Grab Yourself A Bargain!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fair comments nicepix. You are basing your opinion on traps that've been subject to a hard life ,I'm basing mine on a couple of new items. Probably the answer to the Universe lays somewhere between .

As promised, the results of my first attempts using the much ridiculed "Grab yourself a bargain, Beagle mole trap " -special offer ;£7 inc postage. So I bought two. Two little domestic jobs c

I have one of these i now use it to hold all the pens and pencils in the van Iwm

Posted Images

I agree that they look absurd but has anyone actually tried them?

The one i have in the van will not set and feels very weak dont think i would risk it !!, I can push the pens through it with one hand.

iwm

I've handled them and give them a good looking at. IMO they suffer from two massive problems. The first being that the profile is square and the bottom of the square trapping wire is corrugated for no reason other than cause suspicion by the mole when entering the trap. The second major problem is that the plastic trigger mechanism is prone to sticking due to soil getting into the trap. When it sticks it would not be possible for a mole to trigger the trap.

I contacted the company about these issues and almost immediately the inventor e-mailed me suggesting that the traps needed washing out with soapy water to free the triggers. He wouldn't accept that the faults meant the traps were useless and kept trying to sell me some. The guy is a first rate idiot.

I took the traps back to my customer. Since then I've come across quite a few laid about in people's gardens. Seems like they can catch the gullible better than they catch moles ;)

It is the same for Mole Scarers that simply vibrate every 30 seconds to scare the moles away, plenty of folk by them, use them then call in a professional. I tell the owner that you see moles along main roads, if 44 tonne trucks rumbling past don`t scare the moles, then your battery operated vibrator (no rude thoughts please) wont help (well not for moles) :boogy::boogy:

It is the same for Mole Scarers that simply vibrate every 30 seconds to scare the moles away, plenty of folk by them, use them then call in a professional. I tell the owner that you see moles along main roads, if 44 tonne trucks rumbling past don`t scare the moles, then your battery operated vibrator (no rude thoughts please) wont help (well not for moles) :boogy::boogy:

I've seen them heaved up :laugh:

Comanche. Post me one to try please. I will pay the postage both ways.

Can't knock it until you have tried it I suppose.

MOXY

Comanche. Post me one to try please. I will pay the postage both ways.

Can't knock it until you have tried it I suppose.

Well They arrived and I took one look at them and .... They look Ok. I can see them working in the right conditions. In fact I can't see why they won't and I have them in the ground in a couple of gardens along with some Talpex. I don't reckon they'll stand up to rattling around a farm in a muddy bucket but for the back-garden jobs they have a rather benign look to them that won't alarm the sort of customer who goes all"sensitive" at the sight of a bag of malevolent-looking metal clampy things .

The triggers are very sensitive,the springs on mine give the finger a good pinch and they are easy to seal in the run.

As someone mentioned ; the hole the trigger hangs from is quite big and could allow mud to enter but I think a turn or two of tape could easily reduce the hole without affecting trigger movement. Mind you the big hole would also make rinsing the mechanism out under a tap a doddle .Its a Catch22 situation. I'll give em a fair chance and if they work I'll post pictures . If they don't I'll be honest and slink away like the gullible fool I am when faced with intriguing , trappy things on special offer . :)

PS, just noticed that they being advertised at the full (rather exorbitant ) price again.

Edited by comanche

As promised, the results of my first attempts using the much ridiculed "Grab yourself a bargain, Beagle mole trap " -special offer ;£7 inc postage.

So I bought two.

Two little domestic jobs conveniently provided the testing grounds. I set two Talpex and a Beagle in each garden . The result was a mole from each site-one in a Talpex and one in one in a Beagle !

What's more while some think the whole concept of a plastic mole trap is a joke; the mole had not died laughing! .

It was decisively caught with no sign of death-throw scrabbling to indicate anything other than a quick demise.

A combination of firm soil and the mole-runs at a convenient depth meant the body of the trap was well-supported in a tight hole. Whether the beagle would be effective in sandy or more friable soil or for use in shallow runs might be questionable.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and it takes forty moleskins to make waistcoat n'all that.

Gimmick or another string to the bow?

But ,yeh, I tried one and it worked .

post-13773-0-73427300-1428598904_thumb.jpg

This was an exciting moment-the plunger was raised indicating the trap had been triggered. But was it full of mud or mole?

post-13773-0-75002600-1428599132_thumb.jpg

":)"

post-13773-0-71983900-1428599347_thumb.jpg

Traps from Talpex & Beagle, glove from Poundland.

