Pet Collie Leading The Way

my old mans pet collie showing my pack how its done :icon_redface:

collies are brill rabbiting dogs, got great nose on them, Bryn my 1x collie x grey great at mooching finding stuff and so is my 1x gsd x grey, the herding types deff have natural ability :yes:
quick question. Nosey lol

What age is Bryn now bird?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like others have said the collie x is very much like marmite,I like having one around..ugly fecking thing it is but hand on heart it would run through fire to catch,no stalking EVER,ferreting,lamping,

http://youtu.be/2PhUlGilOy4       my old mans pet collie showing my pack how its done  

Bushing rabbits with a bobbery pack is the Sport of Kings,...I fecking love it....   The mouching game, is a stars flight away, from the discipline required on a serious day's ferreting,...   Fac

collies are brill rabbiting dogs, got great nose on them, Bryn my 1x collie x grey great at mooching finding stuff and so is my 1x gsd x grey, the herding types deff have natural ability :yes:

he is 8 this sep, Buck 3 in august , he not old but obviously I will take Buck out and work him , more than Bryn, as you take out the best dog out. ive had some good days+nights with bryn worked him quite hard for 6 1/2 years ,I give him the odd night, but Buck my main dog now .

he is 8 this sep, Buck 3 in august , he not old but obviously I will take Buck out and work him , more than Bryn, as you take out the best dog out. ive had some good days+nights with bryn worked him quite hard for 6 1/2 years ,I give him the odd night, but Buck my main dog now .
thanks bird was wondering his age now lol always liked the look of Bryn :thumbs:

Collies xs the original lurcher, often said a one man dog for a one dog man, either love them or hate them, but for me collie blooded lurchers take some beating, prime example last week we were bolting to ferrets young lad brought his 2yr old lurcher with us. my mates old collie grey was standing backstump to a 50 yd length of briars my collie grey beddy grey covered the end 40 yds from the ferrets, young kids dog darting around like a headless chicken, had 4 bolted lost 1 and beddy collie cross accounted for 3. End of the day young lad said to me that dog of yours is a lucky sod just happended to be in the right place? Theres no point trying to educate pork is there. :thumbs: YIS KIC

• Like 1

I've enjoyed my bushing/mooching/ferreting a lot more since I increased the percentage of pastoral blood in my dogs to 100!

I know they're not as fast but they often have the knack of being in the right spot at the right time and I personally find working with them a lot more fun.

do you find them more obedient than other types youve had?

ive had and been out with a few highly driven dogs and theyre a pain in the arse a lot of the time,i enjoy going out with my curret slow,stupid busher more tha any of them because she does exactly as shes told no matter what,never argues over a catch or huts too far etc

It's difficult to say as the lurchers I worked previously were all beardie, border or kelpie blooded too so they've all been obedient...I used to get parents coming up and asking if I could train their kids...but they've all been different. I had a collie x whippet called Skye who was unbelievably obedient (I once worked out that she "understood" over sixty individual words, phrases or gestures). However, although she always did exactly what she was told she only did what she was told and had virtually no initiative. Comparatively, the kelpies are clever enough to know when to do as their told and when they can get away with pushing the boundaries. Or, to put it another way: Skye did everything first time whereas they do it "within the allotted time." :whistling:

• Like 3

I've enjoyed my bushing/mooching/ferreting a lot more since I increased the percentage of pastoral blood in my dogs to 100!

I know they're not as fast but they often have the knack of being in the right spot at the right time and I personally find working with them a lot more fun.

out of interest, how far from 100% did you go before you went to the dark side?

out of interest, how far from 100% did you go before you went to the dark side?

"The dark Side"? :D ...I had a first cross beardie x greyhound, a 3/4 beardie/border 1/4 greyhound, a collie x whippet (sire was 3/4 border 1/4 beardie and dam was 3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound but with an added collie x greyhound a few generations back on the whippet side) and a kelpie/collie x greyhound.

It would be difficult to rate them in order as I freely admit to getting on much better with dogs than bitches so, in general, my males have always been my favourites. The only exception is my wee Scout...I don't like her as much as Rusty and Noggin but she's the best bitch I've ever had. :toast:

Edited to add: when I started out with lurchers over twenty years ago I found myself preferring the base blood individuals I met and I only really got lurchers because I thought you had to...sounds stupid doesn't it! It was only when I bought Rusty, initially as a means to breed a replacement lurcher, that it finally clicked that I didn't have to have sighthound in my dogs to enjoy my time with them. We don't catch anywhere near as much as most second rate lurchers but I definitely prefer life now.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5

i have line bred collie/grey types nowadays, but have had all sorts of collie based dogs over the years (as well as some with no collie at all) and i still maintain that a decent bitza lurcher crossed to a pure collie takes some beating a s a knockabout jack of all trades, try-anything hunting dog. usually a bit slow to be the dreamt-of all rounder, but hell you can ask them to do anything and they will die trying, almost indectructible, great nose and feet and run all day as well as most of the nfollowing night!

just ask fuji!!

• Like 2