Hiding Dead Rabbits?

Really weird question now. My new permission doesn't like the idea of leaving dead rabbits around…surprise! However, unlike my other permissions, the farmer neither wants the rabbits, nor does he care how I dispose of them. 3 hungry dogs, and my latest desire to learn to properly preserve an animal fur, are enough to deal with that issue. The only problem now is, the new permission is near a lot of public paths! So when I've taken out a rabbit, I then need to keep it with me.

Any suggestions with this? I can't exactly slit behind the tendon, hook the legs, then carry them on a stick 'Tom Sawyer Style' if he doesn't want the dead bunnies trapsed/paraded. So a quarry carrier hooked to the trousers/belt won't do here either. I know there is the option to shoot late in the day, but I'm on about those 'too beautiful a day to not be outside with a gun' kind of situations.

I'm thinking of a quarry bag, but prefer the backpack style of carrying (I'm not a shoulder carry kind of guy. It doesn't look good on me. In fact it makes me look like a caveman with a school satchel).

Any recommendations? I want something that I can take out the inside and clean out, because of blood spillage.

I was thinking of just getting some quarry bags (cotton style quarry bags) and just getting a plastic bag style liner for the inside, for any blood spillage.

What do you guys use?

i carry a camo rucksack & put the rabbits in that when shot it balances well on my back & i can take other shots , but only when theres a few in it ,after that i have to take it off to shoot , i usually gut them as i shoot them to keep weight down (its washable inside )

Used a heavy duty school bag type thing for years that was sort of rubber lined. Could hold about 20 when full to the brim. I now use a mountaineering rucksack that's 75litres dread to think how many it can hold, certainly more than I'd be able to carry, can fit roe in it as well

When we are out ferreting we use a game bag and dump them in piles usually covered with vegitation till im either on the way back or pick them up with the motor

When we are out lamping we use a big army rutsack and fire them in there till we reach a gate and hide them there or in the car ive a big plastic box i put them in then a quick rinse with the power washer and its clean again

Jack pyke rucksack mine rinses out well mate you can probably get one in same camo to match your coat mate

Is that the 25L one? The reviews say nothing about the inside of it, whether it's easy rinse/wipe clean or what.

Army bergen is a no go. Great idea! But for this situation a bergen would be way too big. Lots of woodland to get through from one section to another (if taking a short cut and not walking around the woods). If I was out getting deer, I'd definitely go with the bergen, but this is a more 'low profile' only a few rabbits, kind of thing.

When we are out ferreting we use a game bag and dump them in piles usually covered with vegitation till im either on the way back or pick them up with the motor

When we are out lamping we use a big army rutsack and fire them in there till we reach a gate and hide them there or in the car ive a big plastic box i put them in then a quick rinse with the power washer and its clean again

I thought of this too mate. Only issue...nosey dogs. The reason I have to hide the rabbits is dog walkers. So a pup sticking its nose into a handful of rabbits hidden.... :-( Plus, I don't want a dog running off with food I planned to give to my dogs.

I use a Shakespear Oddysey game bag, the main compartment is lined by a waterproof inner held in place by 4 heavy duty press studs, so can be removed for cleaning. Have had 7 rabbits in it and there was room for possibly 1 or 2 more.

Hunters vermin has a youtube review (starts about 3 mins in), which is why I bought it. All depends on how many rabbits/birds you normally bag as to whether it would be suitable.

https://youtu.be/Zq7dSv0sMkI

Edited to add... Just been looking to find a link to one and can't find one anywhere (only the small game bags), so I assume they don't make them anymore, but only had this one 2 years. Shooting mate was impressed enough to buy one himself when he saw it.

Edited by Mister Gain
  • Like 1

I use a Shakespear Oddysey game bag, the main compartment is lined by a waterproof inner held in place by 4 heavy duty press studs, so can be removed for cleaning. Have had 7 rabbits in it and there was room for possibly 1 or 2 more.

Hunters vermin has a youtube review (starts about 3 mins in), which is why I bought it. All depends on how many rabbits/birds you normally bag as to whether it would be suitable.

Edited to add... Just been looking to find a link to one and can't find one anywhere (only the small game bags), so I assume they don't make them anymore, but only had this one 2 years. Shooting mate was impressed enough to buy one himself when he saw it.

Been discontinued, but I managed to get one before they all ran out.

Good game bag :thumbs:

• Like 1

Been discontinued, but I managed to get one before they all ran out.

Good game bag :thumbs:

Yeah! That bag, but as a backpack! I can't stand the single stap shoulder-bags.

I think I'll do a little combo of what everyone's saying. Jack Pyke backpack, with a wheely bin liner, and I might even wrap up each bunny in a Tesco bag (Waitrose, because I'm a snob haha). Sounds like a lot of effort, but I am happy with that.

Great info. Thanks everyone.

Might sound bit odd, even wimpy…… but when carrying several rabbits in a bag, do you have problems with fleas? May just be my part of GB, but most rabbits I shoot seem to host significant amounts of the wretched blighters. Any tried and tested ideas for not inadvertently becoming their next victim? I hate fleas almost as much as I detest ticks.

Horrible critters.

• Like 1

Might sound bit odd, even wimpy but when carrying several rabbits in a bag, do you have problems with fleas? May just be my part of GB, but most rabbits I shoot seem to host significant amounts of the wretched blighters. Any tried and tested ideas for not inadvertently becoming their next victim? I hate fleas almost as much as I detest ticks.

Horrible critters.

Flea collar round ur neck ha ha :) :) :)

• Like 1