Breeding Plans

I have half thoughts of breeding from each of my three, at various points. . . . whether it will ever happen though, is another thing all together.

Wouldn't mind getting a pup out of the whip, or at least getting his blood on the ground. It would either have to be to a decent small lurcher, or possibly even my collie. Want to replace him, with a similar little mooching / ratching dog, handy for bunnys, ratting, ferreting etc. He will be six next birthday, so time is ticking on.

Have started to think about breeding my young bitch one day, maybe three years from now. Would look to put a collie/bull/grey type over her. Although at the same time, maybe it's just less hassle to source a quality pup, either a collie/bull/grey or i've been quite fancying a 3/8 5/8 bull/grey.

And finally, little Gwen. One day I will 100% breed from her to keep a couple back . . . . i'll never let the line go. . . . . i'd never get i back! (It's not my line).

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will definitely be breeding from my bitch TILLY soon for a number of reasons ... She has a fantastic temperament ...She has endless stamina ... Massive prey drive to the point of being suicidel ...

jest curios to whats out there but if i see the right dog work who nows ? if i dont get a pup out of spider it will be a pup from my ruby hope fully to cesar if he dose well over the next 4 or 5 seas

Thinking about putting a sort of all rounder over my blue bitch something with abit of collie in it maybe in about 2/3 years nothing certain !

Posted Images

I have half thoughts of breeding from each of my three, at various points. . . . whether it will ever happen though, is another thing all together.

Wouldn't mind getting a pup out of the whip, or at least getting his blood on the ground. It would either have to be to a decent small lurcher, or possibly even my collie. Want to replace him, with a similar little mooching / ratching dog, handy for bunnys, ratting, ferreting etc. He will be six next birthday, so time is ticking on.

Have started to think about breeding my young bitch one day, maybe three years from now. Would look to put a collie/bull/grey type over her. Although at the same time, maybe it's just less hassle to source a quality pup, either a collie/bull/grey or i've been quite fancying a 3/8 5/8 bull/grey.

And finally, little Gwen. One day I will 100% breed from her to keep a couple back . . . . i'll never let the line go. . . . . i'd never get i back! (It's not my line).

A whippet like yours over a smallish 23" lurcher would be ideal for the rabbiting, ratting, ferreting, mooching job in my opinion.

I would put a whippet over my brindle bitch if I was going down that route. And if she was worth breeding from. Which she isn't and isn't likely to be ?

But that shape/stamp/size would be ideal for producing smaller lurchers I think...

DSC_0317_zpsxrejqvri.jpg

• Like 1

what breeding plans do you guys have now or in the next 5 years or sow some pics of your dogs you are thinking of breeding would be good

I used to beat myself up over all this now I'm pretty much leaning towards brother sister matings if I get two that I like. I just did it last year and I am very pleased with the results.

Would like to take a pup from this lad put to something simularily bred after a couple more seasons. If he keeps doing what hes doing for me now . Hes fairly tight on sooty sam so some might argue that an outcross to different lines would be a better option and im not completely ignoring the idea but i think its worth the risk (sticking with the line)to increase my chances of getting something back off him that works / acts like him.

im no breeder so i would like to hear opinions from people that know there way around a ped or have a good understanding of genetics. Dogs ped name is blue pride of ireland , ped is on whippet archives, ive no idea how to add link. If somebody could.. much apprieciated! Anyway .. question is this ..after looking at ped and seeing how this dog is bred, if you really liked what you had and knew he was fairly typical of his line would you breed this particular dog back to an s.s line bitch or take a chance on an outcross ? Any opinions welcome

http://thewhippetarchives.net/details.php?id=180733

There's plenty of sooty Sam stuff about

so maybe try something else lol

thanks for the link. Like you say, there is loads of that stuff around but my aim would be to produce something exaclty like him ( in a perfect senario) and i know he is fairly typical of his lineage. So breeding to a good bitch of the same blood would make sence but the question still stands.. is it time to outcross for health reasons ?

what breeding plans do you guys have now or in the next 5 years or sow some pics of your dogs you are thinking of breeding would be good

I used to beat myself up over all this now I'm pretty much leaning towards brother sister matings if I get two that I like. I just did it last year and I am very pleased with the results.

hi dan i did that about 8 years ago with very good resalts.did you have any monged pups all mine were fine one was a bit small all others very evan

you looking for abit of fresh blood to go into your dogs dave or you just being curios to whats going to be about? i am waiting for some one to say they have used spider pig over there bitch has hes got some good rabbiting dogs in his breeding.

jest curios to whats out there but if i see the right dog work who nows ? if i dont get a pup out of spider it will be a pup from my ruby hope fully to cesar if he dose well over the next 4 or 5 seasons im looking to keep the size of the pups up so wont go back to any smaller dogs that iv bred my self.few pics of my lot from today.

Picture%203343_zps0vidjakq.jpg

Picture%204329_zps9tbnz81r.jpg

Picture%204327_zps1xmhmjbh.jpg

Picture%204324_zps2xcljugf.jpg

Picture%204323_zpsjihh1g7q.jpg

Picture%204313_zpsr87ylhrf.jpg

Picture%204322_zpswv7mzvop.jpg

Picture%204315_zpsynav1h62.jpg

Picture%204318_zpsf0ookymm.jpg

Picture%204320_zpsgoovvfxn.jpg

Picture%204317_zpsfjpkkrfg.jpg

this is one from last week

Picture%204309_zpsxkd4me6k.jpg

That black and white dog is a cracker

thanks for the link. Like you say, there is loads of that stuff around but my aim would be to produce something exaclty like him ( in a perfect senario) and i know he is fairly typical of his lineage. So breeding to a good bitch of the same blood would make sence but the question still stands.. is it time to outcross for health reasons ?
don't think it would hurt,as a/sam is in there quite a it ,but my knowledge on whippets is nowt

Maybe a whippet forum can tell you what has worked in similar situations.

Do you want to keep the ikc registration,if not maybe a non-ped racing type

don't think it would hurt,as a/sam is in there quite a it ,but my knowledge on whippets is nowt

Maybe a whippet forum can tell you what has worked in similar situations.

Do you want to keep the ikc registration,if not maybe a non-ped racing type

thanks for taking the time to look over ped and reply roybo. If i did look for an outcross in future , i think i would lean towards racing lines as the ground i hunt on the daily is all short tight runs so i would think ide have a better chance of throwing sharp little dogs that could do well on this ground. But there lies a problem... How many whippet racing inthusiasts would want to use a working bred whippet over ther good little racing bred bitch. Either way, thers no hurry so im sure the right bitch will cross my path at some stage. Thanks A.t.b bren..