Make Your Own Tools Thread.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok a lot of folks showing interest in the deer antler Opinels i have been doing so did a step by step tutorial when i made Flackos one.Posting here to keep all my stuff on one thread.   Use surclip

Thanks Guys, Glad you like them.   Heres the latest made it today. It's a Opinel No 12. Carved a wolf paw on the end of the handle.              

Thanks again for the feedback, hope i didn't bore you with too much detail. Job now complete, couple of pics with stove fitted and first fire, works a treat and much more efficient/ controllable than

Posted Images

Some hoovers have a fitting on the exhaust that you can put the pipe on, it's so you can blow any blockages out the pipe. You don't see it so much on the new ones but older vacs had it on most of them.

If it sucks air in it's got to blow air out, otherwise .................... BANG

• Like 1

Some hoovers have a fitting on the exhaust that you can put the pipe on, it's so you can blow any blockages out the pipe. You don't see it so much on the new ones but older vacs had it on most of them.

If it sucks air in it's got to blow air out, otherwise .................... BANG

Thanks lads ! I'll have to check it out next time I'm using the hoover....... oops, small problem there........ :D

• Like 1

Think it was Sir Issac Newton ??? or maybe Einstein with his e=mc2??? said "every action has an equal and opposite reaction". So as Biglurks says whatever volume of air it is sucking in it has to blow out. As rodp notes some hoovers actually have a connection if you take the filter cover or dust bag cover off that will take the same hose that fits into the suck side.

This one from memory and the pic i just remover the filter on the blow out side, screwed a piece of plywood across it, drilled two 2" ish holes with a hole saw, cut off the connection for the hose on the suck side and stuck it over one of the holes. The other hole has a flap on a pivot that can be opened or closed to control the volume of air being blown through the forge, if you force too much air it ends up like a volcano and you are dodging lumps of red hot lava raining down on you!

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 3

this is a cracking thread GG, fair play to ye. im not really a fix it up lad but when i get the time i work on a gas bottle log burner/patio heater (i want to be able to heat the workshop in winter then disconnect for the patio in summer). not put much time into it yet but i've got most of the parts ready, just needs putting together. but that could be another year :laugh: i like your belt sander by the way

Edited by norseman
  • Like 1

Cheers norseman. Post up some pics of your stove when you get it made.

I put one together from scrap with my lads a couple of years ago to teach them to weld. They now have it in their "fort" and brew up all manner of stuff on the top.

Only word of warning- be careful when you cut the gas bottle. I thought i had been....took the valve out, washed out with hot soapy water, let the hose run through, left it half full of water when i started to cut and it still went with a thump..... :icon_eek: Must say it fairly shook me up.....but after a change of boxers and a cup of tea with extra sugar i could see the funny side and it all went together well.

From what i have read since, the gas seem to permeate the steel and it is hard to get rid of it. Others advise taking valve out and standing near a bonfire to get it good and hot to evaporate any residue before cutting.

There is an old thread on here somewhere.........ah yes there it is http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/182915-making-woodburner/ and here http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/245173-gas-bottle-stove/

Edited by GruffaloGriff

No baffles in the flue, just welded straight on to bottle. Do have a flap on a pivot in the bottom to control air flow.

Felt a bit guilty about letting it rot so pulled it out yesterday and gave it a blast with the wire cup brush and welded a new hinge on as it had frozen up and broken, brass this time so should be fine outside, heated up and lashed on a coat of waste oil, firs fire will burn the excess off.

DSCN6807_zps0xpa4gja.jpg

DSCN6806_zps9e67bfpi.jpg

DSCN6802_zpswrs7e2bu.jpg

DSCN6801_zpstf3qjirr.jpg

Edited by GruffaloGriff
  • Like 4

Good as new Griff ..!!

Cheers sussex. Wouldn't have it standing in my sitting room but it will keep it going for a few more years in the boys fort until they grow out of it.......saying that at 42 i still haven't grown out of burning things yet!!! :whistling:

• Like 2