Bull Or Wheaten.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

most of the wheaten blood in lurchers are so diluted with other breeds that they get a bad name in most people's eyes. But it's the wheaten they blame. A wheaten beddy deerhound collie grey is somehow

Bitch on left

I have buul x grey dog and bull x weaton x grey bitch bitch I think if I had to say the bitch is harder thro cover but both very hard mouthed maybe her a bit more than him and she is more head strong,

Posted Images

Be interesting to hear from someone who has Had both .only having had bull crosses I can't comment on Wheaton crosses,although I hear they can be a bit of a handfull in their pure form

Is lucky a bradford lad? I had both xs and I think you get a better all round worker in the bull xs the wheatons can be very strange in temperament and will sicken before a well bred bull will, this is only my opinion,

I understand that j1985 but what I'm getting at is do they work the same way do they have the same characteristics or are they totally different like a collie based lurcher is to a saluki based one.

• Like 1

Would surely depend on the caliber of the dogs behind the breeding not necessarily the breeds themselves!!!

I agree.

There's a lot of lads in Ireland prefare the wheaten over the bull and I wouldn't be surprised if the bull cross was more popular in Britain because of the amount of badly bred wheatens that were sent over there.

Whereas the brits have always known what a good bull terrier is.

• Like 1

As said before, the calibre of the dogs and the breeding will be the biggest factor.

That said, my feeling is that the very best bull x lines will have the ability to perform better in terms of getting numbers with regularity.

Go back to the root stock, the bull has been tested and bred selectively for decades in the most testing of situations.

Not knocking the wheatonx, I keep them myself. And a great wheaton X would be more than enough dog for 99% of lurcher owners. (My average wheaton x is more than enough for me :thumbs: )

• Like 1

As said before, the calibre of the dogs and the breeding will be the biggest factor.

That said, my feeling is that the very best bull x lines will have the ability to perform better in terms of getting numbers with regularity.

Go back to the root stock, the bull has been tested and bred selectively for decades in the most testing of situations.

Not knocking the wheatonx, I keep them myself. And a great wheaton X would be more than enough dog for 99% of lurcher owners. (My average wheaton x is more than enough for me :thumbs: )

I should maybe qualify that statement a bit more. They would be enough for 99% of people doing pest control.

Appreciate even a great wheaton X isn't dog of choice for people running edible game on big land.

• Like 1