Opinions On Which Way To Go?

Just thought i would ask on here as to regards what running dog people would get/ advice for my situation (apologies now for the waffle). I have been planning to get a running dog for a good while and done plenty of research, but I took the decision to bring a young terrier pup on for bushing last spring and she is now yearly a year old and has been brought on with my old mans dogs and is doing well. But she really needs a runner in order not to waste her knack for flushing stuff and it was always my intention to get one anyway.

I am lucky in that my uncle owns a large farm with good fields with plenty of thick hedgerows, a few small wooded areas and quiet a few small ponds. There is plenty of game of all sorts on this land and it is good flat arable land in the main. The only difficulty being it is a 50 min drive from where i currently live. Working full time (i get good holidays though) i realistically get over there on average twice a week at best during the season. Day to day i just mooch about twice a day on local spots which are generally woodland areas with the odd patch of clearings, they hold limited game but enough scent to keep the dogs happy and in good shape.

My old man has what i would consider a good beddie x greyhound type lurcher around 23tts that comes out when working the farm, alongside a little pack of terriers, including mine. This dog is a good allrounder and i have been looking to possibly get a pup off him, but finding a suitable bitch isnt easy. Another option is to go with a dog breed off my uncles running dog, which is a fairly well known lurcher (saluki, greyhound, wheaton x), having won various comps, but he generally works on bigger land and it is slightly bigger dog, perhaps put to a whippet it may produce what i want but to ask him to breed a litter from one pup, as they wouldnt be suitable for his requirements is a big ask.

I have 3 dogs already, two of which potter along but are not essentially working dogs, as when i got them i wasnt in a position to consistently work a dog, but getting rid of them isnt an option. In truth i had thought the my oldest dog might have popped there clogs by now but she seems to have got a second wind lol So ideally i dont want another large dog at the minute, as four in the house and the boot is a struggle. I have been looking at whippets as they would seemingly fit in well, but i must admit the advice from my family who have kept running dogs since day dot, is the usual 'they are to frail, easily broken' and in the back of my mind, the day to day land i mooch around in is certainly not a speed runners dream, being mainly wooded areas. The farm i wouldnt have too many concerns but as i say day to day i cant always get there to hunt. Its a bit catch 22, as i need something with speed to hunt the land at the farm, as runs are generally short and sharp between sections of hedgerows but durable at the same time, as inevitable with the terrier and my amazing bushing Schnauzer (joke) we bump into other stuff whilst walking locally. I have recently been out with a few beddie x whippets, as this seemed a senisble option but as much as i like them, they got a bit found out for speed against my old mans dog and some bunnies, even on the shorter runs. I arent after a world beater, but dont want a dog that gets found out either, because i dont beleive in moving dogs on, if i did i wouldnt have 2 pets curled up at my feet.

Apologies for the waffle but it hopefully makes it easier for people to give better advice and i would appreciate peoples thoughts and even better experiences with different xs from people perhaps in similar situations. I should add a dog of 21tts is really where i have set my mark for size, I know full well that this will limit the dogs capabilities, but bunnies are my only real interest and my utility room can only fit a medium sized dog bed lol All the best Matt

Wales a Beddie x whippet was always my intention i like a rougher coated dog and their compact size would suit, as I say though my concern is having done some research and been out with a few they look quicker than they actually are and have struggled to catch on the farm, maybe they were poor examples, put in honesty i dont think they were i just think the land is fast. I should add they were all first x dogs around the 20tts mark but definately racey types. Was perhaps thinking of going 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddie but i have found it difficult to even find this x to see work and the coat seem to throw to the whippet with this x, which isnt great. Thanks for the input.

A few lads have said that their 1st x beddy/whips were not quite fast enough. 3/4 whip/beddy could be a good option, as along with being a bit faster, most seem to throw a pretty good coat too. As for pure whippets being too fragile or easily broken etc, or not being suitable for wooded areas, well alot of people on here seem to be of the same opinion, but I have to disagree. Seen plenty, and owned a couple of whippets that caught very well in wooded areas, and missed trees etc easily, and certainly faired no worse, and in the nain quite a lot better than bigger, stronger dogs. I think whippets can use their speed and less bodyweight to very good advantage in most fairly 'tight' areas better than most types. Just my opinion though, good luck with your choice :thumbs:.

Edited to add, I've also seen a couple of 1st x deer/greys go through woodland at a good rate of knots without getting injured too! Lol :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark

Yes a Beddie x grew type could be a good option wouldn't really want a first x though as I would be a tad worried about throwing too much Beddie. I think in all honesty a rough coated thicker set whippet is essentially what I am look for finding one might be the issue but I am in no rush. Cheers for the input.

I'm sure I seen that nothernlite might be breeding his beddy whippet grey to another of that type , something like that may suit you ..

• Like 2

a good whippet is a sight to watch, nothing faster from a standing start and can turn on a tanner, kept on a slip and released when the terriers bolt something it can run, then it has the same chance of injuries as any other cross.