What Birds Have You Got Nesting?

Paulus, they are giving the holes a spring clean.......this is prior to them starting to build, using moss and then finishing with feather/hair.....like I said earlier, the blue tits have their chicks hatching to co-incide with the explosion of edible protein available... :thumbs:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The male wren builds loads of nests then takes the female around them and she chooses which nest she will lay in.   TC

At the moment we've got Blue tit's in all the boxes. Robins in the stable, in a flower pot and in the wood store, in a box my boy made, all with eggs. Wrens nests almost every where they can, in the

I would be surprised if a blue tit has young at this time of year. There is no food for the young. In fact, I'd go further and say that I would be surprised to see a blue tit on eggs even.   The way

Posted Images

Paulus, they are giving the holes a spring clean.......this is prior to them starting to build, using moss and then finishing with feather/hair.....like I said earlier, the blue tits have their chicks hatching to co-incide with the explosion of edible protein available... :thumbs:

same as the sparrowhawks wait until most other birds have fledged.

I would be surprised if a blue tit has young at this time of year. There is no food for the young. In fact, I'd go further and say that I would be surprised to see a blue tit on eggs even.

The way to tell if the wren is using the nest is to look for a feathered lining....and fresh moss to the entrance hole....

Cock nests are always bare.

iv got pics of a robins on eggs and 2 longtail tits nests with eggs in so dont see why a blue tit wont be on eggs

Trust me...they won't. Both robin and Ltt are early breeders, blue tits are not. :victory:

You can easily prove me wrong pip, just check a few nest boxes out and see how many eggs you find.....

you could well be right j but the way the climate has changed in recent years anything is possible

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

One chick has hatched in the Robins nest in the wood store.

Does anyone know how long between eggs hatching?

I'll check on the other nests when I get a mo.

A female robin will start brooding the eggs properly as soon as the clutch is complete. Once she's sat tight the male will be relied upon to feed her on the nest. After about 12-13 days the chicks will hatch. :thumbs:

I've been watching black birds and starlings stealing my bedding and chicken feathers for nest building recently, love them the starlings are new to our place never been here before for nesting. Stunning birds, and cause they're used to me they just dander about even when I walk toward them they don't fly away.

BUT I'm missing my swallows :cray: no sign of them yet, every year since I've been here they have made nests in my pig house 3 nests usually, absolutely love them, they make the nests in the rafters - also aren't very very frightened of me which is good, ables me to sit down and watch them flying in and out getting food to feed their newly hatched chicks!! Quite a sight to watch.

Hurry up swallows Im missing yous :laugh:

Edit to add I'll get some pictures if and when they do come :thumbs:

Edited by MoChara