As One Season Ends...

Another begins...

For the past god knows how long ive lived my life around the running dogs and field sports in the season im out hunting and out of the season im doing my best to keep the permisions ive gained over the years by helping out on the estates that I hunt on.

This is also ruled by a season after the shooting stops its catch up time with the traps/ vermin, swapping non medicated grit to medicated grit (wormers) after this it on with the heather burning which leads me to helping out with some much needed labour it keeps me in the fold and to be honest I enjoy it but I keep saying to the wife not going to be the same next season to be fair I dont use the land ive got half as much as I used too, to be honest the rabbiting is not really floating my boat and hasn't done for a few years now as like a moth to the flame im destin to get me fingers burnt as its the coursing that really turns me on at the moment.

But good permission is hard to get so ill do my best to hold on to it as theres always someone els ready to take your place and if nothing els it keeps the dogs fit and sharp, but to be honest they seems more and more folk hunting the same land these days (I blame the internet lol) but keeping my nose in the troth by helping gets me some good contacts and in past ive turned down the offer of new land but it looks like ill be on the look out for some big flat land now.

I dont often mention the helping out but a few people I know think its fine to go and try help there self to my land that ive taken them on in the thinking that I have more than enough but they think its handed on a plate this is a taste of what I do to keep it.

So at 6 am I leave home for my 8 start im met by the underkeepers quad hes already been out shooting vermin and checking traps.

We then meet up with the head keeper with the polaris with the sprayer and water tank on we use this to put out the fires and to keep them from spreading over the cuts or back burning, the sprayer is used and is effective but were the polaris carnt go the floggers are used this is a long pole with rubber matting on the end, they weigh a fair bit and it takes a fair bit longer too but this is how things was done before the tech.

The tank is filled on the moor from springs with a on board pump to suck up the water at one pond it was lifting with frogs and I got a pic of a brave one but trust me it was lifting.

The head keeper takes off and starts lighting fires me and the underkeeper keep them in line always with one eye out for vermin hence the keepers friend buy side at all times (benelli lol)

A long day was had at it plenty of ground burnt and a good giggle at dinner no major miss happs oh apart from the bolder coming through the bottom of the truck floor, but at times your in the fire putting them out so can and does get hairy at times also with the gallons of water on the rear she lists like a sailing dinghy.

We finished at 7 and a two hour drive home awaited driving home eyes stinging stinking of smoke then back at it tomoro weather permitting hope you enjoy the pics.

House%20q_zpsxmuujiav.jpg

Pol%20parked_zpspxsbfixa.jpg

1St%20light_zps6mouoj4e.jpg

Lighting%20up_zpsvramh1qu.jpg

Good%20fire_zps2v5ne2c7.jpg

Cl6%20spray_zps3whbsgoh.jpg

Smokey%202_zpsvoe2fjc2.jpg

Black_zpspwcsy53w.jpg

Fire%20out%20wnd_zpswptnivgf.jpg

In%20the%20fire_zpsgzu08hir.jpg

Me%20in%20pol_zpsljfg0vk6.jpg

Filling%20up_zpsiwt4h9g7.jpg

Spawn_zps8s4af8eo.jpg

Frog_zps06gnqi6q.jpg

Pond_zpsds0qczda.jpg

Landscape_zpsaoe1qjvp.jpg

Pol_zps0edc9sia.jpg

Flogin_zpspgsswndc.jpg

Me%20puttting%20out_zpsc8p2a4x8.jpg

Hill%20side%20f_zpsezwhtimf.jpg

• Like 16

Good post that mate,, nice read,,, beautiful part of the world...... gay bracelet your wearing mind... :icon_redface:

Lol thats the underkeeper :toast: Im way too manly for one of those but I did think it was a help for heroes one he is ex service so ill let him off and he carries a gun everywere :tongue2:

Between%202%20cuts_zpsoq4qkzsa.jpg