A Brief Summary Of My Latest Pigeon Shoot

So the other day, my friend at how to hunting invites me to this farmers land to make a dent in his ferrel pigeon population, 100 or more he said! well i jumped at the chance.

We set off on a winters snowy day at about 3 so we could catch light and we set up in no less than an hour.

Camp soon got dark and we found the torches and nitesite very useful at this point, we set up our 177 and 22 and got popping!!

we collected 40 head or so in the first 3 hours!! We hadnt had a day like this in a long time... as we reloaded we noticed that our food was missing we had brought, following a small, insignificant trail off wrapper and crumbs/seeds (Seaded bread) we got to a small rat hole, we moved camp and unfortunatly only got 4 head of rat, not something id call quarry but we helped i guess...

the best part about that day was that in the shed was a mirror diagnal to a pigeon, my friend said shoot right to hit the buggar!

i swung left and hit the bird with a perfect neck shot!

i learnt on that trip look at your surroundings before setting up and that moving position wont always make a better shoot

Ferrel Pigeon head: 56

Rat head: 4

If anyone has any interesting anecdotes on Hunting experiences please feel free to send them! id love to read them:)

How to hunting team!

• 2 weeks later...

Jairon you should have been big game hunting in the African bush of 1880, with the way you describe your bag tallies as "Head" You'd have loved that. :thumbs:

Can't understand why you do not consider Rats as quarry. They've been bloody great sport all the years I've been baiting and shooting them. ;)

I don't really see why your giving the lad flack for this stuff? The lads getting out and doing a bit (on permission, which is better than me at his age) he's getting a few and trying to share it? Asking on here for permission lol fair enough not the best idea but it's the internet generation, (you can find anything on the internet lol) we used to put cards up in the local shop go free pest control? Rats mice, moles? It's just the way things are now. At least the lads out and doing instead of inside and stewing.

Good on you jairon and keep posting, if you keep doing the job farmers want you to do you will get more permission. The internet a wonderful thing but it doesn't make up for a personal introduction and a job well done ;)

• Like 2

I don't really see why your giving the lad flack for this stuff? The lads getting out and doing a bit (on permission, which is better than me at his age) he's getting a few and trying to share it? Asking on here for permission lol fair enough not the best idea but it's the internet generation, (you can find anything on the internet lol) we used to put cards up in the local shop go free pest control? Rats mice, moles? It's just the way things are now. At least the lads out and doing instead of inside and stewing.

Good on you jairon and keep posting, if you keep doing the job farmers want you to do you will get more permission. The internet a wonderful thing but it doesn't make up for a personal introduction and a job well done ;)

Read the other posts he's been puuting up about the forums. He's already tried giving very dodgy 'advice' on the airgun forum to people who've been shooting for years before he was born. He's the apparent spokesman for a "team" calling themselves "How To Hunting". Yet his profile says he's only been out shooting with an air rifle a couple of times. :hmm:

I can respect any kid wanting to go out and get some permission and write up about his shooting. But this lad is coming over as a Walter Mitty sort and insults peoples' inteligence..

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

It's not just me then

No. We can agree on this one. The lad watched jackanory as a kid. Still does.

And we don't seem to be getting any response from him other than more posts.

A little interaction would be nice

When i was a kid i remember my old man giving me my first break barel. Id head up the derelict hospital grounds or behind the football parks and shoot cans and bottles and the windows and lights in the old hospital. Id bag the odd rabbit,pigeon or squirrel to.not saying its the best thing to do or advising you to do it.but if your a young kid that can get away with it and its all you have its surely better than making up rambo like stories .

• Like 2

Ha ha hadn't read any of the other stuff lol but he still sounds like a keen young lad that maybe likes to tell a bit of a story.... I've certainly met a few story tellers lol I'm sure we all have? It makes for interesting reading if nowt else and I'm sure he will read through the forums and glean a bit more knowledge and become a good contributor to the site, if he doesn't get chased away for "bending the truth" lol I've read a fair few airgun write ups on here that sound like they were executed with military precision? Take it with a pinch of salt lads were supposed to be encouraging people in to the sport not ousting them for using a bit poetic justice ;)

• Like 3

Having reflected on what this lad writes, I'd agree he has enthusiasm and that should be encouraged. I don't honestly think he's a bad lad in any way. But when he writes his experiences here, and adds his good advices on the airgun forum with pearls of wisdom like "Always store a gun upright or lay flat"; it makes you wonder! :blink::victory:

Jairon.

Don't be disheartened by the banter you are getting laddie, nobody means you anything more than a bit of josh for the way you write your hunting stories. ....Keep up the good work with the 'How To Hunting Team'! :thumbs:

• Like 2

As Moxy says a bit more interaction/participation would do the lads cred no harm at all, I am 100% sure he is not a bad sort, just got a vivid imagination thats all, so I will repeat what I said on the airgun section, COME ON LAD TAKE IT WITH A PINCH OF SALT AND GET SOME REPLIES IN :yes:

• Like 2

Jairon you should have been big game hunting in the African bush of 1880, with the way you describe your bag tallies as "Head" You'd have loved that. :thumbs:

Can't understand why you do not consider Rats as quarry. They've been bloody great sport all the years I've been baiting and shooting them. ;)

Just because they carry disease and such mate ahaha and its better that calling it "The kill count" or whatever haha :)

Read the other posts he's been puuting up about the forums. He's already tried giving very dodgy 'advice' on the airgun forum to people who've been shooting for years before he was born. He's the apparent spokesman for a "team" calling themselves "How To Hunting". Yet his profile says he's only been out shooting with an air rifle a couple of times. :hmm:

I can respect any kid wanting to go out and get some permission and write up about his shooting. But this lad is coming over as a Walter Mitty sort and insults peoples' inteligence..

Excuse me... its not my team, im just a new member who started sharing anecdotes on the "adventures" me and the lads have... lets have no hate, come on, were all on here to talk about hunting and such and i gave Advice... meaning what i thought was best, sorry if it was to older people than me but theres no need to insult my inteligence:3