Fishing From A River Bank

Hey all!

Something I would like to try my hand at as only ever fished carp in lakes before.

My landlord at my new gaff owns land which the river runs through.

With his permission and a rod license am I good to go or do I need anything else?

On that note, can you recommend a good rod etc.

Seems like a good opportunity to me :D

Hey all!

Something I would like to try my hand at as only ever fished carp in lakes before.

My landlord at my new gaff owns land which the river runs through.

With his permission and a rod license am I good to go or do I need anything else?

On that note, can you recommend a good rod etc.

Seems like a good opportunity to me :D

yes you are good to go, use your carp rod or get yourself a dawia float rod,

if that was me i would also look at the ea website to see if there are any crayfish in there if there is i would get some tags for some crayfish traps

as long as he holds the fishing rights your all good.

If the river runs through his land he automatically holds the fishing rights . He can rent or give permission to a club or individual to fish if he likes but as a riperian owner (someone who's land water abuts) he will always hold personal rights which go with the ownership of the land.

Riperian Rights are enshrined in Law and cannot be separated form the Land. A person holding the Land abutting water has automatic rights to it whether they like it or not!.

If , rather than just rent the fishing rights to a club ,the owner rents a strip of land abutting the river to a club along with the right to fish ,the club become riperian holders .

Many clubs, as part of such agreements, have a rule stating something like ",Owners and occupiers of land adjacent to the fishery are considered de facto members of the club, " so that they stay on the right side of the locals.

So yes,with a licence and the owner's permission you can fish ;once the river fishing season starts on June 16th.

The sort of rod you might want depends on the river . A rod suitable for float fishing and light ledgering can be had very cheaply these days . If the river is wide,deep or reed fringed a rod under ten or eleven feet might leave you feeling under-gunned. On a small ,overgrown river ,a rod around 9ft is more maneuvrable .

• Like 1

carp fishing is about who's got the most expensive of everything, hence why I don't do it.

River fishing is more about enjoying your surroundings, I haven't got expensive gear but I catch my fair share of fish, and have my fair share of blanks, but I'd choose watching kingfishers all day over looking at 10 bivvys, any light rod with a simple set up will see you having a good day, as long as your sole focus isn't just catching fish.

tight lines.

• Like 4

There are two options in there:

- if you wish to relax and enjoy the landscape as the other fellows already said focus on a light rod, very thin fishing line (0.14 would be best) and tiny (no.16-18) hooks with a light float; use maggots as bait or thin earthworms - you will catch lots of small to medium fish but you will have fun.

- second option would be to get yourself some heavy gear - the carp rod which you can use as a feeder (even if it was not meant for this :) ) - a coarse groundbait mixed with a little clay (you have to launch it at least 10-15m above your fishing spot) and some thick earthworms (add 2-3 on hook - they are always better than boillies ;) ) - this way you can get a big carp or if there are any in there you can also trap a lazy catfish. That's the way we catch the "monsters" when fishing the Danube in here.

All the best!

Bogdan