.22Lr On An 8 Acre Stable, A A New Fac Holder

Hi all, I have been approved for a .22lr on an 8 acre stable. I am sure, as a new FAC holder I will be restricted to this land. I will be holidaying on a working/shooting farm (Luckyard Farm) The farm is 300 acres and the owner has already said I can shoot my .22lr, shotgun and PCP air rifle (as it a shooting holiday farm it checked to a larger calibre than this) as long as my FAC is an “open” certificate. Will my FLO allow an “open” FAC to a new FAC holder?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never say never, lots of people get an Open/Unrestricted FAC at first grant, but admittedly the majority don't seem to.   Mentoring has been done away with in just the same way every region have bee

It would be the same abarrett....we were in the same truck lol

I don't think many would disagree at all, but the real world just isn't that simple sometimes!

Can't see an open ticket being granted to you for at least 12 to 18 months from grant. It may well be longer. It varies from force to force and also depends upon you as an individual.

As Nasher1 says though, you don't need an open ticket if your new land has already been cleared for the calibre that you intend to shoot there. I would explain this to the landowner.

ATB

Thanks, so if I have an invite to shoot on a farm who`s land has been FAC .22lr checked, I can shoot? My FLO seamed to think if I was on a paid shoot or paid holiday shoot I was ok, but no mention as to your suggestion. The whole experience thing gets me, I began shooting with my uncle (British Army 27 years) at 8 years old (well over 40 years ago) we shot regular with air rifles for 5 years or so, learning my "craft", backdrop ect.. I have been shooting regularly ever since, but this doesn't seam to count as experience?

Can't see an open ticket being granted to you for at least 12 to 18 months from grant. It may well be longer. It varies from force to force and also depends upon you as an individual.

As Nasher1 says though, you don't need an open ticket if your new land has already been cleared for the calibre that you intend to shoot there. I would explain this to the landowner.

ATB

+1 I had my .22 lr, hmr and .22-250 all open within 6 months but it is not at all the norm. I have practically 1000's of acres locally and as a part time self employed pest controller a open ticket is a must.

But as the lads have said if it's cleared for rimfire or above then your good to go matey

Edited by shropshire dan

Whilst on the subject of new FAC, I have kept a full and detailed account of my application process, times, dates ect... I will print this when my FAC finally turns up! I did ask one question of my FLO, can fox be shot with a .22lr? (Kent Police) Not really as people push the boundary, if we say 50yds people will try 60yds (and so on). What about .223, yes that fine! 300yds? My question is, if people push the distance with a .22lr, wont people also push the distance with .223 as well? Its as if we cant be trusted to shoot fox with .22lr at sub 50yd distances? As the BASC say “It’s the calibre of the man, not the calibre of the bullet which should be taken into consideration”

As you say, it's the person, not the calibre. Your analogy would work with any calibre. People who push the boundaries with live animals are irresponsible. Why risk wounding something when you can just get a bit closer and do the job properly? Or wait for another day. :thumbs:

I got my .22lr passed on a 6 acre field in an open ticket. I have and told them I had 000s of acres permission but asked them for an open ticket as I didn't want them going and pestering different landowners. They were happy with this. The 6 acre field is probably the most risky of the bits of land I shoot on and I told them this.

Ask, worse they will say is no

Whilst on the subject of new FAC, I have kept a full and detailed account of my application process, times, dates ect... I will print this when my FAC finally turns up! I did ask one question of my FLO, can fox be shot with a .22lr? (Kent Police) Not really as people push the boundary, if we say 50yds people will try 60yds (and so on). What about .223, yes that fine! 300yds? My question is, if people push the distance with a .22lr, wont people also push the distance with .223 as well? Its as if we cant be trusted to shoot fox with .22lr at sub 50yd distances? As the BASC say “It’s the calibre of the man, not the calibre of the bullet which should be taken into consideration”

sounds like you got the same flo as me

Think my first cert was open they wait till your renewal with bigger calibers they brought in mentoring to get round that

it wouldn't have been open from the start and mentoring has been done away with

Mine was. It also depends on different forces as to what they decide. Mine was north yorkshire

Mine was but before I put in for my own fire arms cert , I was a ranger in the commission and was shooting with a 270 which at that time I could use with the managers cert