Bull Russells

I always found them to be to hard and sometimes very stupid at there work no nose can't find after game moves away on them good one are few and far between the next-generation down is a different matter tho

• Like 3

I've often seen the opposite Wedgey. But then again it depends on the parents.

But back in the days before the Fell types became popular in Ireland the bull russell type was the equivalent.

The beauty of a cross bred terrier is that they can't become extinct. As long as there's working type russells and working type bull terriers then the bull / russell is there for anyone who wants to try it and IMO I would never put anyone off having one.

When they're good they're very good.

• Like 4

When i started at terriers 1st that was the most common terrier about,bullxrussell,and seen some very good workers aswell of every%.Some tend to be hard and some are also stupid hard but you will get that in any terrier breed.The only fault i seen with a lot of the 1stx,s was they came too big for fox work and were only good for diging the 1 animal back then,pre-ban.When i started at the terriers in the mid 70s there were a lot of bullx about but all in the same areaas ways of travel were scarce then,very little money and few cars among us so the dogs were all bred into each other around the local area and they produced some very good diging dogs as this was also pre-locater days so a terrier spent a lot of time in the ground before being dug to.Then in the early 80s the black dogs started to appear and slowly but surely they took over in most areas.There is still pockets around the country that carried on with there tried and tested little bullx's but nothing compared to back then.I have at the the present a bullxpatt,1st,x that is almost 7 year old and at this stage has nothing to prove as an earth dog.His dam was a small little staff bitch that we often dug to when stuck and his sire was a very good steady worker,staff was 6 year old and patt was 8 year old when we bred them so we knew what both were capable off.There was a very well known man who used to come down here diging in the 90s that swore by the bullx but he prefered EB to staff,reckoned they were better earth dogs,they had there own diging club in NI and kept some tidy workers.The problem with bullx's now is it is hard to find a suitable bull or russell as we are restricted in the work we can put in front of them.I know of lads that could have an average russell bitch and they will put any staff,EB or PB over them just because it is bull bred but it dont work like that,just more shit been bred.

• Like 6

I had one, he was excellent rock dog but shit in earths he couldn't find in them at all unless he bumped in to it. I kept him all his career and he did a lot of good for me. he knew his job when he got to it and could end a few problems in big rocky spots. I suppose he was good at the job he was good at but not an all rounder.

Nice dogs russ. Hope they graft as well as they look

wouldnt be in my yard if they didnt, i can assure ya i dont keep show ponys there all young the 1/4 bitch has 11 dug this year and 13 dug total she,s 3 in november and the 1/2 bitch has 2 dug very slow to go but getting there she 2 in june the broken coated dog is only 12 mts and the tri colour pup is only 6 mts theres alot of very old russell breeding back in all these dogs for years what a dog looks like doesn,t bodder me buddy

heres a few of mine 1st is 1/8th bull 2nd and 3rd is 1/4 and 4th is first cross most terriers down my way have ebt in them somewhere along the lines

Crackers :thumbs: 3rd down is my type of dog.

• Like 1