Straightening Walking Sticks.

This afternoon was so nice, I got the steamer out and straightened some sticks. I tend do as I need and usually do around 20 at a time, as that is what a steamer full of water will allow me to do.

I have two steaming pipes one short approx 4ft and one around 5ft. They both take around 5 or 6 sticks dependant on the diameter of the sticks. On the top of the tubes I have a couple of caps with a 1/8th hole drilled in them and once the steam is coming out of the holes like it does out of a kettle, the sticks are ready for straightening.

straightening%20sticks%20002_zpsh9l1br8v

I use a wallpaper stripper for the steam and just place the nozzle in a hole drilled in the bottom of the steaming tubes.

straightening%20sticks%20001_zpsdtihdgiu

straightening%20sticks%20004_zpswkilm8ka

Once they are ready for straightening I pull them out one at a time from the tubes and use my straightening jig to take the bends out of them. The jig is just 3 bun feet from an old desk set on to a piece of board,

straightening%20sticks%20003_zpsxbpdk6ze

straightening%20sticks%20010_zpswyhkiajy

A before and after shot of a couple of the sticks.

straightening%20sticks%20005_zpshay5vzfj

straightening%20sticks%20006_zpscnev0y2t

A twisty shank.

straightening%20sticks%20009_zps9p5ctxoq

straightening%20sticks%20011_zpsrn99ehki

I do not like the sticks pool cue straight as long as they can take weight without being compromised I am happy, and I think that it gives each stick a bit of character.

straightening%20sticks%20012_zpsjqkfttrb

TC

• Like 9

The pipes are water mains, off cuts from when they were laying new mains a few years ago. What they are made of I am not quite sure. It is some kind of treated plastic. Before I had these I used a variety of tubes from down pipes to a tin tube. A lot of people make a wooden steaming box, there are some on youtube.

TC

• Like 1