Fond Memory's

I spent a nice afternoon today with me dad ,having a chat about some of the things that he did as a kid etc then it turned to what things have stuck in our minds either in the field or wildlife in general . My dad reminded me of an incident that happened to him a few years ago , he was rolling the fields in the tractor and noticed a hare in its form the next line would of brought him over the top of it but obviously he went round it as he did he stopped right next to it watching it from his cab feet from it when the hare gave birth to leveret .

It brought a big smile to his face today recalling that, it's moments like that why I spend so much time in the fields

Any if you got any fond memory's from in the field.

Edited by budharley
  • Like 15

BH - That's pretty amazing.

I've got quite a few from over the years.

Always remember sitting on a stump having a smoke and seeing a mole come up and make a mole hill in front of me.

First time I ever saw wild red deer in Scotland, picture postcard setting, mooching across the hillside in the highlands somewhere, camping with a girl in uni.

Seeing a white fallow doe in my local woods, having that moment when the animal is totally unaware of you for a few moments, even though you are standing in plain sight.

Daft one, but was out lamping a farm localish to me, slipped dog on a bunny, which turned out to be a hare, never ever seen one before on said farm, and as the dog and hare both put in a great performance, and the dog put a couple of turns of good turns into it I realised it was definately going to get caught. So I switched the lamp off. Ended up getting rewarded for it in a funny kind of way.

Don't know if they really count as such, but moments like that, when whatever you were doing, suddenly doesn't really matter so much for a second, and you are just enjoying the being there and getting to experience nature like so many others never do. If that makes any sense.

• Like 9

went for a walk just a few days ago in a local spot seen a rabbit hop out in the middle me and my 3 year old boy told him to keep hes eyes open while I walked around on it with the old bitch he laughed hes head off when he wotched it properly because the bitch missed it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :laugh: that will stick with me he wonted to find more :laugh:

• Like 2

I don't have any as remarkable as the hare but one that sticks with me is ,we have as small fishing pond on our land and I was walking past it one day and there was a mink swimming around in the pond. I stood their in amazement as I'd only ever seen dead ones , I'm stood there like wow look at this when the b*****d dived down and came up with one of my big fekin tench . :) perched on a log in the the middle and proceeded to eat the b*****d . I'm not sure if the tench was dying or not but I wouldn't of believed it had I not seen it .i couldn't let that carry on so rang my dad who came with gun end of Mink. lol

Nothing speciel just sticks with me as I went from wow to right u b*****d in about a second

• Like 1

not amazing but made my day when i saw it i have watched stoats hunting a few times and with success running rabbits out in the open great stamina for such little things i sat and watched fox cubs play fighting rolling round in the grass loads of times even 2 young badger cubs rolling round must of only been 20 feet away totally unware for that few moments king fishers catching and feeding there young on the local canal use to see a barn owl regular down the local fields even hares boxing i can sit and watch nature all day it has always amazed me

• Like 3

mines would be when one evening going to dry fly fish for trout on the local river was still a bit bright so i sat down amongst the reeds/overgrowen river bank with the fly rod hanging out over the river when a few minutes later a kingfisher lands on the rod and sat looking around it for about 3 or 4 minutes before flying off, or the day i was sitting on the river bank waiting for my cousin to show up to we start fishing when 2 otters appeared on the opposite side of the river and started playing/fighting i presume they where mayabe going to mate as it was spring time around the month of march not sure when otters breed but thinking thats what they where at, and otters again was playing a trout one evening it was spashing on top of the water ready for the net when all of a sudden the rod bends in two and then everything goes slack to then see a otters head appear above the water with my trout in its mouth just starting at me and one day in early september walking a local stream for a shot at ducks i came round the corner to see 2 young otters playing fighting running chasing each orther along the shallow stream must of sat and watched them for 15 miuntes before they swam off

mines would be when one evening going to dry fly fish for trout on the local river was still a bit bright so i sat down amongst the reeds/overgrowen river bank with the fly rod hanging out over the river when a few minutes later a kingfisher lands on the rod and sat looking around it for about 3 or 4 minutes before flying off, or the day i was sitting on the river bank waiting for my cousin to show up to we start fishing when 2 otters appeared on the opposite side of the river and started playing/fighting i presume they where mayabe going to mate as it was spring time around the month of march not sure when otters breed but thinking thats what they where at, and otters again was playing a trout one evening it was spashing on top of the water ready for the net when all of a sudden the rod bends in two and then everything goes slack to then see a otters head appear above the water with my trout in its mouth just starting at me and one day in early september walking a local stream for a shot at ducks i came round the corner to see 2 young otters playing fighting running chasing each orther along the shallow stream must of sat and watched them for 15 miuntes before they swam off

Had the same experience with an otter taking an eel of my line, the one and only otter I have seen in the wild.

