Half Cross To Half Cross Advice Wanted.

Hello all.I don t post on here often but wanted some genuine advice.I have a half cross bull greyhound from good lines .He s getting on now at around 10 yr old but still working.I also put a good half cross bitch out with a good friend and she is a bit older than the dog.I ve noticed the old boy slowing down now and need a pup in.i ve owned and worked dog and bitch and they are spot on apart from the bitch always lacked that extra bit of pace when needed.the bitch stands 23 and the dog 24.Would the second generation throw any rangier and houndy?Was considering a three quarter bred on the bitch for a 5/8 x 3/8 as my first bull x was bred this way and suited me better.But to be honest I ve not seen a three quarter bred that i d consider using.I d like to put the half cross to the bitch but have not done the mating before and would not want em to heavy . the dog throws good game stuff so does the bitch . Any one here bred first cross to first cross

• Like 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No such a thing has litter wastage, there be a job for the heavy types same has the racier types keep a few back around the sixteen week time gives Ya more of an idea how they'll developatb bunnys

I often wonder if the second gen are better because if it's done right the best dogs are used and they follow that mould

Not a guessing game but selection, selection is what nature does naturally and we have to learn to do by eye. Its what lies behind all good live stock breeding..

Posted Images

I breed a litter last year half cross to half cross so makes them 2nd gen and keep 2 dog pups back at 8 weeks old you could not tell them apart from one was dark brindle and one light brindle and now at 5 month two different dogs one very heavy and one racy and rest of the litter witch all went to close friends have all gone different from heavy to racy so what ive seen with 2nd gen is its a guessing game

• Like 1

I prefer generation bred first crosses and IMO can be racier than a genuine first cross.

Not sure about breeding off a bitch that age though, I personally would not. Atb.

I often wonder if the second gen are better because if it's done right the best dogs are used and they follow that mould

• Like 3

That's a nice pup stud dog. He s very similar to both the dog and bitch in build. I wanted the pups racier than the parents. I know I could breed racier using a different dog or bitch but I know both these dogs inside out and both are steady honest grafters . I ve used some well known dogs over the bitch to throw racier pups but they don't suit me. Bit to much keen ness and less brain

• 2 weeks later...

I breed a litter last year half cross to half cross so makes them 2nd gen and keep 2 dog pups back at 8 weeks old you could not tell them apart from one was dark brindle and one light brindle and now at 5 month two different dogs one very heavy and one racy and rest of the litter witch all went to close friends have all gone different from heavy to racy so what ive seen with 2nd gen is its a guessing game

That's cuz that's the truth.

Do the breeding mate.You wont regret it. Its all about selection though.Dont be in a hurry to get shut of the litter. Try to keep them to at least three months,to see what builds are like because pups can change a lot.

• Like 1

Not a guessing game but selection, selection is what nature does naturally and we have to learn to do by eye. Its what lies behind all good live stock breeding..

• Like 2

Very true. One thing to always keep in mind though is that species evolve naturally at a very slow pace. We as breeders of dogs can make it or break in one breeding. The good thing though is that we can also "fix" it in a rather short period of time if we at least try to.

A half cross to a half cross breeding has the potential to throw everything from a full greyhound to a full bulldog as well as everything in between.

Surprising the amount of people who think breeding two 50/50 dogs together produce the same.

• Like 2

Conformation doesn't mean a thing if the dog hasn't got it upstairs!! So even picking one on it's physical appearance IS a guessing game!! Some of the best dogs you'll ever see work in any venue are the ugliest....