Yes , I am looking for a sponsorship deal :)

Edited by comanche
  • Like 5

From talking to my customers who have tried the green brick the main problem is the trap either being filled or lifted out of the ground. The traps I have examined have all had sticky triggers. So much so they were unusable. I will be interested in hearing how you get on once the trap has been in the soil a few times.

Edited by Nicepix

From talking to my customers who have tried the green brick the main problem is the trap either being filled or lifted out of the ground. The traps I have examined have all had sticky triggers. So much so they were unusable. I will be interested in hearing how you get on once the trap has been in the soil a few times.

I wonder if the customers would have had any more success with conventional traps. It's also possible the triggers had been subjected to frustrated abuse before you got to handle the traps ;there is a glaringly simple trick to setting them...once you know how.The terms failed DIY mole-catcher and "customer" are not alien to each other .

"The one i have in the van will not set "

iwm

I had the same trouble at first and wondered if my trap had been cursed with a Johnny Ringo trigger Luckily I had a "Eureka" moment and it all became clear. Or you may have snapped-off the little shoulders the trigger sits on.

I'm not saying I'm rushing to buy a load more-certainly not at the recommended price!- but curiosity has been satisfied.

Edited by comanche

The whole ethos about these traps is "Easy Set" i.e. you just press down the handle and that is that. However, when I have tried that with five or six traps I've found laid about in various gardens the trigger has been extremely hard to operate. When I discussed this with the guy who invented the trap he admitted that the trigger mechanism was prone to becoming jammed due to soil ingress. He suggested washing the trap out with soapy water and then rinsing it. My view is that a trap that is designed to be put into soil should not fail because of soil ingress. For example; how do you know when placing the trap that it has not jammed?

As regards the examples I've handled all being subject to operator abuse, well let's say it is possible. But it might be more likely that your brand new shiny traps might also fail given a few outings.

As a matter of interest would you buy more of these traps at eight quid apiece for your professional work?

The whole ethos about these traps is "Easy Set" i.e. you just press down the handle and that is that. However, when I have tried that with five or six traps I've found laid about in various gardens the trigger has been extremely hard to operate. When I discussed this with the guy who invented the trap he admitted that the trigger mechanism was prone to becoming jammed due to soil ingress. He suggested washing the trap out with soapy water and then rinsing it. My view is that a trap that is designed to be put into soil should not fail because of soil ingress. For example; how do you know when placing the trap that it has not jammed?

As regards the examples I've handled all being subject to operator abuse, well let's say it is possible. But it might be more likely that your brand new shiny traps might also fail given a few outings.

As a matter of interest would you buy more of these traps at eight quid apiece for your professional work?

fair comments nicepix. You are basing your opinion on traps that've been subject to a hard life ,I'm basing mine on a couple of new items. Probably the answer to the Universe lays somewhere between .

To be fair I have the advantage of having the original wrapper that suggests that the trap should be rinsed-out if dirt gets inside. Certainly dirt that has congealed inside an abandoned trap over a period of time is going to give problems.

I may be a numpty but I can't see how,set correctly in an appropriate situation, the trap can fill with soil during setting.The trigger-hole opens into the void of the tunnel. I'm assuming your customers have not just been pressing the things through the turf . A trap of any kind plugged by a mole or left abandoned will need cleaning out and a bit of work and I can see that a long-neglected plastic device like the Beagle might not respond to the tlc that would put a metal trap back in order.

You set em like any other mole trap and like any other mole trap its best done with care and field-craft.

In the firm conditions I used them in they seemed fine. In sandy or very friable ground I doubt they would seal so easily and in shallow runs stability could be a problem but I've not tried them in those conditions and probably won't as I have plenty of other traps that'll do the job.

Would I buy em if they were a lot cheaper? I might get a couple if the ones I have prove OK for what I'll use them for but I've no urgency to buy any more traps at the moment ,of any kind.

Clearly nicepix you ain't impressed by the second-hand specimens you've encountered and don't feel happy with the design and having faith in a trap is being halfway to success (no jokes about a well-endowed gentlemen called Cess please) .

The Beagle is not going to change the face of mole-catching. Its just another-if novel- version of the willow stick and noose design and it intrigued me..

Bloomin Ell. I didn't come here for an argument ,to change anyone's opinion,or to flog Beagle mole traps or to get involved in unpaid long-term field tests ,or offer free instruction on mole-catching.

I just wanted to try one and see if catching a mole with one was the challenge people seemed to think it would be . And I caught a mole .

End of!

All the best to Beagle haters and lovers alike :thumbs:

Edited by comanche
  • Like 7

I can believe the beagle caught one, but the talpex, really???

I bought two to see what all the fuss was about, damned if I can catch a bloody mole in one! Tried all the tricks of setting them posted on here. Best use I can think of for them is sea fishing weights.

Duffus all the way.