Parker hale .308

Parker Hale rifles were some of the best, that includes what they made and what they marketed.

'98 action, nice calibre, if it was in good nick and I wanted a do-it-all hunting rifle, I'd be interested myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked the Parker Hale Safari 7.62 up last week and on examination, it has never had a shot fired out of it. The grinding mark (fleck from cylindrical grinding are still unburnished on the bolt. There are no powder burns in the breach or around the muzzle, still original gunblue. The magazine plate has not got any scuffs from bullets being loaded. When I got it back home after purchase I took it apart to give it a service and set the trigger to my liking, it still had the original packaging grease under there. It came with the original box (good condition) and a perfect condition original gun manual + parker hale scope rings in box also unused. Cost me £279, not bad eh. : Yes? :yes:

Trying it out on the range this coming Sunday, 500 & 300 yards. Let you know how it goes.

James

Edited by Silver

Feck me but that sounds like a find alright.

Take it handy with the first session, if the barrel has yet to be shot-in you'll have to take your time cleaning between shots.

A PM to Baldie, the moderator wouldn't go amiss, he'd give you a schedule of what to do on a rifles first outing.

• 2 weeks later...

The barrel has now bedded down nicely and the rifle has proved to be a very accurate piece of kit hitting the 'V' bull at 500 yards. I've had one disappointment though; I fitted 'B-Square windage and elevation mounts with the high rise 5mm accessory. Not a good idea! Unable to tighten down enough to prevent recoil moving the scope. I was informed by the shop where I purchased that they were up to a 7,62 (.308). They obviously are not. I would not recommend these mounts to anyone with a rifle over (.22 LR rimfire) :no: I emailed the manufacturer and they suggested using loctite! No sorry, loctite is a poor excuse for under engineering, I don't think the great British Engineer Mr I Brunnel used Loctite. :no: Imagine trying to remove under engineered grub screws loctited in, or using a loctite solvent and ruining the gunblue. I don't think so. No problems though, the shop exchanged for my money back (£50.00) and I've got some ( heavy duty 'Warne Ultra high mounts') on the way so Mr 'B-Square has lost a customer here :thumbdown: .

• 4 weeks later...
The barrel has now bedded down nicely and the rifle has proved to be a very accurate piece of kit hitting the 'V' bull at 500 yards. I've had one disappointment though; I fitted 'B-Square windage and elevation mounts with the high rise 5mm accessory. Not a good idea! Unable to tighten down enough to prevent recoil moving the scope. I was informed by the shop where I purchased that they were up to a 7,62 (.308). They obviously are not. I would not recommend these mounts to anyone with a rifle over (.22 LR rimfire) :no: I emailed the manufacturer and they suggested using loctite! No sorry, loctite is a poor excuse for under engineering, I don't think the great British Engineer Mr I Brunnel used Loctite. :no: Imagine trying to remove under engineered grub screws loctited in, or using a loctite solvent and ruining the gunblue. I don't think so. No problems though, the shop exchanged for my money back (£50.00) and I've got some ( heavy duty 'Warne Ultra high mounts') on the way so Mr 'B-Square has lost a customer here :thumbdown: .

Hi,

I am looking at buying a used Parker Hale .308 sporting rifle too, but can you tell me if brand new versions are easy to come by... or you just got lucky with that purchase..?

What sort of scope do you recommend for shooting at say 100 - 600yrds please, preferably not too expensive though. The mounts are another big question for me too... with open sights also included I would prefer the high mounts so both can be used... is that what you did...?

Anyway.. any info and I would be grateful.

Cheeers.

themarkone.

Guest Macnas

Parker-Hale no longer manufacture firearms.

You still see cleaning kits and other odds and ends with the PH brand, but even those are produced by someone else, they just use the PH tradename.

www.guntrader.co.uk usually has a fair few, go take a look-see.

Hi there

I think generally I was lucky to pick one up in such good condition and for a low price. But they are around and you may need to search for a while. Unfortunately Parker Hale no longer manufacture so you really do need one with plenty of service life still left in it.

As far as scope mounts go, I first had to purchase some weaver type scope blocks as it was near impossible to obtain high mounts to fit the existing Parker Hale scope blocks. Got mine from Midaway UK on the web. I then used high mounts weaver type to clear the bolt when opening.

I mounted a 3-9 X 50 AO scope with 72MOA adjustment by 1/4 click, this just about does it for a .308 Win (146 grain 7,62 x 51NATO bullet) at 1200 yards.

I've added a harrison bipod 9"-13" this brings the total rifle scope etc weight up to just under 7.5 lbs, but beware its still light and has around a 15ft/lb recoil at calculated 11.5 ft/s with the 146g bullet. Should not be a problem though I have used 180g boat tail and still no hasel.

Have fun

I'm really enjoying mine. :boogie:

Edited by Silver

Hi,

I am looking at buying a used Parker Hale .308 sporting rifle too, but can you tell me if brand new versions are easy to come by... or you just got lucky with that purchase..?

What sort of scope do you recommend for shooting at say 100 - 600yrds please, preferably not too expensive though. The mounts are another big question for me too... with open sights also included I would prefer the high mounts so both can be used... is that what you did...?

Anyway.. any info and I would be grateful.

Cheeers.

themarkone.

i have a parker-hale 1200 series in .243 cal ,it has been my main gun for 20 years ,......try Towers of Rochdale ,he seems to get a few in and his place is like an aladins cave , (thats if he is still going now)