• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ohh make no mistake the bds will be at the forefront of a move to compulsory access to a trained dog the simple reason being they will know they can make money from certifying the dogs/handlers as com

Well that makes me the worst kind of arsehole. LOL   f**k you...

I have & do head shoot , close range only , 60 /70 m & only of a bipod .Shooting paper at distance has no relavence to shooting deer at distance other than to confirm zero ..

Posted Images

Youve been missed Cap .

I do look in now and then for a read foxdropper but give up on posting due to some of the replies from certain individuals and made a decision a while ago not to stick my head above the parapet to get covered in the crap that some postees try to lob my way.

:tongue2:

So far it seems to be working :laugh:

Cheers

Stu.

• Like 2

Well this post went down like a wet fart .

Nothing unusual there then :angel:

:laugh:

Not really stu, I didn't reply as I didn't agree with him, and didn't want to start an argument,I would never teach a dog to define individual a foot scent of a deer ,the dog is there to follow injured deer up only,I always taught my deer dogs to follow blood,to define the foot scent of a individual animal on a deer trod in scotland would be amazing, and there hundreds of them in some woods, and to trust that would be a long long day,crawling through pine forest,its the blood the dog should be on that picks one animal out of them all,or should do if hit in the first place,and the beauty of that is you can trust the dog to follow off lead,of course you can't stop a dog air scenting/or foot scenting but you can confirm what its following by the the sign of blood its self,the blood should be the main focus of a deer dog,not foot scent it will then follow up any injured animal extremely accurately,and keep us within the boundaries of the law on hunting with dogs,

First and foremost in my view access to a trained deer dog will become compulsary and in some leases especially those administered by the Forestry Commision they are making it conditional on the lease.

However not every person involved in stalking deer owns a deer dog. I dont own one myself but I find it prudent that I do have different contact and communication to one if the situation arises.

I can usually track any run on deer using my own field craft skills but there has been a few occasions that I have been close to loosing one, perhaps I have been fortunate in my endevours so I dont rule out that this will never happen to me, any one with any modecum of experience would be foolish not to have a deer location dog on standby.

My type of stalking would not be succesful with a constant deer tracking companion either as I have tried it and is not for me. (Those are my personal views and I accept others may differ)

In my opinion it will become compulsary to have access to a deer dog and quite right to .

Shortly it will be added to the many certificates that Deerstalkers need before being allowed to stalk .

Just my opinion mind

Edited by Caprelous

Yes I think it will become compulsory, and I think the forestry commission will be the main pushers of it,I don't agree it should be compulsory mind, and that's my opinion, what bothers me is technically forestry commission land is technically public land, which stalkers have pay a lot of money to get access to, unlike the other people who's access is free, and it is utilized by many different people, ie walkers, bike riders, horse riders,and all sorts of hobbies are undertaken on forestry commission land, yet they need no certificates to carry out there pastimes, if you were to look at the accident rates for each sport undertaken on forestry land, deerstalking I bet would have the lowest, if we have to have all this before we deer stalk, then all other shooting sports need certificates relevant to there sport too,and if the reasons are for animal welfare, our standards are probably one of the highest in Europe anyway, minimum calibers ensure the right rifle velocities,and most of the stalkers who stalk commercially are highly experienced people,who ensure the client is well capable of making the right shot,

We will get to a point where deer stalking for the average guy will be out of reach financially,as once it does become compulsory, they will start charging to use there dogs,the last thing we want do is have the sport ruled by elitists, or viewed as elitist,for my money it should remain good practice to have access to the services of a dog but not compulsory,

Ohh make no mistake the bds will be at the forefront of a move to compulsory access to a trained dog the simple reason being they will know they can make money from certifying the dogs/handlers as competent

• Like 6

Perhaps we should all be busying ourselves training dogs then, I will need a deer dog, rabbit dog, fox dog, squirrel dog, occasional rat dog, not to mention a gun dog, wow, going to be busy busy busy, or is it only a deer dog I need because they are far more important than any other mammals?

