You cannot beat a stone wall made with the stone that is natural to that area. Top job there. :thumbs:

I done one in my back garden to make a growing area as the garden sloped at almost 45 degrees. Still going strong 20 years later and will out last me thats for sure.

Nice job TC :-)

2007_0528bag0011.jpg

TC

attachicon.gif2015-03-12 11.57.47.jpgattachicon.gif[url=http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=255716]2015-03-11 09.27.13.

A wee bit off gapping the other day. 10 mins after starting it the heavens opened and horizontal rain all day.

I rushed to get it done so im not that chuffed with it.

I reckon the new fence being errected plus traffic and pressure from stock has had an affect to the wall.

A lot more gaps are forming all the way along.

Space was restricted being next to the road when working.

The wall is a single face most of the way up last 18 inch or so is double. Most walls are built double with random shaped stone with a layer of cover stones under the copes.

Other walls are single boulder with some double at the bottom.

Cheers

Nice job Chicken_man, fair play to you, that is a great skill/trade to have.
Thanks very much :-)

Not sure about that, but in them days they had the labour do do all the walls, unlike today. Some men built, some shaped stones, some filled in, and some brought stone to site. All using stone brought up by ploughing, and quarrying on site.

I've seen some amazing walls, some very vertical ones. Some parts of the country they erected shelters over the walls, like a tunnel, and worked all weather's.

The styles differ in just a few miles some places depending on stone. Lake district is lovely flat stuff, Yorkshire dales, big lumps of limestone.

Hardy men back then, day in, day out, all weather.

Where abouts in the lakes have you been walling? Most the stuff on my farms like beck cobbles apart from round the fell wall that's no bad stuff in parts. If anybody whants to learn to wall I've got plenty to practice on about 16 mile altogether at home. Always lookin for some free labour haha.

• Like 1

Certainly one job I could never do always ended up with black fingers when I tried good money too be made at it though wats the going rate these days chicken man 120 a meter last time I heard done a good job on that one

Not sure about that, but in them days they had the labour do do all the walls, unlike today. Some men built, some shaped stones, some filled in, and some brought stone to site. All using stone brought up by ploughing, and quarrying on site.

I've seen some amazing walls, some very vertical ones. Some parts of the country they erected shelters over the walls, like a tunnel, and worked all weather's.

The styles differ in just a few miles some places depending on stone. Lake district is lovely flat stuff, Yorkshire dales, big lumps of limestone.

Where abouts in the lakes have you been walling? Most the stuff on my farms like beck cobbles apart from round the fell wall that's no bad stuff in parts. If anybody whants to learn to wall I've got plenty to practice on about 16 mile altogether at home. Always lookin for some free labour haha.

you may be saying that in jest mate but i would take you up on the offer! my mate has a farm near shap that i often just go for a week to help him out and get away from things for a bit, no money ever changes hands we just enjoy the craic and a few beers lol Ive done a fair bit of walling with him and would always like to improve on my skills, so if you want a free labourer for a weekend ill come up in my camper and give you a hand? always nice to meet new people and learn different ways of doing things. (and i do genuinly enjoy it lol)

• Like 1

you may be saying that in jest mate but i would take you up on the offer! my mate has a farm near shap that i often just go for a week to help him out and get away from things for a bit, no money ever changes hands we just enjoy the craic and a few beers lol Ive done a fair bit of walling with him and would always like to improve on my skills, so if you want a free labourer for a weekend ill come up in my camper and give you a hand? always nice to meet new people and learn different ways of doing things. (and i do genuinly enjoy it lol)
Drop me a pm if your keen then mate and we can sort something out. And everybody else is welcome as well don't feel left out believe me there's enough for everyone to have a go. Edited by Blackdog92
  • Like 2