbing' AND, I openly admit at least one time being hasty with the Pistol, I never did rise to the Rank of a 'breeder'. I have kept travelling the Country buying and trying over my life In Terriers and am still on the 'Helter Skelter', with it's ups and downs, of life as a committed 'Terrier Man'..........lol. Time again?...............been a bit more trusting (possibly), but certainly taken one or two gambles and bred before losses and also took one or two men at their word, again possibly........lol. I might have even tried the NS stuff bred by NS at the time, I have always believed there are plenty of Skeletons in plenty of Closets too. My advice?............'The Apple doesn't fall far from the Tree' is the way I have always tried to think with everything, Game Fowl, Pitbulls, Terriers and Gypsies (LMAO)........ still do. DD, you have a well put together, typey Yard, with some workman like females, the 'Holy Grail'. You already know that though....lol. Best of luck for the future.

• Like 14

No Ben not as far as I know. I'll let anyone that I think are decent lads use any dog they want "FREE OF CHARGE" It's them that's got to pick the shit up.

That wasn't a free stud add either, if I don't know you or someone I know puts you forward it's not going to happen so don't embarrass yourself asking.

• Like 5

DD didn't you put a dog of yours over a bitch called wispa? Did u keep a pup an how did it turn out

yes he did, the bitch that we sent up to you for work and you then used a dog of your own on her and sold the pups. then offered the man who give you the bitch 1 of the smallest pups left, in my eyes your a c*ck and you would have had a few more sent up to you by now if you didn't do it. And iv been on your Facebook you telling people she's 'Stevens bred' and also your reply when we got her back was 'got the blood now anyway so don't care'. f***ing wrongun in my eyes I wouldn't give you a hob ferret.
  • Like 1