Miler Racing Pigeons.

Wonder if there's any left in UK. Back in 80's talked to a few old time pigeon men and was told of short sprint race's of a mile or two, No clocks birds out of baskets n 1st home. One old fella spoke of the bird flying low so low gates between hedges were opened by young lads for them. He said some pretty big bets placed on these races. This man was 90 then so was going back some. Another bloke had a stuffed miler champion in a case from early 1900's.Also heard and mind reading about pigeons v whippet races. Pigeons flying basket to box. Can vaguely mind Dave Sleight recreate this with a greyhound at some track not so long ago on tv. Anyone know anything about this either past or present. Bet they were fun days.

Used to be a 'shorty' park near where I live. Sunday mornings were great.....The birds were like darts coming across the allotments. Never seen any bird since trap as fast as they did. There was a TV documentary filmed here and Barnsley I think.

• Like 1

They were called , short whippers , around here , I had some on the allotment a few years ago , and to watch them fly was some sight , they seem to clear fences and hedgerows at 100 mph with an inch to spare , they had a few lads ducking for cover while digging their spuds lol , The last time a had a couple after much searching I found an old boy who apparently sold a few to a club in wigan , The birds were killed by cats and when I tried to get replacements , unfortunatly the old fella had passed away , I have never been able o trace the club in wigan , maybe some of the lads on here can help .

Great little vid that Hareydave cheers. Hope them Barnsley boys keep it going great bit of culture and tradition. The old man I spoke to 30 year since told me they raced them over Newcastle town moor. Never heard of them up Northeast in my time being kept or raced. So does anyone know of how they raced them against whippets. Sure I seen article about Dave Sleight racing pigeon against a greyhound at a dog track.Think he is from South Yorkshire ? Cheers boys keep info coming very interesting yet sad its a dying sport. atb.

• Like 1

My grandad was crazy on the pigeons. He was the first one to have a loft when he was moved into the 'new' estate just after his return from the war. From there onwards he helped the younger generation set up their lofts until the estate had many dozens of pigeon men, each trying to beat each other.

pigeons were his life, he never went on holiday, just spent his life getting his birds to be the best he could, and he did have alot of winners. On a saturday we'd have to loiter in the kitchen while he scanned the skies, with aged eyes he still spotted that single tiny dot coming in over the council estate roofs before me.

Down the garden he'd skip, rattling his can of corn, getting his bird in through the bob hole and putting the ring into the old fashioned pigeon clocks. We used to have Yorkshire puddings made from pigeon eggs......made by my nan.

the young lads who my grandad taught are now old men and only a couple are still in the game, but there's still alot of pigeon men in the north, so I think it will be ok for a couple of years more....

• Like 4