Bit of plastic pipe, a drill the same diameter as your pipe and something to collect it in and your away. Seen old Mr Mears collecting it years ago on tv. I like the way he plugged the hole with clay when he was done. I think youve just missed the season though Darren. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wild-food/tapping-the-birch-tree-for-sap-in-march-collecting-birch-sap-a-clean-sugar-rich-water.html

• Like 1

Bit of plastic pipe, a drill the same diameter as your pipe and something to collect it in and your away. Seen old Mr Mears collecting it years ago on tv. I like the way he plugged the hole with clay when he was done. I think youve just missed the season though Darren. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wild-food/tapping-the-birch-tree-for-sap-in-march-collecting-birch-sap-a-clean-sugar-rich-water.html

Do you think so mate, the saps not up that much up here in the birch anyway,

your running out of time for the sap collecting, its more the start of march rather than aprill in the midlands

the way to do it is to drill the tree in march and watch, when the first tree starts then drill the rest PDQ

average is a gallon per tree and then seal the hole. if you boil it down like maple sugar its about 5 litres in and a small bottle out. lol

we do wine mainly

Called in a mates earlier and got offered a glass of something a bit different to the usual, birch sap. Meant to be very good for the body.

Anyone try it?

A few times. Bit sweet for my liking. Full of natural sugars.

Climbed a fair few birch knock off a peg at the base of the crown. . Hang a pot. Climb and dismantle the tree or a thin and have a fresh tipple to come down to. Sawdust and all.

I have been today and drilled one tree and there's hardly any sap showing, it looks like it's just starting to rise up where I am,

Not rising here yet. Seasons are to cock.

you only tap once a year in the spring and only when the sap is rising

you can collect mapel which you all know about

the other famous on is birch, which comes from our northern european countries

but you can also tap and turn to wines,

sycamore, walnut theres a few others but i cant remember them, must have made poor wines other wise they stay in the brain cells, lol

i did my birch trees three weeks ago in the last warm spell and it was poor to ok, so you are still in luck waiting for the main flows

I have been today and drilled one tree and there's hardly any sap showing, it looks like it's just starting to rise up where I am,

Not rising here yet. Seasons are to cock.

just been into wood there was around a inch of sap yesterday, tonight the jars full so will have to find the yeast and get it going, shows what one day of warm weather will do,