I used to fish the Clyde and there was a wee robin on one stretch that used to come down and bob about until you chucked him some maggots or a worm....eventually got him to eat out my hand...used to spend more time feeding him than fishing some days.....I also have a robin in my garden that follows me about when I have the spade in my hand.....stands watching till I delve the soil and then I let him dive in to have alook before I carry on....bold wee birds...

• Like 1

Laid at the top of a hill facing the woodland with the moors behind me waiting for long ears to come out and play when i heard some hooves behind me. I laid motionless thinking one of the horses had gotten out. Suddenly there was some sniffing behind me and a nudge on my leg. Not wanting to get my leg broke or worse by the horse I slowly spun around and flicked the gun lamp on. There looking at me was a roe deer. I must've been looking at it as if to say "WTF are you doing?" as it was looking at me as to say "Me? WTF are you doing more like?" It took one bound over my legs and bounced it's way down the hill. I laid there lost in it all.

I was laid down in one of the fields on the same land about an hour before dark so I had my jacket over my head and the gun to break up the outline. I heard what i can only describe as a disgruntled pig making its way across the field behind me. As it drew nearer I lifted the right hand side of my jacket to see what it was. A fox trotted passed me grunting away and looking at me. It passed the end of the air rifle by about an inch at a slow walking pace looking at me but grunting to itself. It grunted al the way down the valley and then up the back of the houses setting off every dog as it passed by.

Driving home when I lived in Cumbria I saw a buzzard circling over one of the fields near the road. I slowed down a bit so i could get a better look and it turned towards me. I was just thinking "I'm going to the get a really good view of this.." when it hit my windshield and bounced up over the car. I stopped to get out and make sure it was ok only to see it gather it thoughts and take off again.

I was invited up to Glasgow to do some fishing on one of the lad's local waters. He'd mentioned that an Osprey had been visiting regularly and we might get a chance t see it. We fished until lunch and then went onto the banks for some food when one of the lads spotted it circling the water. With a twitch of its wings it flipped itself over on its axis and over onto the water before taking off empty talloned. It circled and dove again this time hitting its target and coming out with a trout.

I've had a few kingfishers land on the tip of my fly rod a few times and I regularly get followed around the moors by a short-eared owl when out with the dogs.

I was going earth stopping in the new forest. Early morning and the forest was covered in mist. A massive stag walked out infront of me and just stood there...it was absolutely timeless..took my breath away.

Hunting in the lakedistrict and a red hind cleared the wall infront of me...It was so close I felt the wind off it..a few inches nearer and I swear it would of put me in hospital.

In london....took the dog with a couple mates to the back of a local nut house which is lovely woods. Never see anyone there apart from odd loon whos escaped and talking to themselves. Anyway someone pulled out a joint n thought id try it for the first time. Had a seat and was feeling pretty terrible and wanting it to end lol. Out of no where I see a badger run right past me. Never seen one before, had a convo with my own thoughts in my head convincing myself id imagined it. Didnt say nothing as my mates would think i was chatting shit. Week later though saw.a group of em all running about playing. Being a londoner was nice to see something other than a fox going through the bins.

Seeing a family of tawny owls whilst out lamping.

Calling owls in.

The staffy running head first out of cover headbutting a sheep at full speed in the middle, shaking her head and dashing back into cover :laugh:

Trevor coursing a rabbit on the lamp for a good while through a herd of horses without either him or the horses caring about each other.

The terrier digging down about 2meters to get to a feckin rabbit and getting nailed by the ferret that was down there working :laugh:

Tbh every morning, afternoon, evening and night I get out is a gift that brings its own memories.