Make Your Own Tools Thread.

Not sure if paddles count as tools- maybe more one for the kids? but going to post them anyway to fill a gap.

Got given a couple of kids kayaks a couple of months ago, severely in need of repair. Been used as sledges so gives you an ides of the abuse they had. Anyway spent the afternoon with my boy and did a bit of quick patchwork on the fiberglass. No paddles so lashed these up quickly. Not fancy but functional, them and the kayaks completed after lunch and by tea time!

Square cut 2 pieces of 32mm Douglas fir (actually 100year old + salvaged off a wreck during 2nd world war, got a whole lorry load of 5 x 2's for £100, some a staggering 40' long!) Run through router with a 15mm round over bit on all 4 corners, slotted to take blades. Blades - a slice of Meranti salvaged out of the firewood bin at work. Cut out blade shape and glued/screwed in place with Lumberjack and stainless screws. Quick finish-boil up bees wax and paint it on bubbling hot then blast quickly with blow torch to get the wood to soak it up-fast and effective!

P1030061_zpsgcn6dhpt.jpg

P1030058_zpsv0psxz3g.jpg

P1030063_zpsnulwuax8.jpg

They were keen to get them sea tested despite the fog coming in! They work a treat!

P1030081_zpsyw42lsvg.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 6

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Really do like this thread just wish I had the space and time for all the projects I'd like too maybe when I win the lottery lol

Thanks Biglurks, good to hear folks enjoy it. I have plenty of space, not so much time as i would like and most of my projects cost nothing as they are made form junk! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Not made much recently but been fixing loads of power tools. Buying broken ones and repairing/servicing and selling on, nice little earner. 18v Lithium Makita tools are very popular, only disadvantage is replacement batteries cost nearly as much as the tools. Picked up some shot batteries from work and decided to investigate. Getting in is the first problem, they are held together with torque anti tamper screws in a deep recess, too tight for a hex bit. Sorted by putting a long reach hex anti tamper bit in my cordless drill and running it against the bench grinder to taper the shank down to size.

P1030273_zpsitufyic7.jpg

Inside they are made up of 5 pairs of cells seems to be the first pair that goes, rest are fine. Cut the bad cells off the tabs with a small sharp chisel and cut a good pair out of a scrap pack and solder them in.

P1030270_zpsrrlrisdg.jpg

P1030272_zpsnmxrju8a.jpg

The other snag is Makita have put a brain in the batteries so if they show as a fault 3 times on the charger it shuts down the mother board for good. Only way round it i have found is to replace the board. £7.50 each off ebay from China a bit of faffing but better than £50+ for a new battery pack. Remove old and fit new board with soldering iron.

P1030274_zpsmeonjwn8.jpg

Re assemble and charge. Fresh charged 18v battery reads around or just over 20v. I cut slots in the heads of the anti tamper screws with a hacksaw before re-assembling so an ordinary screwdriver could be used.

P1030275_zps2ynmt19c.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 5

Not made much recently but been fixing loads of power tools. Buying broken ones and repairing/servicing and selling on, nice little earner. 18v Lithium Makita tools are very popular, only disadvantage is replacement batteries cost nearly as much as the tools. Picked up some shot batteries from work and decided to investigate. Getting in is the first problem, they are held together with torque anti tamper screws in a deep recess, too tight for a hex bit. Sorted by putting a long reach hex anti tamper bit in my cordless drill and running it against the bench grinder to taper the shank down to size.

P1030273_zpsitufyic7.jpg

Inside they are made up of 5 pairs of cells seems to be the first pair that goes, rest are fine. Cut the bad cells off the tabs with a small sharp chisel and cut a good pair out of a scrap pack and solder them in.

P1030270_zpsrrlrisdg.jpg

P1030272_zpsnmxrju8a.jpg

The other snag is Makita have put a brain in the batteries so if they show as a fault 3 times on the charger it shuts down the mother board for good. Only way round it i have found is to replace the board. £7.50 each off ebay from China a bit of faffing but better than £50+ for a new battery pack. Remove old and fit new board with soldering iron.

P1030274_zpsmeonjwn8.jpg

Re assemble and charge. Fresh charged 18v battery reads around or just over 20v. I cut slots in the heads of the anti tamper screws with a hacksaw before re-assembling so an ordinary screwdriver could be used.

P1030275_zps2ynmt19c.jpg

Griff you really are above and beyond us bodgers. :thumbs:

TC

• Like 1

P1030273_zpsitufyic7.jpg

P1030270_zpsrrlrisdg.jpg

P1030272_zpsnmxrju8a.jpg

P1030274_zpsmeonjwn8.jpg

P1030275_zps2ynmt19c.jpg

Griff you really are above and beyond us bodgers. :thumbs:

TC

Super bodger, i like it! :laugh:

• Like 2

Just spent a well spent hour reading through this thread and what a brilliant thread it is for sure,your a clever man GG and i take my hat off to you for doing the things i wish i could do :victory: ..Thank you :thumbs:

• Like 2

Thanks guys, glad you are enjoying it, just doing what i enjoy bodging to the extreme! :laugh:

No A team training just all self taught. If it is broken i take it apart, if it can't be fixed nothing lost and if nothing else a bit more useful information learned for future reference and usually some parts that may come in handy for something else.

Just spent a well spent hour reading through this thread and what a brilliant thread it is for sure,your a clever man GG and i take my hat off to you for doing the things i wish i could do :victory: ..Thank you :thumbs:

Cheers fireman, glad you are enjoying it. Check out my other threads for some more whacky projects! ;)

• Like 1
Guest Navek

Griff if the world turns to shite and we have an Armageddon kind of situation can me and my family come live with you..hahaha your defo the man to have round in a bad situation Lol keep up the good work

Hi Griff

Those batteries look like 18650 li-ion, I bought two old laptop batteries and stripped them, Inside were six of them!

If the laptop battery has stopped working then usually one or maybe two of them have gone altogether but the rest are OK, I was lucky, both batteries were still good so I got twelve batteries for £6 :thumbs:

18650_zpsfvkxdzq2.jpg

All of them charge to 4 volts or over each :yes:

John :bye:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes that looks like them, slightly different markings but makita tend to use Sony Konion LiMn 18650 cells and new replacements are £5-10 each so 12 for £6 is a good buy. I take all the dead battery packs from work so cost me nothing. ;)

Edited by GruffaloGriff