Rodent Carcass Disposal

I am registered as a lower tier waste carrier and have always diposed of rodent bodies in my domestic bin , double bagged.

The council new I did this ,

Now Friday ,they have back tracked and said this is no longer allowed , what the f~~~. :cray:

I aked them if I was a householder and caught a rat or mouse in my garden how would I dispose of it , they told me I could put it in the bin. :hmm:

Any ideas , please lads as to what I do now , I have looked on the BPCA website , and there is a contact number on there for rodent disposal .

They are 'controlled waste' if they are produced as part of a commercial activity. However, wild animals are 'exempt' from the Animal (By Products) regulations.

Where did they come from? I'd suggest you stop taking them home and either put them into the householders bin if they come from domestic jobs, or the normal commercial waste bin on commercial jobs.

As soon as you put them into your van, you are creating waste which you have to dispose of through commercial waste disposal channels.

If you create no waste, you don't have to pay to get rid of it.

Hazardous waste, which all rodenticide/pesticides come under needs a traceable trail for disposal.Unless of course your not a professional then double bagging in the domestic bin is alright. ???

There are companies out there who will take your waste away for you at a charge, is there a pet crematorium near you? they may be able to incinerate the waste for you?

atb

They are 'controlled waste' if they are produced as part of a commercial activity. However, wild animals are 'exempt' from the Animal (By Products) regulations.t.

have you got a link to that legislation please Matt? I've been having a to do with our local council about putting deer bones in the bin and they said I couldn't due to the animal by products legislation?

yes , professional

They are 'controlled waste' if they are produced as part of a commercial activity. However, wild animals are 'exempt' from the Animal (By Products) regulations.

Where did they come from? I'd suggest you stop taking them home and either put them into the householders bin if they come from domestic jobs, or the normal commercial waste bin on commercial jobs.

As soon as you put them into your van, you are creating waste which you have to dispose of through commercial waste disposal channels.

If you create no waste, you don't have to pay to get rid of it.

thanks Matt, that maybe/is the answer, just leave them on the job.

That in a way is what the council have told me,,, ;) , i.e . a member of the general public can put a rodent carcass in their bin , but I as a business can no longer do this.

Many thanks , that sounds a simple solution.

Basically the only hazardous waste I will have now will be rodenticide packaging and empty phostoxin flasks.

They are 'controlled waste' if they are produced as part of a commercial activity. However, wild animals are 'exempt' from the Animal (By Products) regulations.t.

have you got a link to that legislation please Matt? I've been having a to do with our local council about putting deer bones in the bin and they said I couldn't due to the animal by products legislation?

Just google the Animal (By Products) Regulations and you can clearly see that 'wild' animals are exempt :yes:

Just get a dog like mine, one of the few things he excels at is rodent carcass disposal, although you may have to let them rot a little, not too much though or he'll just smother himself in the putrid remnants.

I have had one of those... :bad: :bad: :bad:

TC

• Like 1

Put any in the black bag with the ferret hutch mess then in the council bin

If you are providing a 'commercial' service that is a dangerous habit to get into :yes:

When (or if) you are found out, you will likely get a big fine, and also backdated charges :yes:

Like I said recently; don't make life hard for yourself. You are paid to kill stuff, not remove it. :thumbs:

Put any in the black bag with the ferret hutch mess then in the council bin

If you are providing a 'commercial' service that is a dangerous habit to get into :yes:

When (or if) you are found out, you will likely get a big fine, and also backdated charges :yes:

Like I said recently; don't make life hard for yourself. You are paid to kill stuff, not remove it. :thumbs:

Matt , thanks for all your advice , I have tried the internet for an answer , the environment agency , who where very helpful and my local council, who where not!!!

But you have the simplest answer do not remove the waste , then it is not yours and still classed as domestic waste which can go in the bin.

Many thanks once again , hopefully this has helped a couple of others as well.

• Like 1