Make Your Own Tools Thread.

Thanks guys, as always your comments are appreciated.

Slight deviation from tools but on a bit of a gardening theme just now, made up this hanging flower/ strawberry planter for Mrs Griff out of a broken chimney pot, turned upside down. I have had a pile of the galvanized ends i cut off some angle iron fencing posts, thought they might be useful sometime, welded them up for the base.

DSCN7163_zpskmjlvqp3.jpg

DSCN7157_zpsletu1orq.jpg

DSCN7162_zpswldm5lod.jpg

I also made up another weeding tool for the garden, will get some picks up soon.

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 1

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Griff that grubbing tool is my favourite home made tool ..closely followed by the new bulb planter ..it's truly amazing that you can get something that's useless( Land Rover ) and turn it into something that will work for years without letting you down ...The marketing boys would have a field day if they new about you , I can just see the advert know " buy a Landrover and when it breaks down it can be turned into a garden hoe " ...keep it coming ..

• Like 2

Griff that grubbing tool is my favourite home made tool ..closely followed by the new bulb planter ..it's truly amazing that you can get something that's useless( Land Rover ) and turn it into something that will work for years without letting you down ...The marketing boys would have a field day if they new about you , I can just see the advert know " buy a Landrover and when it breaks down it can be turned into a garden hoe " ...keep it coming ..

:laugh: :laugh:

Yes it turned out alright that one, must admit it looks the part.

Edited by GruffaloGriff

Another one for the garden, salvaged the broken head ages agoe. Welded a bit of trampoline leg on to it to beef up the tang to 32mm. Had a bit of iroko that was as bent as a dogs hind legg so not been used for anything else, made use of the curve as it was, straight the other way as you can see in the photo. Square cut to 32mm and ran the corners off with a 16mm round over bit in the router, mounted in a table. Also did the end to give a nice round, it is just as it came off the cutter, no sanding etc, good enough for a handle. Wont break that one in a hurry!

P1020962_zpsawdbqvnc.jpg

P1020963_zps012dxcya.jpg

P1020964_zpsusymg1hh.jpg

• Like 3

Brilliant!!

You've made/saved some fantastic gear :thumbs:

I used to love 'mending' stuff and used to buy loads of non working drills/grinders/Planers etc from the bootsale but my garage was broken in to and the lot nicked!

They only got a 7 1/4" Circ saw, A Jig saw and an electric planer that worked, The whole lot of the rest of the stuff was for parts!! I'll bet they thought they'd hit the jackpot!! :laugh:

I'd love to have been in the boozer when they sold them :boogy: I'll bet they got mobbed the next time they went in!! :yes:

This little drill I bought from Aldi and still use it today!, It has a 2/3hp motor and a 5/8" chuck!!!, The bigger one on the right came from the dump, I saw a bloke struggling to get it out of his car, I asked if I could have it, he said 'Please take it'!! It was around 20yds to the scap bin and only two yards to my boot!! I snaffled it up, It hadn't been used!, He told me his father in law bought it but then was taken ill, He never recovered :o

adumpitprize.jpg

This 110v 4" wide belt sander was a freebie from work!

We had very bad floods back in '06, this was totally submersed, Our foreman was going to throw it in the skip so I begged it off him, I put it in a corner of our cabin to completely dry out for a fortnight then blew it out with high pressure air, Plugged it in and away it went!! :clapper: I expected to have to replace the bearings but they're still running quietly now after nine years!!

anvilsander.jpg

I also had this patternmakers toolbox given to me by the fella that made it!, It too was a victim of the flood! The thing is that it was so well made that it floated round and no water got in!!

I washed the outside and have used it ever since!!

TB1.jpg

There's all sorts of rammel inside!! :rofl:

TB2.jpg

One of my sheds collapsed so all the stuff was crammed in to my garage!

I have an MG midget in there now too and a big Startrite Bandsaw that came to live with me off Fleabay!! :doh:

amuckyshop.jpg

There's actually a ten foot steel shed that's never been erected in there too!!

I'll have to get a bed laid to get the thing put up so that I can get in again to start making knives!!!

John...

• Like 3

Mate asked me if i could weld a patch on the deck of his mower recently, said yes no problem.......................then i saw the mower..............anyways not to be beat i did a bit of paper machete with stainless steel sink and my welder, finished off with a bit of P40 on the top............. good as new. :blink:

DSCN5784_zps9ai4hrgs.jpg

DSCN5785_zps3w5jsq9n.jpg

DSCN5783_zpse8eycans.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 2

Wow!!

That repair looks pretty epic!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

John

Thanks John good to have your input on the forum. Can't believe he was still mowing the grass with it! As you can see it was just the back half of the deck that was still in tact. He said the grass was spraying out a hole in the deck..... understatement of the year! :icon_eek:

Looking at your flikr pics, very impressive collection of old air rifles. Do you do the repair work? Look first class.

