Easter Weekend Walk Out..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was two Red Stags but I was to busy watching them I forgot to take a pic so only one albeit a long way off ...          

This was a really good big Red hind..                      

Had myself a wander up the Fells yesterday, it was as busy as Tesco on a Saturday afternoon,weather was summer like in fact I've got sunburnt haha..anyways never expected to see anything as I knew how

Posted Images

Fuji all looking well mate

Cheers Stevie ?...

To be honest Sailor I bred Don purposely as a rabbit dog for lamping,he done good in that sphere,unfortunately a freak accident due to a Roe kicking out resulted in him losing an eye,the dog has the drive and focus of a Greyhound when in pursuit and as I liked the dog I didn't want to risk him killing himself lamping a poxy rabbit with his limited vision so it was a change of plan with him if he were to continue hunting,he took to other forms of hunting without a hiccup,he ferrets grand,hunts like a hound,in fact the Keeper on an Estate he hunts on would rather have Don doing the hunting then a pack of hounds lol..he goes digging with the terriers and hunts the forestry blocks,clearfell,moors and mountains with great success so he has gone from just a rabbiting cur to a bit of a jack of all trades lol,he loves work probably more so than any dog I've ever owned? My plan was to always breed him with Swift,she has the same sire as Don that being Jack my Minshaw bred dog..as that would keep them 1/2 Jack (Minshaw) 1/4 Collie 1/4 Coursing Bred but I will see how that pans out in the future? I like Don's hunting ability and would like to keep that if possible by having a pup out of him but I'm not sure Swift would offer that as she doesn't know what her nose is for,she very sight orientated..for lamping those two would IMO breed real big bag fillers and that was always my thing but time moves on and I've kind of changed track but I won't say never as you never know what's around the corner in this game ?

• Like 7

Fuji all looking well mate

Cheers Stevie ...

To be honest Sailor I bred Don purposely as a rabbit dog for lamping,he done good in that sphere,unfortunately a freak accident due to a Roe kicking out resulted in him losing an eye,the dog has the drive and focus of a Greyhound when in pursuit and as I liked the dog I didn't want to risk him killing himself lamping a poxy rabbit with his limited vision so it was a change of plan with him if he were to continue hunting,he took to other forms of hunting without a hiccup,he ferrets grand,hunts like a hound,in fact the Keeper on an Estate he hunts on would rather have Don doing the hunting then a pack of hounds lol..he goes digging with the terriers and hunts the forestry blocks,clearfell,moors and mountains with great success so he has gone from just a rabbiting cur to a bit of a jack of all trades lol,he loves work probably more so than any dog I've ever owned? My plan was to always breed him with Swift,she has the same sire as Don that being Jack my Minshaw bred dog..as that would keep them 1/2 Jack (Minshaw) 1/4 Collie 1/4 Coursing Bred but I will see how that pans out in the future? I like Don's hunting ability and would like to keep that if possible by having a pup out of him but I'm not sure Swift would offer that as she doesn't know what her nose is for,she very sight orientated..for lamping those two would IMO breed real big bag fillers and that was always my thing but time moves on and I've kind of changed track but I won't say never as you never know what's around the corner in this game

just because swift dont know what the black blob in front of her if for, does not mean her off spring to Don wont. Personaly, I'd be tempted to go over both a good coursing bitch that can use her nose, and good sturdy bitch excelling at the jack of all trades that Don does. Collie based of course! :victory:

• Like 1

Yeah,that's very true Trench,Jack both their sires was the same,I only ever lamped him,he never EVER caught anything in the daytime not even a bunny lol yet Don hunts superb and Swift don't..thing is Don dog got took out much more during the day after his mishap and learnt if he wanted a munch on anything he better go look for it lol,Swift has been 90% used for lamping and the remainder just point and slip duty so hasn't been given the chance really to go search & seek ? I know Tomo's Venus the sister of Swift adapted to ferreting,marking and hunting up when given the chance so its not as though she couldn't or wouldn't do it if given plenty of chances ?

Its surprising what cur bred lurchers can do when given a free rein. One of mine deposited the entire contents of a den, including the mother, on the yard yesterday. Black as the fire back he was, on barely a scratch on him! There's more to a good dog than a slip and a torch :yes:

• Like 3