Right am thinking about selling a few of my lenses and buying a new lense on the near future want something with a bit of reach probably around 500mm for wildlife shots it's going on my nikon d7000 so don't need a motorised lense and budget wise around 400-500 so presumably looking 2nd hand any opinions?? Or any one selling anything

Thanks

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few from this week with the 300mm f4, quite a distance away though..          

Ha ha .......I dare not let you see the pics of our last day out. You'd get too excited! I've not got them here anyway..... don't keep any photos at my house...   Here's one I took earlier........

great shots ...there not easy as the camera trys to focus on the grass in front of the hare heres a nice sharp bean plant with a hare behind it

Posted Images

IMO forget the 500mm......for your budget you aren't going to get anything good enough to be of use to you. The Monkeys suggestion of 300mm f4 is about the best you will find for the price range IMO.

nearly all my pics are taken with a 300mm....f2.8

• Like 2

Thanks for the replys I am watching a few sigma 50-500 on ebay and was curious if any good

I've got a tamron 300 just don't feel it's got enough reach it might be a idea to rent a couple like you say is there any places round west Yorkshire to hire lenses? Cheers

IMO forget the 500mm......for your budget you aren't going to get anything good enough to be of use to you. The Monkeys suggestion of 300mm f4 is about the best you will find for the price range IMO.

nearly all my pics are taken with a 300mm....f2.8

I agree with JD, Nikon 300mm is brilliant lens and with a cropped sensor and/or a 1x4 teleconverter you'll get the length you need without any visible deterioration in the quality

• Like 2

The 300f4 is as already said a sharp lense pay a little extra and get the afs, the older ed modle you can knock nails in with it it's so well built, I use the 300 95% of the time

JD is right about the price of 400-500 lenses add another 0 even for second hand ones

The sigma I found soft all the way through, and if you think that's heavy try hand holding a nikon 400 2.8 the old version is 10.5 lb

It's so important to get the best glass you can afford

Why not hire one to try out

I hire when I go on certain shoots

• Like 1