Atb Griff

• Like 1

Hi Griff

Most folk would have consigned the mower to the bin, Some would have tried to source a replacement deck off the bay but not many would tackle a repair on the tinworm infested one there!! 12/10 for for an excellent job!! :notworthy::notworthy:

Regarding the guns, I still try to get my projects going but I have arthritis in my hands now, It makes it a bit hard to mess with the small parts and I tend to drop things a lot!! :(

I recently acquired an old HW80 mk1, It was pretty cheap as it was dead rusty!!

I managed to get through the rust and get a polish on the action then a mate took it in and got it hot chemically blacked for me, It's a stunner now and only stands me to £85 :good:

Cheers, John :bye:

• Like 1

Sounds like a nice project, you should put up a thread on here about it, be good to see some variety.

Bummer about the arthritis, very frustrating when you have the ability but not physically able. I knacker my back by 25 so can't do a lot of stuff i have the skill to do but just not fit. Saying that i am always busy making something, still not enough time to do all i want!

That finger looks sore did you shoot it with a pellet? A lot of nerves in the end of you finger, trimmed the ends off two of mine with a circular saw once, thankfully didn't take any of the bone, just flesh & nail so they managed to pull it all together with stitches bit like a draw string on a duffel bag. Bit flat on the ends now and numb but don't look bad. Only good thing i am super careful now with anything with fast spinning blades! :yes:

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 1

Sounds like a nice project, you should put up a thread on here about it, be good to see some variety.

Bummer about the arthritis, very frustrating when you have the ability but not physically able. I knacker my back by 25 so can't do a lot of stuff i have the skill to do but just not fit. Saying that i am always busy making something, still not enough time to do all i want!

That finger looks sore did you shoot it with a pellet? A lot of nerves in the end of you finger, trimmed the ends off two of mine with a circular saw once, thankfully didn't take any of the bone, just flesh & nail so they managed to pull it all together with stitches bit like a draw string on a duffel bag. Bit flat on the ends now and numb but don't look bad. Only good thing i am super careful now with anything with fast spinning blades! :yes:

It was only a BB pistol Griff, A Crosman 338, I'd just bought it and put a Co2 cart in, fired a few BB's then it vented all the gas :icon_eek:

I put another in and fired a few more shots and it stayed OK, I emptied the hopper of the BB's that were left but forgot that steel BB guns have a magnetic breech as the BB's would roll out of the barrel if pointed down!

I left it for a week and expected the gas to have leaked away, I then committed the cardinal sin and didn't treat it as loaded, I was expecting nothing to happen when I pulled the tigger pointing towards my hand!!

It had held the gas superbly and the magnetic breech had done it's job too!

The BB hit my ring finger and spalshed blood all round the bedroom!, Strangely it didn't hurt a bit, It could be because as a kid I sliced through the ring and middle fingers down to the bone whilst sledding!! I think the nerves are still dead!!

I really wouldn't have thought a low powered BB gun could have done such damage :cray:

I bought a Webley Stinger pistol at the bootsale on sunday, It wasn't shooting at all so I stripped it and found it to be so dry that friction was slowing the piston down heaps!!

I cleaned it out and put some Ballistol oil on the Oring and in the piston and the difference is amazing!!

I set up a range at around 14 feet in the bedroom and used a BSA heavy steel target holder, This little pistol has dented the thing! :icon_eek::blink:

Webley%20Stinger%20l.s_zpsnimxjdbo.jpg

Stripped..

Webley%20Stinger%20stripped_zpsq6q3jyx6.

shot peening of the target holder!!

Webley%20Stinger%20damage_zps5skfwwwl.jp

John :)

• Like 1

"Strangely it didn't hurt a bit, It could be because as a kid I sliced through the ring and middle fingers down to the bone whilst sledding!! "

Mine didn't hurt at the time, happened that fast, i guess adrenaline cut in. Different story when i came to get the stitches out 3 weeks later and the nail had grown over them, still all scabbed up and they dug around for a while with me squirming and sweating, gave me some gas & air, still couldn't get them pulled out, said come back next day and do under proper anesthetic. No thank you.........went home and that night soaked the scabs off in hot water for an hour then spent another hour doing DIY surgery digging in underneath my nail and cutting/ pulling out the stitches. :bad:

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 1

"Strangely it didn't hurt a bit, It could be because as a kid I sliced through the ring and middle fingers down to the bone whilst sledding!! "

Mine didn't hurt at the time, happened that fast, i guess adrenaline cut in. Different story when i came to get the stitches out 3 weeks later and the nail had grown over them, still all scabbed up and they dug around for a while with me squirming and sweating, gave me some gas & air, still couldn't get them pulled out, said come back next day and do under proper anesthetic. No thank you.........went home and that night soaked the scabs off in hot water for an hour then spent another hour doing DIY surgery digging in underneath my nail and cutting/ pulling out the stitches. :bad:

It's really strange but there was no pain whatsoever from me doing the deed to it being fully healed!! Can't even see a mark now, Only the scars from the sledge runners! :yes:

John :D