Dog Won't Chase?

Phil's story is the reason I asked how long had you owned the dog before you tried it as I was going to tell you the exact same one ... A few weeks and the dog was a different beast ... Back to her old self and mopping up game with ease ... dogs are fickle creatures ... i can't move for my youngster normally she is stuck to me like my shadow ... I got back last night from a 2 week rabbit job and when me and the missus took the dogs for a walk today the pup acted like she didn't even know me ... A few days back and we will be back to our normal tight bond but it just shows they are not machines .........

• Like 6

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If dogs 18 months old its 6 month off two year old by my reckoning lol..I'd not be too fussed at that age,I don't start mine away until 14 month old,there's no rush..it will go alright if got out into

The trouble is that there are to many half bred half wits that want a ready made mutt without having to put the time in,they want to trial pups and pass a sapling by that will make a decent mutt a lit

Phil's story is the reason I asked how long had you owned the dog before you tried it as I was going to tell you the exact same one ... A few weeks and the dog was a different beast ... Back to her ol

It could also be a late comer, not all dogs will have that switch - switched on from birth, some take that bit longer for the switch to click

i got one of mine at 7 months old, she had been in a pet home that could not cope with her energy, she was 2 when she finely decided to chase something,

when i got another dog a couple of years later, her drive intensified more as she then had competition.

Thanks for all the replies anyway a bit of a update,

My mate has phoned the original owner who has only now told him he used a shock collar on the dog to stop it chasing sheep

we would like any opinions on whether this will stop it permanently chasing anything because that's what it looks like

Treat it like a pup. net a few rabbits and let it see you chin them in the net and while it sniffs them, when it sees you carry them around it will hopefully realise you want them. I took on a pet lurcher a few years back and she would just stand by me and watch my other bitch chase them. in the end i had to resort to walking through bracken beds till a rabbit jumped up and then i'd have to run after it shouting and hollering and luckily she quickly cottoned on! it was embarrassing to be honest, but it worked!

• Like 2

forget about running anything for a while i think you need to build that trust up and make everything a game that she enjoys and build on the confidence and trust she has in you and take everything slowly you have all summer theres no rush it will come

• Like 1

Couple of things -

Why not trial an 18 month old dog? Depends what has been said of it? I.e If it's seen anything at all. But i'd at least want to know it isn't a stock killer etc. We are not talking about trying to catch a bag full with it!

Secondly - Met a few dogs who just thought their new owner was a knob at first . . . . . . and wouldn't work for them. Knew of a terrier that would not go to ground for new owner at all. . . .. as soon as original owner showed up to be shown problem. . . . . . dog flew to ground!

In all honesty what could you get from a sapling trial?only the basics,any half bred mongrel will show basics at 18 months of age,few of them will show anything like their breeding until at least their second season,the best of mutts seldom come into their own until they have had at least 3 seasons under them.Ill agree that a youngster may show promise at 18 months,promise is often a veil many mutts hide assunder.

I suppose it depends what has been said of the dog.

It's a bit of a blind area for me as I have never bought an adult running dog.

If i'd been told that it was just starting to lamp etc. Well, i'd probably just be keen to see it's general manners in the day, recall etc and it's temperament. And would like to see it around stock, and wouldn't mind seeing it have a go on the lamp, just a couple of slips, just to get a feel for the dog.

Although i'm quite possibly wrong?

Agree if i was to buy older i would want to see dog in variety of situations. Just to test owners word. Like ideation said even if that means livestock walk with fences to see if jump and good with livestock and to see the overall behaviour of dog in field. On and off field and recall. Obviously this is no tellimg fact to what you getting later down it working dog life but shows a base to what you are buying. Weather you want to call it a trial or what its what i would want to see if owner cant do this i wouldnt even entertain buying dog.

To op bond bond bond then next season start it off as you would a first season dog. Basics first and build.

I'm sure not all dogs start at the same age for instance I'm mates with a lad who has the brother to my dog and mine is jumping, retrieving, took to the lamp well and is handy to have around when ferreting and is stock broken yet his litter mate is not doing anything and isn't overly keen on much and won't jump and there 2 years old.

To be fair mine has seen a lot more quarry than his brother. So is it just because I've brought him up different to my mates? The brother to mine is more what I would call a energetic sort than mine who is fairly docile most of the time.

I think your dog will come right in time just don't right it off before it's even had a chance to get going.

I'm sure not all dogs start at the same age for instance I'm mates with a lad who has the brother to my dog and mine is jumping, retrieving, took to the lamp well and is handy to have around when ferreting and is stock broken yet his litter mate is not doing anything and isn't overly keen on much and won't jump and there 2 years old.

To be fair mine has seen a lot more quarry than his brother. So is it just because I've brought him up different to my mates? The brother to mine is more what I would call a energetic sort than mine who is fairly docile most of the time.

I think your dog will come right in time just don't right it off before it's even had a chance to get going.

Think that's the point Blackdog, your has seen enough work and exercise etc so its coming along nicely. The brother hasn't and isn't keen probably because he hasn't been out enough. One dog is energetic ( hasn't seen enough work) the other is chilled (gets out and works) dont think working dogs being chilled out is any concidence it is the graft that settles them. All well and good holding a dog back and not ruining it, but I personally think they need to out young at least mooching about, getting used to scent, learning to avoid obstacles etc. Got a lot of making it and learning to do if not out early as a pup, its like kids in my eyes a lot harder to teach and adult to a kid (like a sponge as pups) atb

• Like 3