Anyone Hatching This Year

I've tried hatching seramas the first 6 only one started to hatch then died , then got another 8 should hatch today or there about but don't think it's gonna happen, they are b*****ds to hatch and bring on , apparently they can have a thing called the creeper gene where seramas have been mixed with Japanese bantams and the two don't mix , so trying to find pure serama breeders is difficult . But will keep looking and trying .

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A nice Spanish blue hen gifted to me off general lee went broody and I hatched of some aseel, oeg duckwings and Spanish blues in the incubator then transferred them under her! There 2 weeks old today!

Coming along nice

New additions         Chuffed

Posted Images

I've tried hatching seramas the first 6 only one started to hatch then died , then got another 8 should hatch today or there about but don't think it's gonna happen, they are b*****ds to hatch and bring on , apparently they can have a thing called the creeper gene where seramas have been mixed with Japanese bantams and the two don't mix , so trying to find pure serama breeders is difficult . But will keep looking and trying .

I done serama last year and the year before. I know what you mean by the suicide gene. I always got one or two die after pipping. I dont think you can get "pure" as the Jap banty is in its heritage. The Serama is a fairly new breed(its only been shown in the last 10 or so years) and the Jap is part of its make up. Also, they dont breed true.

Trouble with heavy reading, reading, reading is, I cant remember what I read about rectifying it. Im sure it was dont turn the turner off till the day they are due and if in doubt give them an extra day.post-45598-0-73573300-1429686345_thumb.jpg

Some of my young chicks from last year. I wasnt gonna bother hatching this year, but our only hen, a dutch/jap banty needs a friend( She`s just started crowing!) so Ive just ordered 6 pyle oeg bantam eggs. I might get one out if I`m lucky as the eggs are off ebay...

I done serama last year and the year before. I know what you mean by the suicide gene. I always got one or two die after pipping. I dont think you can get "pure" as the Jap banty is in its heritage. The Serama is a fairly new breed(its only been shown in the last 10 or so years) and the Jap is part of its make up. Also, they dont breed true.

Trouble with heavy reading, reading, reading is, I cant remember what I read about rectifying it. Im sure it was dont turn the turner off till the day they are due and if in doubt give them an extra day.attachicon.gifDSCF0114thl.jpg

Some of my young chicks from last year. I wasnt gonna bother hatching this year, but our only hen, a dutch/jap banty needs a friend( She`s just started crowing!) so Ive just ordered 6 pyle oeg bantam eggs. I might get one out if I`m lucky as the eggs are off ebay...

I thought it was a pure breed and was only mixed when they came over here . I will keep trying with the little suckers cause I think they make great little birds

Trouble with heavy reading, reading, reading is, I cant remember what I read about rectifying it. Im sure it was dont turn the turner off till the day they are due and if in doubt give them an extra day.attachicon.gifDSCF0114thl.jpg

eBay eggs now that I have been wondering about. Seen loads of hatching eggs on there and the fella I got my ducks off across the lough sells ALL his eggs, chicken, duck on eBay.

Asked him does he get good feedback on hatch rates with the postal system etc he said he is yet to have one complaint.

I've recently spotted rhea eggs on eBay but am heart fraid of getting them shipped.

eBay eggs now that I have been wondering about. Seen loads of hatching eggs on there and the fella I got my ducks off across the lough sells ALL his eggs, chicken, duck on eBay.

Asked him does he get good feedback on hatch rates with the postal system etc he said he is yet to have one complaint.

I've recently spotted rhea eggs on eBay but am heart fraid of getting them shipped.

These have been off eBay , what's the name of the seller and I will have a look , my last load came from up Scotland somewhere .

Net on there to get it tallyho here he is, not many listed at the minute but he has some different breeds of hatching eggs, although only one breed of duck which is magpie

Here's one listing with his name http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/eovp2012?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Edited by MoChara

Devon,

Looks like a lemon blue to me, but without having it in the hand, can't be 100% positive.

Bob, Mo and Talyho, it's always a gamble hatching any eggs. If you get eggs through the post, let them settle for 24yrs before setting. But I'm sure you already know that.

Just keep trying, it will pay off eventually, every setting is a learning curve.

Best of luck.

Atb

Devon,

Looks like a lemon blue to me, but without having it in the hand, can't be 100% positive.

Bob, Mo and Talyho, it's always a gamble hatching any eggs. If you get eggs through the post, let them settle for 24yrs before setting. But I'm sure you already know that.

Just keep trying, it will pay off eventually, every setting is a learning curve.

Best of luck.

Atb

Yeah Im determined to get as many of this next set out as possible. Ive just been reading about detached air cell`s and that standing the eggs on the pointy end for the 24hr settling period helps the air cell to correct itself. Then set it like that in the inc for the first 24 hours without turning and you should have a better hatch rate. My OEG banty eggs should be here today or tomorrow. Cant wait, the inc is warming up as I type.

Got my red pyle oeg banty eggs yesterday and after letting them settle for 24hrs Im now letting them have further 24 hours stood on point in the inc with a little bit manual gentle rocking , see if any of the suspect air cells right themselves, thus improving hatch rate :laugh: . Fingers crossed.post-45598-0-50128600-1429878433_thumb.jpg