600 Grams Of Dry Food 22 % Protein

My dog is 13 months old saluki greyhound. I'm running him twice a week and walk him every day Iv wormed him twice in the last 4 weeks. He isn't putting any weight on. How much should I feed him and should I change food to hire protein. My other 2 dogs are on the same food and look fine.collie greyhound , and a saluki bull greyhound.

always hard to tell from a picture, but that dog looks fine to me. i havent weighed feed for years, and its not great to rely on a set of scales , but as a rough guide a dog should get between 2 and 4 % of its body weight per day, depending on age, activity, weather conditions etc etc. so if your dog weighs, at a guess, 30kg then what you are feeding him is within these guidelines

Its not rocket science. Its your dog, and if YOU think its under weight, feed it more than you are. if its running to your satisfaction, then feed it the same

If you are looking for "answers", At 13 months, it looks a touch underweight, but don't look like its been run proper "twice a week"

I have only had the dog 8 weeks and he hadn't done much and was un fit. I first started road walking him for 2 miles a day and give him 3/ 4 runs on a Sunday morning then for the last 4 weeks Iv added lamping every Thursday and give him 5/6 runs on a Sunday morning not doing the road walking I just walk a hour around local fields where they chase each other and play. Maybe it's too much for him for his age.?

At 13 months he's barely finishing his growth, and like others have said, you won't get a dog of that type to look like a Labrador no matter how hard you try. You can improve his overall condition though. Feeding by how much it says to feed on a bag of dog food means nothing. Each dog is different. But I'd strongly recommend you feed him some decent meat, fat and bone as well as the dry stuff you are feeding him. 22% isn't much for a young active dog, and I dare say that the food you are feeding is more cereal than meat?

• Like 4

Try adding carbs and feed twice a day. Tends to rounding the off abit, plus feed by eye looking ribby up the food looking to heavy just drop slightly.

And if you can get him on meat. Even if its just some off his meals plus eggs, tinned fish ect

I don't think he under weight and my pal I go out with every Sunday says he fine and he been running dogs for 45 years. It's the lad that gave him me.the problem is he not catching anything during day, he runs well gets up to them and stays but they all just get away in time so the lad I got him off said I'm running well under weight. So I'll up his weight see if he runs better.he had him on redmills so I'll get him back on that and ad some raw mince chicken.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want him to perform like an athlete, feed him like an athlete, I think this is a problem with inadequate diets the dog gets the blame, 22% is not enough for a growing dog, imagine having a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and then trying to graft all day, you would also look inadequate for the task, get some beef mince with a 20% fat content brown/white rice or pasta with some greens and watch him come on in leaps and bounds....

• Like 2