Hawke Sidewinder - Your Thoughts Please....

Just how good are Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scopes?

I've been thinking about upgrading my Hawke Sport HD with a 6.5-20x42 Sidewinder.

Is there anyone with any experience like to share their thoughts?

Current rig: Daystate Airwolf .177, Harris 6-9 Bipod & Hawke Sport HD 4-12x50.

I have a 4.5-14 and to be honest its shit 'ot. Real nice. Heavy, but it's on my 97. I don't like massive objective lens hence the choice. Ret is superb, real sharp. I only use it @ 5x mag as it's used in the field rather than on the hft course. @ 5x mag all I have to do is judge whether the target is less or at 20 yards (pellet is high being a .22) if it isn't, cross hairs at the base of the ears and it's covered all the way out to 40 with 5x mag, being as its half inch drop, or a true inch if it was used at 10x.

Not used it with a lamp yet, but my old Varmint was fine and this is double the scope quality wise.

As an edit. It's as good as my menace optically, which to me is the standard, the only thing that is a con is the lack of first focal plane, but it isn't a con really.

I have a sidewinder with the sr pro recital lovely scope but a bit over the top for airgun use imo , but still love it, I have a couple of hawke sports scopes and taken plenty with them

Edited by villaman
  • Like 1

I use the Hawke sport HD 4-12 x 50 to great effect ,on my HW 100 ks

I use the Mamba Lite MTC-SCB 4-12 x 40 on my .177 HW 100 kt - both scopes are excellent.

I am sure i have read somewhere that the hawke scopes do not mix well with spring rifle recoil and can break ?

I`m sure one of the lads will come along and put me right on this but i have read this somewhere.

Take a look at Mamba Stingray, - they have "lock on" built into them :yes: .

atb

• Like 1

I bought a 4-12x44 model Sidewinder with 30mm tube for my lady's Daystate Huntsman Classic. But, I find the turrets are not always crisp and neatly accurate when you dial your zero in. You have to lift them up from their seated position and turn them appropriately, then push them down to lock them in place. Easy enough but, I find these turrets don't always engage properly and seat exactly where you set them. They need a bit of play to get them to work as they should. You get there in the end though. Maybe the one we have is a bit faulty, or, I'm doing something wrong. :hmm:

Personally, I much prefer the Hawke Panorama 4-12x40mm and 4-12x50mm scopes I have on my HW77 and HW97K respectively. Same reticle as the Sidewinder, perfectly accurate in zero; and a lot easier to zero with simple turning turret controls. Also, not as heavy and keeps the weights of these rifles to a nice minimum.

• Like 3

Genesis is a good un too. You'll find anything around the 300 mark is gonna do you just fine. Simple.

Ret in a Genesis isnt to everyones liking.

DS perhaps only use them as they may have some paperwork saying they should with set ups.

I like all Hawkes and BSA Essentials, I just bought a fancy Leapers for a new HW100. Zeroed it, played with its multi coloured reticle, it shot well. Then I put the BSA Essential back on it.

Scope dinosaur?

Nope, I think use whats right for you. I like simplicity and ruggedness.

I am a Tyke, I have an aversion to spending a lot on glass. Fifty yards or so is not Bisley CSR, my opinion I know, but its stood the test of time.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of money over the years on diffrent scopes , and now I've ended up with 3 sidewinders

I can't fault them ,

But hey every boby to there own

Dave

Which Sidewinder do you prefer as a see that you have different models and different reticles?