Hawke Sidewinder - Your Thoughts Please....

stingray

i favour the 4x16x50 , 10 x1/2 mill dot , great scope , great glass, with added bonus , that you can make it work with chair gun and get the 1/2 mill dots to 5 yard increments ( all hawke scopes with mill dots can do this

you have a great rifle , put agreat scope on it .

as vm has said may be a little over the top for a air rifle , but fec it mate you wont go far wrong

atb

dave

• Like 2

stingray

i favour the 4x16x50 , 10 x1/2 mill dot , great scope , great glass, with added bonus , that you can make it work with chair gun and get the 1/2 mill dots to 5 yard increments ( all hawke scopes with mill dots can do this

you have a great rifle , put agreat scope on it .

as vm has said may be a little over the top for a air rifle , but fec it mate you wont go far wrong

atb

dave

Do you have any experience of the tactical range?

Great scopes but as with everything it all depends on what suits you personally

I've shot sidewinders for years but since I need reading glasses I have struggled with eye relief so I swapped to Viper connects

The vipers are good but the glass is not the same quality as the Hawke

Go and try one first is the best advise I can give you

I've got a Hawke sidewinder and a MTC Mamba with SCB ret and personally would opt for the Mamba over the sidewinder any day, also save a fair bit of coin in doing so too ;)

Same as anything though, bothe cracking scopes but decision comes down to personal preference...

Get yourself down loca gun shop and have a look through both to see which suits you better...

I've got a Hawke sidewinder and a MTC Mamba with SCB ret and personally would opt for the Mamba over the sidewinder any day, also save a fair bit of coin in doing so too ;)

Same as anything though, bothe cracking scopes but decision comes down to personal preference...

Get yourself down loca gun shop and have a look through both to see which suits you better...

Well I am the other way round ,cant stand MTC scopes , just cant get on with them

• Like 1

Well I am the other way round ,cant stand MTC scopes , just cant get on with them

Just goes to show how everyone differs in opinion and how everyone's eye suits different scopes/ret etc

Only way he will find what suits is looking through both and making his decision ;)

Don't forget that with glasses scopes, any make, will give different results. I find that Hawkes and BSA are kinder to my eyes when using either.

A Leapers I bought recently gives milky eye around the edges. As do most MTC and Bushnell I have tried in the past.

My optician mumbled about prism and light refraction awhile ago, went straight over my head, as usual.

Likewise the reticle is a big factor, I cannot use 30/30 and have to have mildot, again all down to the spectacles.

Thats why I think all rifles, whatever type, should come with irons fitted. I turned up at an HFT meet last year not on my patch, shot with a SeeAll sight and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Because thats what shooting is about, enjoyment.

• Like 1

my opinion on hawke sidewinders are generally good for hunting not the best for low light shooting and good when you can adjust parralax to suit range. But for target disciplines not the best for hft as suffer badly with parralax error when not dialled in ;) even with consistent head positioning you get problems and the bigger the ojective lens the the greater the parralax error. again all comes down to personal preference and what suits one will not suit another ;) i love the hawke rets the half mildot and sr pro are some of the nicest. but if i was to buy a hawke scope it would be a panorama half mil dot with 40mm objective lens ;)

• Like 1

Has anyone had experience with an MTC Optics Genesis 5-20x50??? Are they MTC's equivalent of Hawke Sidewinder??? I notice Daystate lean towards MTC when opting for rifle scope combos.

I've got a 5-20x50 Genesis on my .17 Rimfire and it's served me well. Good clear sight picture and I'm happy enough with the reticule. It suits the rifle better than the burris signature that I had on it before IMO. I also have a mamba lite on my rapid mk1 and I'm very pleased with that scope as well for the price.

I've got the 6.5 - 20 x 42 half mildot sidewinder tac 30 on my Airwolf. It's lovely.

I tried the MTC taipan but it just didn't suit my eyes, although I think I would have prefered the MTC SCB reticle.

I will say though, the illuminated reticle started playing up pretty soon after I bought it and now green just doesn't work and red flickers.

However, I've already spoken to Deben and they will take it back whenever I want and fix/replace it under warranty. Just waiting for the last shoot in the HFT season for me and I'll take it off and get it fixed.

Simon