Swim Tank And Sledge

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I'd get a load of abuse for my last post and it's good to see the response was open minded. Personally I don't like to see terriers put in the same category as some other breeds where gamen

Terriers never had it so good. Yesterday it was mills, today it's water tanks and sleds. What's next the ultimate keep for working terriers ? JMHO but terriers are a hunting breed that need a const

Just coz people use a mill dosent mean there on a keep you'd kill poor little fuckers . the sledge and swim tank was for my mate who dose weight pulling . i use all me dogs on mill even me lab just fo

Posted Images

Some work and engineering gone into that thank,great job. You can really focus on the dogs performance and work out. Great job.

Fine looking sled. Like the design of it.

going to try and make one similar to it.

arb j

Yeah lth ive got one made but a 2 inch fat bar ha ha .

my mates a top fabricationer and hes also into the dogs . ive always been around dogs/animals all me life. So i put a few ideas to him and he put them together . the mills took some doing theyve been well researched to make them the best possible . the amount of bearings parts etc we went throught to make them spin like f**k but be quiet at the same time did our heads in . but the results was well worth it . ill put some more detailed pics up of them . ive even put bushes under the belt to help with the dogs joints etc .

Terriers never had it so good.

Yesterday it was mills, today it's water tanks and sleds.

What's next the ultimate keep for working terriers ?

JMHO but terriers are a hunting breed that need a constant fitness level but not being brought to a point.

Some lads seem to compare them to other disciplines in the working dog world. Not healthy IMO.

JMHO or maybe I'm just being argumentative again, LOL.

• Like 4

Just coz people use a mill dosent mean there on a keep you'd kill poor little fuckers . the sledge and swim tank was for my mate who dose weight pulling . i use all me dogs on mill even me lab just for that intense part.

just for example my lab crashed into some ice this season on a pond after some duck that was shot at the same time another lads springer did to. My bitch smashed through it and made an easy job of

it even though i was shitting me sen the springer which is a good size one made it there but was to f****d to get back . so we both ended up very wet and f***ing cold . and i think this is coz of the mill work she wasnt even blowing .

as has been said before people take there terriers for a walk and work them .

some people still use a grey deben terrier box instead of a bellman .

Its what ever people are happy with .

i like to treat me dogs like i'd want to be treated . they get a warm bed good food good fitness best vet if i cant fix it and the best toold to dig and find them . its always worked for me that way so ill stick to it .

• Like 4

Terriers never had it so good.

Yesterday it was mills, today it's water tanks and sleds.

What's next the ultimate keep for working terriers ?

JMHO but terriers are a hunting breed that need a constant fitness level but not being brought to a point.

Some lads seem to compare them to other disciplines in the working dog world. Not healthy IMO.

JMHO or maybe I'm just being argumentative again, LOL.

that's a fair point Neil. I don't see anything wrong in using different methods and equipment if they are available to bring working dogs up to a high standard of fitness and endurance.

atb j.

Just coz people use a mill dosent mean there on a keep you'd kill poor little fuckers . the sledge and swim tank was for my mate who dose weight pulling . i use all me dogs on mill even me lab just for that intense part.

just for example my lab crashed into some ice this season on a pond after some duck that was shot at the same time another lads springer did to. My bitch smashed through it and made an easy job of

it even though i was shitting me sen the springer which is a good size one made it there but was to f****d to get back . so we both ended up very wet and f***ing cold . and i think this is coz of the mill work she wasnt even blowing .

as has been said before people take there terriers for a walk and work them .

some people still use a grey deben terrier box instead of a bellman .

Its what ever people are happy with .

i like to treat me dogs like i'd want to be treated . they get a warm bed good food good fitness best vet if i cant fix it and the best toold to dig and find them . its always worked for me that way so ill stick to it .

No offence but there is a hell of a difference in a lab and a springer in an iced over pond,strenght wise and swimming wise even if it was not iced up.I have seen 1st hand both labs and springers work in biggish lakes where the under water current is strong and i have often seen the springers struggle while the labs make easy work of it.The mill at times i would imagine would be fine and a good supstitute to walking or general mooching about,especially in wet weather where you cant get the dogs out but the tank imo is taking it a bit far.They are your dogs and your set up,everyman to his own but i prefer to be out and about with the dogs,ps,the mill looks extremely well engenered,fair play.

I know what you saying fatman but this springer isnt one of these week things and can swim as good as any lab including mine .

to be fair i dont use the swim tank i prefere getting out and dont think you can beat swiming againt the tide .the tanks is me mates who cant have dogs in public . thats where all these things have there uses .

cheers for comment on mill

I thought I'd get a load of abuse for my last post and it's good to see the response was open minded.

Personally I don't like to see terriers put in the same category as some other breeds where gameness is the No.1 priority.

Regarding fitness in the working terrier ?

IMO not only does the working terrier have to be very fit but so does the terrierman. In some cases, depending on the terriers style of working, the poor ol' terrierman might have it harder than the little worker down below.

Also IMO a terrier needs his mind to be kept occupied and mills etc. don't do that.

Nowadays with all your mills, swimming pools, walkers and hired help owner of greyhound, bulldogs etc. can have really fit dogs and do well with them but not be fit themselves. IMO that wont work in the working terrier world.

So in short, to me to keep terriers and their owners fit and right of mind for hard terrier work they have to be walked regularly with plenty of sights and smells to keep them right.

• Like 5

I thought I'd get a load of abuse for my last post and it's good to see the response was open minded.

Personally I don't like to see terriers put in the same category as some other breeds where gameness is the No.1 priority.

IMO not only does the working terrier have to be very fit but so does the terrierman. In some cases, depending on the terriers style of working, the poor ol' terrierman might have it harder than the little worker down below.

Also IMO a terrier needs his mind to be kept occupied and mills etc. don't do that.

Nowadays with all your mills, swimming pools, walkers and hired help owner of greyhound, bulldogs etc. can have really fit dogs and do well with them but not be fit themselves. IMO that wont work in the working terrier world.

So in short, to me to keep terriers and their owners fit and right of mind for hard terrier work they have to be walked regularly with plenty of sights and smells to keep them right.

I agree with all you said there neil. But it is handy to have a few extra bits of equipment to help bring your dog up to top level of fitness for what your chosen sport is.definitely you cannot beat taking the dogs out and about to stimulate their mind as Well as their body.

as you said the terrier man needs to be reasonably fit as well. no point the dog running flat out on the mill and him sitting there smoking 20 cigarettes drinking beer lol.

atb j.

I agree with all you said there neil. But it is handy to have a few extra bits of equipment to help bring your dog up to top level of fitness for what your chosen sport is.definitely you cannot beat taking the dogs out and about to stimulate their mind as Well as their body.

as you said the terrier man needs to be reasonably fit as well. no point the dog running flat out on the mill and him sitting there smoking 20 cigarettes drinking beer lol.

atb j.