Cage Trapped Foxes

You can transport livestock short distances without a certificate( I know the abbatoir I take my sheep to is with in the limit.)but you are responsible for their welfare and I don't think tying a fox in a sack would be considered acceptable. Then there are rules about abandoning an animal to consider from a welfare point of view. I know its a fox and would probably find its feet quickly enough but abandoning it where it might be shot or left bewildered or where it might be tempted to try to find its way home over busy roads might not sit right with someone who really got the bit between their teeth for a prosecution.

I'm being a bit anoraky possibly but dealing with it humanely on- site has to be the best way. There may be someone on this site who could pop round for the price of a pint or two.

• Like 5

You ever tried gettin a feckin fox in a sack lol

Years ago and I do mean years ago live foxes was my thing .Only got bit twice but the nerves creep in as you get older and reactions slower .To the OP ,its onsite mate or risk prosecution if stopped .

PS IF you do move the trap to a better place watch your fingers through the mesh .Better to use zip ties then lift with these and don't shoot on a concrete floor obviously .

I do believe it's against the law to transport a live wild animals a Fox is not live stock

No, it's not against the law to transport wildlife.

BUT........ once 'captive' any animal becomes 'livestock' for legal purposes :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more with Matt's comments.

Section 4 of The Animal Welfare Act 2006 covers "unnecessary Suffering". This would apply to the fox in YOUR cage as the fox would be deemed under your control and responsibility.

I would dispatch on-site under the cover of a taurpaline to prevent on-lookers using either a moderated .22 rimfire or moderated .410 depending on your initial risk assessment.

Transporting to 'another' site to dispatch shouldn't be considered with regards to animal welfare and disease management.

The use of a non-FAC air rifle to dispatch a fox in a trap is really questionable.

Not trying to teach people to suck eggs but if this procedure is not carried out humanely and compassionately it simply stokes up the fire for the anti's.

Edited by Urban Fox Control London
  • Like 2

I never understand this move it away from prying eyes. Who gives a flying fook about busy bodies.

If what you are doing is perfectly legal and above board shoot it on site with the appropriate method.

Your cage trapping for a reason cause there vermin pests and need controlling, your not trapping them to take there picture!

• Like 3