Make Your Own Tools Thread.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Not done any lathe work for a while so dug out my motley assortment of tools today, mostly all home made, ground from files, no treatment just work fine as they are for scrapers. Just make up shapes as required. Not fancy but functional and work well.

DSCN7053_zpsznomaqkq.jpg

Display stand for daughters pendants first on the menu today. (after routing Walshies sign)

DSCN7043_zpsrabmtenf.jpg

DSCN7046_zpsvzp1oz2e.jpg

Cut a heart shaped base from a 20m stone slate with a diamond jigsaw blade , just got a pack off ebay, very impressed, 5 for £10. Bored hole with a diamond core bit and turned a shoulder on the bottom of the upright, couple of saw cuts and glued/wedged into the stone base, gives good stability.

DSCN7041_zpsfad3gsmb.jpg

Finished article ready to go to the craft shop. Pendant prices range from £2.50 to £4.50 although see how they go but i think they are priced on the cheap side, two of the £4.50 ones already sold and they haven't even left the house yet!

DSCN7050_zps4tl9lv7e.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
Guest Navek

Smart them gruff I'm sure you kids love some of your crazy and wakky inventions......be like growing up with a dad like him of chitty chitty bang bang.....how would you fare at making swords from leaf spring ????

Smart them gruff I'm sure you kids love some of your crazy and wakky inventions......be like growing up with a dad like him of chitty chitty bang bang.....how would you fare at making swords from leaf spring ????

Yes it rubs off on them, they all make stuff too. Better than sitting in front of a screen! :icon_eek:

Never tried a sword, i would think leaf spring would be perfect though, good carbon content but tough. Would need to make some type of adaption to my forge to heat something that long but that would be part of the challenge. :hmm:

Not relay my intention but i have picked up a couple of commissions since posting up stuff on here. If you are serious send me a pm, would be unique and quality but wouldn't be cheap! Made to any design with a flourish of Griff thrown in. ;)

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest ebay spare or repairs angle grinder £7 inc postage, quick fix a wire had come adrift from the field coil to brush, soldered and right as rain.

DSCN7124_zps7izbjpcz.jpg

Gathering quite an arsenal of grinders, laziness really but handy not to have to change discs etc between jobs. All spare/ repair and under £10 each total outlay.

DSCN7125_zpso9a6rxvc.jpg

Thinking to adapt the latest one to have a long reach attachment to get into those awkward nooks & crannies.

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 1

That Bosch one looks new , good buy for a tenner Griff ..

You are quite right sussex, i tell a lie, the Bosh was a new return, think it was nearer £30 on auction, still a bargain at that. I bought it to replace my old Woolies one that finally gave up the ghost. The other 3 were bought since and all spare or repair, another Makia not in the picture which i turned into a concrete plainer, likewise under a tenner repair. A big 9" Bosch also made into a concrete plainer, will get some pics of them up.

I needed something fast that worked, but it got me thinking, i stripped and repaired the old one several times over the years so why not buy broken ones and fix them, it turns out a very cost effective way of building up a bank of assorted brand name power tools. Done a Makita router, a Makita random orbital sander and a Makita belt sander recently also for a fraction of new cost.

Never had any training, just always taken things apart, usually a visual inspection will pick up what is wrong, move the parts by hand and see what isn't making contact, rubbing worn or making a funny noise etc. A basic electrical tester is also very handy, first point of call check the fuse, then the continuity of cable for any brakes, often that is all it is, half the time it can be fixed without parts, if parts are needed most things can be bought on ebay or elsewhere on the world wide interweb.

Edited by GruffaloGriff

on the topic of making your own tolls if any one has a small metal lathe and a tap and die set and want a simple comission drop me a pm

What you got in mind? Have an ancient Victorian bench top metal lathe that will do small stuff not so sure about adding threads though, an engineer shop might be a better bet if it for something precision.

Brilliant :-)

Got a slate ripper given other day, thought it would make a good sword.

Could you use an old one of them?

Kind offer thanks, but probably more useful as a slate ripper. Not rely intending to make a sword, think it might take a bit of explaining to my good lady, she is very patient with all my wild inventions but think medieval weaponry might be pushing my luck! :laugh:

Brilliant :-)

Got a slate ripper given other day, thought it would make a good sword.

Could you use an old one of them?

Kind offer thanks, but probably more useful as a slate ripper. Not rely intending to make a sword, think it might take a bit of explaining to my good lady, she is very patient with all my wild inventions but think medieval weaponry might be pushing my luck! :laugh:
Lol :-)
  • Like 1

Here's the concrete planers. The big one rips concrete down unbelievably fast, the smaller makita has variable speed and can get right into the wall. Made them after i had a new concrete floor put in my house, got a professional firm in as i wanted it done right, last time i do that. Two days grinding and a few bags of self leveling compound i had it where i wanted it, been better off doing it myself in the first place. It is dead level and flat now though and i am fussy!

DSCN7128_zps0lmxvrcn.jpg

Bought diamond cup discs on ebay at auction, built the extraction attachments to suite whatever size the cups i won were.

DSCN7129_zpsuh29maik.jpg

Dust extraction was essential as it was in the house, although it was gutted at the time. Bike inner tube cable tied around the hoods can be slipped down to contact the floor. I found a hoover just choked up rely fast with the fine concrete dust so collected several hoovers off the skip and pulled all the filters out of them, set the hoover outside and connected to the grinder inside with several old henery hoover hoses joined together. Just let the dust blow away on the hardcore driveway. Bearings and brushes lasted about a couple of hours in the old hoovers sucking the dust right through them but just exchanged it for another when the old one burnt out. Plan to make a decent extractor some day when i get the time.

DSCN7132_zpsehzymppi.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 2