Best X Dog You Have Ever Owned

This one a lurcher x lurcher diamond of a dog but came to sticky end early in life. I blinded poor bugger with the flash here

15003978291_a32158705e_c.jpg

and me little beddy whippet but not only both great workers but easy to live with and never any problems which tops up the package

6993247668_2fa9c61969_c.jpg

and my future one if he comes close to the two above I will be well happy

14359532174_412e2fb833_c.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two of my oldies..son & sire both dogs caught a lot lol..  

Here ya go    

Not sure how she was bred as she was a rescue but a good bitch. Reckon she was about 13 months when I got her. She had guts but was a nice dog to have around the house too. Good prey drive, brains and

Posted Images

What's in the pups breeding terry.?

bull, wheaton, bearded collie and grey hound so bit of a mix. Very bright dog and quite sensitive with loads of drive yet his not an all out killer type which suites me fine. looking forward to his first proper season this year :) His just turned a year last week

16697473290_0562db4386_c.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3

Not sure how she was bred as she was a rescue but a good bitch. Reckon she was about 13 months when I got her. She had guts but was a nice dog to have around the house too. Good prey drive, brains and taught me a thing or 2. Natural hunter and was a good dog to have growing up. Pic taken in 1991.

post-52908-0-87887400-1427324405_thumb.jpg

Edited by white van man
  • Like 11

Mine was a young dog when i lost her so folks might ask,how can that be? but my acd x was years ahead of her age and was turning into a dog you only read about :yes: .She'd have died to protect me and she was putting a few things away that i've seen adult dogs fail at,brains that were almost human at times and i sure ain't ashamed to say i cried like a child when she was pts at just 11 months old and couldn't own another runner for a few years afterwards.But this bitch i have now is sure doing ok and she's done all i've asked of her this year so who knows it might turn out to be this one being the best but i do still miss my other one....

• Like 1

Mine was a young dog when i lost her so folks might ask,how can that be? but my acd x was years ahead of her age and was turning into a dog you only read about :yes: .She'd have died to protect me and she was putting a few things away that i've seen adult dogs fail at,brains that were almost human at times and i sure ain't ashamed to say i cried like a child when she was pts at just 11 months old and couldn't own another runner for a few years afterwards.But this bitch i have now is sure doing ok and she's done all i've asked of her this year so who knows it might turn out to be this one being the best but i do still miss my other one....

Mate that's a shame. Always happens to the good ones! My bitch above was stolen whilst I was at school. I was gutted. Someone had done their homework as she was in a kennel inside a locked barn. Good luck with your new dog

• Like 1

:hmm:This is a difficult,..if not , impossible question, to answer...

After being around working dogs for so many years,..it is difficult to pick out a particular animal that was vastly superior to the others. This is further complicated by the usage that certain individuals were put to...

I have been lucky, and owned some good rabbiting/ferreting/mouching curs...

I've also kept other types, for other things.... :thumbs:

But, all things being equal,..many years ago,...I did walk by night with a medium sized Whippet/Greyhound/Saluki bitch...

She was an extremely honest gal,...and tried her best for me, night after night, after night.....

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 10

Have to say Phil your answer surprised me. Not a farm dog in the breeding, LOL.

Great to see so many lads mention that their best dogs weren't world beaters but kept them happy. So important IMO.

My favourite was a first cross bull X greyhound. She was as slow as Christmas but gave 100% every time and had a natural intelligence that helped her work out problems as she met them.

Have to say though, when I was a teenager I got a 5 year old first cross collie X greyhound who thought me more about lamping than any other man or dog ever did.

• Like 2

Never owned a good dog but have heard of hundreds if not thousands via the forums..I'm so jealous

The threads about the best dog you've owned Mr Picky :tongue2: but to be honest your not doing some of your mutts justice by saying you ain't ever had a good un Andy :victory: ..

• Like 1

Never owned a good dog but have heard of hundreds if not thousands via the forums..I'm so jealous

The threads about the best dog you've owned Mr Picky :tongue2: but to be honest your not doing some of your mutts justice by saying you ain't ever had a good un Andy :victory: ..

Being honest mate I have had some fair dogs,all of them had flaws but I caught a lot of gear with them,each had strengths the others never possessed so I never quite managed the ultimate animal lol..I'm happy with what I currently kennel,they do me..I love my old cur x he will die trying on whatever it is,he's been a real gladiator,big numbers lamping,brilliant hunter in the day,ferrets great,hooved or toothed,up to our very largest he's done them all and in quantity...but my young Saluki x has really opened my eyes and not for what you would expect of a coursing bred dog,he's a real big layed back character in general but out hunting he's pretty lethal lol,I've had some brilliant days with him in fact days I'd never witnessed in 35 years of keeping lurchers so although I'm kind of done with the hunting I done many years ago and the dogs I have may or may not of achieved the kind of hauls my dogs of yesteryear mustered whilst lamping but I'd of been amazed if those dogs could do on a regular basis what these ones do? Both past and present companions I've enjoyed hunting with in the main..hopefully we will keep doing what we do..it's exciting albeit exhausting but enjoyable all the same..Atb folks ?

• Like 9

Being honest mate I have had some fair dogs,all of them had flaws but I caught a lot of gear with them,each had strengths the others never possessed so I never quite managed the ultimate animal lol..I'm happy with what I currently kennel,they do me..I love my old cur x he will die trying on whatever it is,he's been a real gladiator,big numbers lamping,brilliant hunter in the day,ferrets great,hooved or toothed,up to our very largest he's done them all and in quantity...but my young Saluki x has really opened my eyes and not for what you would expect of a coursing bred dog,he's a real big layed back character in general but out hunting he's pretty lethal lol,I've had some brilliant days with him in fact days I'd never witnessed in 35 years of keeping lurchers so although I'm kind of done with the hunting I done many years ago and the dogs I have may or may not of achieved the kind of hauls my dogs of yesteryear mustered whilst lamping but I'd of been amazed if those dogs could do on a regular basis what these ones do? Both past and present companions I've enjoyed hunting with in the main..hopefully we will keep doing what we do..it's exciting albeit exhausting but enjoyable all the same..Atb folks

Imagine if you'd have had a good saluki lurcher years ago.......... :blink::icon_eek: when you were young and keen and not as fat and unfit... :tongue2:

I dare say you'd have probably caught even more tackle!! :boogy: At least you've seen the light now, better late than never matey... :bye::tongue2:

• Like 2

Hey JD even you must admit for an owld un I'm not that unfit or fat lol but being honest I'd of loved to have tried a good Saluki type back in the 80's and 90's with my style of hunting but before tinternet and mobiles etc us lot up here were like hillbillies we never seen or heard of nothing other than the local stuff and Saluki types weren't popular around these parts..anyhow I have one now,I like the ugly mutt,he's not too bad and better late than never like you say ? ..still not having it though that I'd of caught more lol..my old Bulpa dog put a bit of gear to bed,would of took a fair hound to better his tally haha..f**k Saluki's,Minshaws all the way lol

• Like 3