What Were They Called?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How can you even compare a lollipop to a stick of liquorice, let alone says it's better ? They're not even in the same league !! Liquorice all the way !

Anyone remember those chocolate fags used to buy,rip part the White paper off end so chocolate showed through so it looked like a filter, Well I used to lol

Sherbert fountain ... My missus has just walked out eating one lol .......

Posted Images

Sherbet dabs are better, the lollipop is nicer than liquorice, but beggars can't be choosers in our house, I just nick whatever the missus brings :D :D

How can you even compare a lollipop to a stick of liquorice, let alone says it's better ? They're not even in the same league !! Liquorice all the way !

Well you can get 3 times the amount of sherbet on a lollipop for a start, and as long as you're not a greedy sod and don't bite the lollipop lasts longer. These things mattered when I was 6 or 7 and only got sixpence a week pocket money.... :laugh:

• Like 1

Used to like milk bottles , them black & white ones the same shape as jubbly , jubbly's in the summer & wagon wheels which were huge , red liquorice ...

Red liquorice...?? Heathen !!

Livin on the edge mate .....

• Like 2

Sherbet dabs are better, the lollipop is nicer than liquorice, but beggars can't be choosers in our house, I just nick whatever the missus brings :D :D

Well you can get 3 times the amount of sherbet on a lollipop for a start, and as long as you're not a greedy sod and don't bite the lollipop lasts longer. These things mattered when I was 6 or 7 and only got sixpence a week pocket money.... :laugh:

"When I were't lad, we used to dream of sixpence pocket money.....!"

"CAPSTICK COMES HOME - Tony Capstick:

My sister has just confirmed that liquorice is better than lollipops,because (quote)......

"We used ta purrit in a bottle o' watter and shek it up - mek us own pop !".........

So that's that settled, then !

• Like 2

A quarter of black currant and licorice... 25p

You don't see sweets being weighed from jars these days, do you ?

Probably some edict from Brussels, banning it on the grounds of dangers to shopkeepers from falling jar injuries, or some such bull5hit !

Last I saw was early 2000's. Weight's and measures act meant calibrating scales for EU approval. And you had to sell in metric. :rolleyes:

Can still buy a quart of sweets out of a jar in some sweet shops round here guys.. :)

One of the most traditional sweet shops in the country Cloughs in Heaton Newcastle

Its been a sweet shop for over 110 years and became Cloughs in the early thirties

Still looks the same as when old woman Clough worked behind the counter exept it was glass jars when i was a kid

post-88157-0-03591300-1427918058.jpg

• Like 2