What's "full frame" & "crop sensor"? Go easy here on me guys please? I have heard of it when reading reviews on cameras but ain't the foggiest what it all means? In layman's terms what's the craic here?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few from this week with the 300mm f4, quite a distance away though..          

Ha ha .......I dare not let you see the pics of our last day out. You'd get too excited! I've not got them here anyway..... don't keep any photos at my house...   Here's one I took earlier........

great shots ...there not easy as the camera trys to focus on the grass in front of the hare heres a nice sharp bean plant with a hare behind it

Posted Images

I take all my hare shots and action dog shots with 7D's. I could go full frame with the 5D mk2 or 3, BUT, and it's a bit BUT, I'd lose 40% focal length and that is a hell of a big downfall. I had this conversation with someone a few years back. They said that it wouldn't matter as the pic can be cropped and the pixels would take it. So we both went out, took our cameras and took shots of exactly the same runs the dogs had. I think I might have been using a 40D or 50D at that time, but anyway, I got the greater % of shots and the other photographer only had usable pics when the action was very close.

I guess it's down to finding out what works for you. I know that the 7D is good for me, I don't even realise I'm shooting some times, it all comes naturally. I would happily walk out with my 7D with anyone with a full framer and expect not to be shown up. I have probably the largest collection of lurcherwork images in existence, and not one has been taken with a full framer.... but we all have our own ideas.... :thumbs::victory:

• Like 1

Full frame has the same dimesions as 35mm camera format.

these might help, so you can see how the d700 and d300 do not have the same sensor

post-97768-0-64440700-1428056769.jpg

post-97768-0-60114200-1428056785.jpg

The only other thing that I miss with the dx sensor is that extra reach, which is especially useful with wildlife. My 300mm lens on the d700 stays at 300mm, but as most people will already know, on the d300 it becomes a 420mm

Its all a matter of whats best for you as the photographer, I much prefer the full frame now, but hey ho thats my preference....

Its not a case of buying the lastest camera and getting the best results..

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1

I use a d300 and am really pleased with it but the next camera I get wil be a d700.i,ve hard a lot of good things about low light which is what I need

The d300 is a really good camera, and a lot of pros using d3 used it as their second camera, some used it as their first....

Had I not squashed mine I would probably still have it now, as my second camera..

I have friends with d7000 and d7100 and these seem to manage low light well, and are sensiblypriced..might also be worth a look at, as the d700 is now obsolete

• Like 1

This thread was originally about lenses, has any nikon users had the Nikon 80-400mm?

This was my main lens a few years back, cracking quality, but a tad slow focussing, but did get some good images on my Fuji s2 pro, d200, d300 and d700

Same sensor ????

The d700 is full frame the d300 is crop señor

Yes they have the same megapixels but not the same sensor, the d700 has the same sensor as the d3

The physical size of the pixels are larger on the d700 hence it's low light capabilities

I shoot at times In low light with iso settings of 6400 sometimes more, I could never do that with the d300

The d300 is a good camera, if you have the light

Back to your question..At iso 400 there is little difference in image quality

Above that the d700 leaves the d300 and most other cameras for dead

Hope this helps

a bit on my site that might be helpful;

http://billdoherty.co.uk/section688181_257734.html

Lol,yes megapixel size was what I tried to say .. tried!

Over iso 400 and the gap opens,that is interesting.I take it that you mean perfect light also?

Very interesting.

I use a d300 and am really pleased with it but the next camera I get wil be a d700.i,ve hard a lot of good things about low light which is what I need

The d300 is a really good camera, and a lot of pros using d3 used it as their second camera, some used it as their first....

Had I not squashed mine I would probably still have it now, as my second camera..

I have friends with d7000 and d7100 and these seem to manage low light well, and are sensiblypriced..might also be worth a look at, as the d700 is now obsolete

I suppose the replacement for a D700 user would be a D750 or not as the case maybe? Edited by Marmite

Cheers for explaining that "sensor" craic Bill,I'm kind of getting the drift that with a "crop sensor" camera you get "more" distance with your lens is that correct? I'm fecking thick I am ?

• Like 1

Sort of corrrrrrrrrectttttttttt

300mm = 420mm

There's a lot to learn matie

I still find settings on my camera that I didn't know ex sisters

Ha ha

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1

Think I should just revert back to one of those little compact cameras Bill,I'm never gonna learn how to use the darn things..usually I'm not too bad with gadgets but these things you need to be a bloody scientist..what's the point of them calling it 300mm if its 420mm haha..talk about confusing a fella ??

Think I should just revert back to one of those little compact cameras Bill,I'm never gonna learn how to use the darn things..usually I'm not too bad with gadgets but these things you need to be a bloody scientist..what's the point of them calling it 300mm if its 420mm haha..talk about confusing a fella

the lens itself will b 300m but the optical length on a crop sensor would be 420mm but still remain 300mm on a full frame sensor

Think I should just revert back to one of those little compact cameras Bill,I'm never gonna learn how to use the darn things..usually I'm not too bad with gadgets but these things you need to be a bloody scientist..what's the point of them calling it 300mm if its 420mm haha..talk about confusing a fella

the lens itself will b 300m but the optical length on a crop sensor would be 420mm but still remain 300mm on a full frame sensor

Gotcha lads ..ive been having a read up on Google too,Canon cameras in the main the "crop sensor" ones you just multiply the lens length by 1.6 where as the "full frame" is exactly what it is..waaheeey im getting there..right then ISO next lmao..only kidding folks