Fixed Magnification Scopes

Just a quick one ladies & gents. Currently in the market for a new scope and have anything from £200-400 budget. However, their is just so much choice out there with multiple magnifications and lenses. For air rifle use is a variable magnification scope really necessary??? I like the look of the Hawke Tactical range and see that they have a fixed 10x Mag scope. I find that most of my shooting is done at 30-35 yards so is variable magnification really necessary or simply a nice to have? Also fixed magnification would eliminate changes in the reticle and holdover would remain consistent resulting in quicker alignment and shot taking.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.......

Much better scopes out there for the cash that you are looking to spend mate. I don't know about a x10 power, but how about a x8? It will eat up the range that you are shooting at, and more. Plenty of quality second hand S&Bs around. ;) . Head and shoulders Hawke IMHO.

I use a variety at the moment of different scopes, and I must admit that I am quite impressed with the Vortex range. Take a look. Well within your budget.

ATB

Edited by Tremo
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Fixed mag scopes usually give better clarity due to less lenses being involved. A bigger issue for air gunners is parallax, as most scopes without parallax adjustment are fixed at 100 yards. I like 7xmag myself on an airgun, and this will be plenty to 35 yards and more. Vortex scopes have very good glass for the money, much better than Hawke.

John.

Just a quick one ladies & gents. Currently in the market for a new scope and have anything from £200-400 budget. However, their is just so much choice out there with multiple magnifications and lenses. For air rifle use is a variable magnification scope really necessary??? I like the look of the Hawke Tactical range and see that they have a fixed 10x Mag scope. I find that most of my shooting is done at 30-35 yards so is variable magnification really necessary or simply a nice to have? Also fixed magnification would eliminate changes in the reticle and holdover would remain consistent resulting in quicker alignment and shot taking.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.......

Its down to you, a fixed 10x on an air rifle for 30-35yards I find incredible, I use 6x on almost everything for shooting out to about 200 yards.

Hence why advise about scopes/magnification/reticle is virtually pointless, get what works for you! :thumbs:

A lot of fixed scopes work on producing a 7-8mm exit pupil. The maximum pupil diameter of humans is about 7-8mm, so anything larger is wasted light.

You can work out the exit pupil diameter of your scope by dividing the objective lens size by the mag, I.e. A 4x32 scope has an exit pupil dia. Of 8mm.

This means that in low light when your pupils are dilated to the max 7-8mm, a 4x32 will give you the max light without compromising on mag. So in theory something like a 10x42 scope won't be able to cope with low light because of the small exit pupil diameter (4.2mm)

As an additional note some scopes change zero at varying magnifications. Fixed don't get that issue.

It's also normally very easy to adjust parallax on scopes that aren't AO or SF.