Make Your Own Tools Thread.

Speaking of dumpster diving, got this chainsaw off the skip, the ignition coil had come adrift, the bolts had stripped out and weren't holding. bored right through the casing and put longer blots with a nut on the end. Cut all my firewood for the last 2 years with it, bonus-even had a full tank of fuel. :laugh:

DSCN7134_zpszdp1eb38.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Griff ...your rapidly turning into a legend mate ...you would have had a field day in my shed a few months ago , I chucked out all the old power tools that I was going to send in for repair but never got round to , routers , drills (3) two angle grinders , two chainsaws ...gave them all to a fella advertising for broken tools in the local paper ....think in future I'll at least have a look inside .

• Like 1

Well here is the latest machine to be resurrected. Just finished cutting the grass with it. Came off the skip last year, looked like the self drive had come loose and got tangled in the blade, ripped it and the back wheels off, then left sat outside for a while so the control cables corroded up inside the outer casings. Anyway a couple of evenings work and it is starting & running better than my £300 mower. Never ceases to amaze me what people chuck, even had a tank of fuel! :laugh:

That's one for each of my boys to push now! :thumbs:

DSCN7141_zpsmee1p4zb.jpg

For speed i just cut the ends off the cables and fitted some straight plain used bike cables and clamped the ends off the old cables on them with the innards of some electrical fitting, works fine but may get a proper replacement cable set although to date there is no material cost, just time.

DSCN7142_zpsrb4dzrfn.jpg

DSCN7145_zps8hndfvk9.jpg

Simple buffer made up from an old headstock off something, can't remember what, old 3/4 hp? motor, socket switch, sectional V-belt. Basic but very handy, lashed together in a hurry, always intended refining it a bit and making it more compact but never got round to it. Cloth buffer on one side, wire wheel on other, far more power than a bench grinder. Used most days.

DSCN7137_zpsi5q1q1ow.jpg

• Like 3

Can i come and play at your house? PLEASE!!!! Im one of these people that pulls all the crap of the tip and thinks "i'll do something with that" but all i end up with is a full garage!!! lol would love your imagination and inginuety. I have a lot of respect for people like yourself griff. Well done mate.

• Like 2

Can i come and play at your house? PLEASE!!!! Im one of these people that pulls all the crap of the tip and thinks "i'll do something with that" but all i end up with is a full garage!!! lol would love your imagination and inginuety. I have a lot of respect for people like yourself griff. Well done mate.

Who says my shed isn't full of rubbish :laugh: I generally have a collecting spate, then i can't move and have a serous tidy up and put it all back to the skip again! :blink:

Thanks for the positive feedback guys :thumbs:

Edited by GruffaloGriff

Time of year for splitting up clumps of bulbs now the flowers have gone by and spread them around. I plant a lot along the roadside and in other areas of rough old grass, did it with a spade last year but seemed to take more effort than it should cutting through many years layers of tough grass.

Had the bright idea to make up a tool specific for the job, consists of a chunk of landy leaf spring, cutting of trampoline leg and a broken wooden grass guide off my ancient bar mower. Lashed together in a hurry, so not made for it's looks but to be used, took half an hour at most. Used it all afternoon and it works a treat. Planted 100's of bulbs.

DSCN7177_zpsbmd5l8j3.jpg

DSCN7185_zpspx5xiskd.jpg

DSCN7190_zpshsjuyeao.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 3

handy looking mattocky type tool that, I bought one a few years ago and its great for clearing rough stuff out...

Looking at this thread, I NEED to buy a welder......just got to....

Great stuff Griff.....

• Like 1

handy looking mattocky type tool that, I bought one a few years ago and its great for clearing rough stuff out...

Looking at this thread, I NEED to buy a welder......just got to....

Great stuff Griff.....

Cheers Wullz, it certainly makes short work of roots and grubbing up stones etc, a bit of a beast rely, half an hour of hacking with it and you know about your shoulder muscles! :blink:

After an angle grinder a welder is the most handy tool in my shop. Easy to teach yourself, main thing is the cleaner you grind the steel you are working on the better weld you will get and make sure you have a clean bit for the earth clamp on your work. After that just start on a pile of scrap and learn what setting is best for what thickness. Better a tad hot if you aren't sure, crank it down if it starts to burn holes.

I started with a 170 amp Mig welder for the range 1-6mm possibly not the simplest as but you do need a bottle of shield gas and there can be issues with wire feed but it suits me. Now i see you get multipurpose Inverter welders that do stick welding, TIG welding and Plasma cutting, seem cheap for what they are if they were around when i started i would likely have gone that way.

A bit of a plunge but you won't regret it, especially with the Interweb tutorials etc now should be easy to pick it up yourself-go and buy a welder, you won't regret it! Then you can post your creations up here! ;)

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 1