• Like 1

Perhaps we should all be busying ourselves training dogs then, I will need a deer dog, rabbit dog, fox dog, squirrel dog, occasional rat dog, not to mention a gun dog, wow, going to be busy busy busy, or is it only a deer dog I need because they are far more important than any other mammals?

Don't forget a decent ferret. Every time I prick a rabbit I run home for my ferret. Completely unethical to dare shoot rabbits without access to a decent ferret. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often....

• Like 2

You all take my comment in jest but I am deadly serious theres already moves afoot to make it compulsory :victory: or am i scare mongering :tongue2: something i have been accused of in the past :D

yes we know and it should be stopped or challenged, it's crap,

I don't know about the forestry commission, I don't care.

I never stalk without a dog, i shoot my fair share of deer and unfortunately i have the occasional f**k up. Some i wouldn't have been able to un f**k without a dog.

My point was this. At present if you don't have access to a proper, well trained deer dog there are people who will track wounded deer fo free, you just have to call them.

I don't understand what is so hard about that.

If you don't have access to a proper deer dog or you are too pig headed to phone someone who has in the event of something going wrong then in my opinion you are irresponsible.

Born hunter, i assume from your avatar that you have a running dog for rabbiting? You wouldn't try and course rabbits in the lamp with a staffy would you? No. So why is the suggestion that having a decent, properly trained deer dog for deer work so alien?

I don't know about the forestry commission, I don't care.

I never stalk without a dog, i shoot my fair share of deer and unfortunately i have the occasional f**k up. Some i wouldn't have been able to un f**k without a dog.

My point was this. At present if you don't have access to a proper, well trained deer dog there are people who will track wounded deer fo free, you just have to call them.

I don't understand what is so hard about that.

If you don't have access to a proper deer dog or you are too pig headed to phone someone who has in the event of something going wrong then in my opinion you are irresponsible.

Born hunter, i assume from your avatar that you have a running dog for rabbiting? You wouldn't try and course rabbits in the lamp with a staffy would you? No. So why is the suggestion that having a decent, properly trained deer dog for deer work so alien?

Its not, I shoot my share of deer too , and have stalked since 1986 , my point was it shouldn't be compulsory, as I have and pointed out the cost will be added once it is, my other point was your comment on proper, and stu mentioning certificated, well who decides the standard, and no it's not rocket sience, and the running dog, is one of my dogs , I have a blood dog asI have said before, I have a lab, for my wildfowling/ pheasant shooting, I have been around dogs all my life, but it's funny how you comment on my running dog, if that has caused a pre conception of me , then I am sorry,you couldn't see past it, I am no fool in the hunting field, and I am a believer in sport for everyone, not just a few, and have spent a lot of my time teaching and helping people into stalking and shooting, I neither look down or up at people, I am an Englishman and proud of or hunting shooting stalking, heritage, and don't want things making compulsery, written into contracts to hike the price, beyond the average mans reach,or forced to adopt a European standard, as said before it's good practice to have one or access to one,but compulsery I do not agree with it is my opinion, and I have said my last on it,
  • Like 2

I have nothing against running dogs, and actually that comment was aimed at born hunter who had previously joked about needing a different dog for every sport. The reason I mentioned running dogs is because his avatar has a picture of one. It was an example of my point, that's all, no prejudice involved.

Actually I don necessarily agree with the European style of dog tracking but that is by the by. My point is that if you wound a deer there are people you can call.

This service is in use on the continent, government sanctioned and free of charge.

I see no reason why it would be made compulsory here, and like you I would not like to see it made compulsory but now we are talking politics. It is definitely best practice and that is what I am saying.

We won't ever agree but in my opinion if you stalk deer without access to a dog you are irresponsible.

Another example, if I met you in the pub and said that I went wildfowling the other day and I shot two geese but they landed in a reed bed and it was dark so I didn't bother to look for them you would think that was irresponsible surely. If you had been there you'd have sent your lab right?

So why is the suggestion of deer dogs so alien.

Edited by Hydropotesinermis
  • Like 1